Hand Foot and Mouth Disease

My sister two daughter came down with this just last week.....:sick:

My boys are all teens or older now......wishing all kiddies affected a speedy recovery! :thumbsup2

Were you on the 7/10 Dream?

Yes we were.......I am not saying she got it from the cruise, could have got it prior, on airplane, hotel room the night before.....but I just want others to be aware and be proactive on their trip. It's heartbreaking to see two little ones in pain, can't walk, swallow.....It's hard to watch.

Yes we were.......I am not saying she got it from the cruise, could have got it prior, on airplane, hotel room the night before.....but I just want others to be aware and be proactive on their trip. It's heartbreaking to see two little ones in pain, can't walk, swallow.....It's hard to watch.

We were on that cruise also. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this.

Unfortunately, there is not medicine to cure it. It has to run it's course. ...and yes, it sucks big time. I got it from both of my kids. The first time wasn't a big deal. I had a couple of bumps on the tips of my fingers and a sore in my mouth. The second time, I got it really bad. I had a bunch on my feet and hands and a really bad one in my mouth. It was so bad in mouth that I didn't eat for a day and a half and after a while I was so hungry, I forced myself to eat and endure the pain. I ended up losing about 5 pounds from the ordeal. With the bumps of my feet, I could barely walk. Everytime I took a step, it felt like I was walking on pins and needles. With the bumps on my hand, I could hold a pen to write. Again, it felt like pins and needles when I wold try and write.

The kicker is after the virus is cleared. Everywhere where you had the little bumps, the cells basically die so the skin basically peels off because the dead cell is being replaced with living cells in your skin. So you basically are peeling like a sun burn. My kid and I were peeling like crazy.

I was miserable so I definitely feel for the kids. If your child has it, please be sympathetic and pretty much give them whatever they want.

I'll second that it is not fun - and also confirm that though they talk about it being something caught by young kids, that adults can get it. Somehow, it was going around at my daughter's preschool a couple of years ago. Even though I never would drop her off or pick her up, and she never showed any symptoms herself, I ended up with it. The symptoms started at the end of the first day I arrived for a conference overseas (I have wondered if the lack of sleep on the overnight flight was enough to let it take hold in me). Not a fun time... the mouth ulcers I got during it were unbelievably bad, and the bumps on the hands and feet were very annoying. Being in France and not wanting to eat just seems wrong! Fortunately, I was over most of it within a couple of days, so I didn't get quarantined on my return home or anything!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter