halloween party tips?

STLMickeyMom

DIS Veteran
we're planning a trip for September and are going to do our first Halloween party. i'm not so concerned with trick or treating or the dance parties, but would like to do the parade, fireworks and villains mix and mingle. my daughters have said they'd like to do rides over waiting for characters and the only one they want to really see during the party is jack sparrow. any tips for first time party goers with 2 kids (ages 7 & 4 when we go)? any must dos, anything that you wish you would have skipped? thanks for any advice!

p.s. we are planning to spend the morning at the resort, sleeping in and napping before we go at 4.

Villians mix and mingle was pure chaos when we went in 2011. No order to it at all. If you want to do it just be at the front of the castle stage when their show is going on to even have a chance. I never got to, and that was pretty much the only reason we went to the party. In order for us to do the fireworks and get a spot for the parade where I could see (I was in a wheelchair for the first time), that was about all we got done that night. The parade was cool, but not worth the two hours I sat there saving my place.

we're planning a trip for September and are going to do our first Halloween party. i'm not so concerned with trick or treating or the dance parties, but would like to do the parade, fireworks and villains mix and mingle. my daughters have said they'd like to do rides over waiting for characters and the only one they want to really see during the party is jack sparrow. any tips for first time party goers with 2 kids (ages 7 & 4 when we go)? any must dos, anything that you wish you would have skipped? thanks for any advice!

p.s. we are planning to spend the morning at the resort, sleeping in and napping before we go at 4.

Enter at 4pm with just your party ticket to maximize your park time. Don't waste time at a TS meal, do QS. Be in line for Jack by 6:15 so you can be one of the first to see him. Stand near or sit at a table near The Plaza for Hallowishes and as soon as they are over, make your way to Frontierland for the second parade. Catch whichever Villains show you can get to. As long as you don't care to meet any of the villains, you shouldn't have any chaotic issues with that.

thanks for the tips so far! I don't know that we'll need to meet any villains--i'm afraid our girls will be too intimidated when they see them and I don't want to waste our time if they don't want to meet them.

this is probably a silly question, but....do they give you a bag to collect candy in or should I have something with us? i'm not going to go out of my way to trick or treat, but if we come upon a place, I want to make sure the kids have somewhere to stash their goodies.

Don't even bother with QS. Took an hour at pesos bill last October. It was a madhouse. Eat a big meal before the party even starts.

thanks for the tips so far! I don't know that we'll need to meet any villains--i'm afraid our girls will be too intimidated when they see them and I don't want to waste our time if they don't want to meet them.

this is probably a silly question, but....do they give you a bag to collect candy in or should I have something with us? i'm not going to go out of my way to trick or treat, but if we come upon a place, I want to make sure the kids have somewhere to stash their goodies.

They will give each person a wristband and a bag upon entry. :thumbsup2

an hour?!? I might be skipping that delicious taco salad after all! thanks for the heads up!

awesome--one less thing to worry about! thanks!

We have eaten at Cosmic Rays the last several years prior to the party. We get to the restaurant around 5:10pm, eat, hit the restroom, and are in line for a character by 6pm. We've never had a long wait there.

Another question....does it matter which villains show you do? Is the first one easier to see/the last one less crowded or does it not really matter?

We went 3rd week of Sept this past year on a Friday night. The villians show was awesome (went to the 7 pm ish one) but meeting the villians after FOR GET IT! Mad house.

We had ressies at the Plaza for 4:15 and it was perfect. We pigged out, went got our wrist bands and bags, hit a few rides and then trick or treated. The areas to stay away from for trick or treat are the heart of Fantasy land. They were the most crowd lines. Back by Tomorrow land, new FL were dead and we did that stuff during the first parade.

Don't miss the fireworks. They are worth a wait but not 2 hours. We didn't wait two hours but about 20 min. Do the second parade. We were up front near the entrance so it took a while for it to come to us but it was worth it. There was a long pause between the headless horseman and the actual parade though so be prepared for that. The parade ended about 30 before park closing so if you want to get in some more trick or treating then, good time to do it as about 75% of the park left.

Character meet and greets: get in line early. If that's what you really want, get there as soon as possible. Not sure about Jack Sparrow but for Jack & Sally (first year in WDW) the wait was over an hour.

We went 3rd week of Sept this past year on a Friday night. The villians show was awesome (went to the 7 pm ish one) but meeting the villians after FOR GET IT! Mad house.

We had ressies at the Plaza for 4:15 and it was perfect. We pigged out, went got our wrist bands and bags, hit a few rides and then trick or treated. The areas to stay away from for trick or treat are the heart of Fantasy land. They were the most crowd lines. Back by Tomorrow land, new FL were dead and we did that stuff during the first parade.

Don't miss the fireworks. They are worth a wait but not 2 hours. We didn't wait two hours but about 20 min. Do the second parade. We were up front near the entrance so it took a while for it to come to us but it was worth it. There was a long pause between the headless horseman and the actual parade though so be prepared for that. The parade ended about 30 before park closing so if you want to get in some more trick or treating then, good time to do it as about 75% of the park left.

Character meet and greets: get in line early. If that's what you really want, get there as soon as possible. Not sure about Jack Sparrow but for Jack & Sally (first year in WDW) the wait was over an hour.

thanks for the tips! we have narrowed down our character meets to 1, maybe 2. I can't stand in lines the whole party....it'll drive me (not to mention DH) NUTS! :headache: and I think we'll watch the villain show, but not stick around to try to get any pictures unless the crowd is small. i'd rather do other stuff then try to keep track of the kids in the craziness....

Sooooo---does anyone know the answer to this one: can you make FP reservations for the time before the party? We are only going to be at parks Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I will make FP reservations for Thursday and Saturday (we will have 2 day park tickets). What about the 3 hours from 4-7 on the party day where we get in with our party ticket? Can we make FP reservations for things then or would that use up a day of fastpass availability for us since we will only have 2 day tickets? Just wondering.

Here are the things I'd like to do before the party---meet tiana and naveen. We didn't on our last two trips and my youngest was pretty bummed after the second miss. Ride Ariel's ride and meet her (?). Ride POC. ride haunted mansion. Do the tiki room.

During the party I think we have decided on just meeting jack sparrow and maybe trying to see jasmine and Aladdin towards the end of the night in hopes of seeing them all together. We want to see the parade and fireworks and villain show (but not wait to get pictures unless a line is super short). Mostly we want to ride the rides without much wait! We want to do BTMRR, tea cups, astro orbiter, dumbo--really anything outside because I love riding when everything is lit up.

So is that a reasonable plan for a party night, being there from 4 until we pass out or midnight, whichever comes first?

We met Jack Sparrow last October at MNSSHP. It was right after the second parade. We waited about 5 minutes and we were at a sold out party.

We met Jack Sparrow last October at MNSSHP. It was right after the second parade. We waited about 5 minutes and we were at a sold out party.

That's awesome! I hope that happens for us! I keep hoping for some miracle and character meets will be super quick!

And--just so people know--I added a "?" To the title of this thread. I was afraid people might be looking for tips here and didn't want to be confusing. :blush:

Does anyone know the answer to this.....with the party ticket, they will let you into the park at 4pm. So, can I book a fast pass for something that day in that 4-7 timeframe before the party? Just trying to increase my chances of getting an Elsa and Anna fastpass. Thanks!

Does anyone know where I can find out more about this event? This is our first year going. I know we want to do this party but I have no clue about it, what will be going on, and what we will need to do. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter