Halloween on the High Seas Events

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
We are cruising on the Dream in October; myself, my DH, and my DD8. DH and I are not dressing up but DD is. You trick or treat in the afternoon, right? Is that when most kiddos change into costumes, or do you see them from sun up to sun down? Do they typically wear their costumes to dinner also?

My main reason for asking all this is we are heading to MNSSHP the day we disembark from our cruise, and I'm wondering what the probability is that said costume will remain clean. It's always a toss up with her, she isn't a super dainty little girl so usually when you want something to remain clean, it doesn't.

Thanks!

On our Halloween cruise, there were 2 times to trick or treat. Once during the main seating and once during the second seating. Our Halloween was on a port day. So most of the activities happened in the evening, so it was not an all day event. We dressed up during dinner, as did most of the passengers.

My husband and I didn't dress up or our adult daughter and her husband, just the grandkids.
We wore t-shirts as our costumes. I wore a jelly shirt, hubby wore peanut butter. My daughter wore a Coke shirt and her hubby a Jack Daniels shirt.
It gets super crowded, so stay close especially if you have smaller kids.
Have fun

We're going on a Halloween cruise in 2020 (my dad/his gf, me, and my son (he'll be 5)) - we're planning at least one group costume + pirate night.

When we were on the Halloween cruise last year, we saw all different types of thinking regarding the amount of time in costume. We saw people in them all day, some just during trick-or-treating time, some had no costume at all (and they were still welcomed and encouraged to trick-or-treat around to the different stations, btw). It was basically Halloween all over the place, at all different levels and times, with all families doing it differently. Fun, crazy, and chaotic during the trick-or-treating time, so like previous said, be ready to keep your small kiddos close!

Cruising on a 3 night HOHS October 2019, at what event does the old tree turn in to the pumpkin tree? looking at last years navigators but can’t pick it out. Thanks in advance.

I just saw the Sept 9th navigator and it started at 2:45 or 4:15. It says “Trick or Treat” followed by “ Mickeys Mouse-Querade Party.

Cruising on a 3 night HOHS October 2019, at what event does the old tree turn in to the pumpkin tree? looking at last years navigators but can’t pick it out. Thanks in advance.
On the Sept 9th Navigator, it lists The Pumpkin Tree at 7:45 pm on embarkation day. Maybe this is it?

We have princess tea reservations and get finished with that and head to Halloween festivities. Wondering if anyone has worn their pirate/ Halloween costumes to the tea?

We just got off the Dream today. Pumpkin tree is up, Mouseqerade and Trick or Treating in full swing. Our cruise had the Halloween events on the same day as Pirate Night so some kids wore costumes to trick or treat and then changed into pirate gear, some just picked one (costume or pirate) and stuck with it. Mostly saw costumes in the afternoon/evening.

Thank you for the info. Ours will be the same, Halloween/pirate night on the same afternoon and evening. I feel like the Royal tea is more formal and wouldn’t be appropriate for adults to wear their costume even though we get out at 4:30 and Halloween festivities are going on right then in atrium. 🤔

Going on the 6 day Fantasy cruise that actually sails during Halloween. Assuming it will be more costumes then other cruises? We just had some friends come back from a Halloween cruise and they said adults mainly just dressed during “trick or treat time”

We have been on several HOTHS cruises, some over actual Halloween and I don't think the actual Halloween cruise had any more costumes than other HOTHS cruises. We are going again over actual Halloween this year on the Magic. In the past I have seen plenty of adults dressed up from about mid day on, including dinner. Kids of all ages wore costumes pretty much all day on the cruises I have been on. We wore our Halloween costumes to dinner (late dining) and then the adults headed to the adult Halloween party in the adult area....so much fun with a costume contest.

MJ438857438858438859

Some of my different costumes over the years....Ghost Host, Evil Queen and Maleficent. This year I may be Sorcerer Mickey.

MJ

Last edited:
Love the costumes!! Would you say the adults that dressed up for dinner were more then not, 50:50, less dressed up?

we will be on our first cruise ever on the dream on Oct 28 to Nov 1st. we are so super excited! it will be Me, DH and DD7. This is a combo 15th wedding anniversary / early 8th birthday trip! we usually do Mickeys not so scary Halloween party in the parks and get tons of candy from the trick or treat, how does the trick or treat on the ship compare to the parks? I mean i'm sure it's not as over the top on the amount of candy that you get but I could be wrong. I don't think hubby and I will dress up but we may change our minds and do that. my daughter will for sure dress up. Can the adults trick or treat too? or is it kids only?? Any tips, advice or cruise hacks are appreciated!

we will be on our first cruise ever on the dream on Oct 28 to Nov 1st. we are so super excited! it will be Me, DH and DD7. This is a combo 15th wedding anniversary / early 8th birthday trip! we usually do Mickeys not so scary Halloween party in the parks and get tons of candy from the trick or treat, how does the trick or treat on the ship compare to the parks? I mean i'm sure it's not as over the top on the amount of candy that you get but I could be wrong. I don't think hubby and I will dress up but we may change our minds and do that. my daughter will for sure dress up. Can the adults trick or treat too? or is it kids only?? Any tips, advice or cruise hacks are appreciated!

Great question. First ever cruise and HOTHS for us as well. We have done MNSSHP and loved it (not so much on the MVMCP). Following this for sure.

I want to disclaim what I’m about to say by being clear that we’ve never done MNSSHP. That said, the trick or treating on the ship last week reminded me of the worst things about Disney. Long and chaotic lines at six stations with a fistful of candy hastily thrown in a bag once you get to the front of said long and chaotic line. Then you try to cut through more crowds to get to the next long line. When you’re done, you desperately hope that an adult might be gracious enough to let your small three year old stand in front of them along the second or third story railing so she can see at least PART of the show near the pumpkin tree (spoiler alert: no one did).

I’m not sure what I expected, tbh. But I’ll probably save Halloween for home and go on a non-themed cruise in the future.

I hate to be a buzzkill. I loved our first cruise. But the Halloween situation was by far the least awesome part of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter