• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Had to finally book with NCL because Disney wanted me to sell my house... lol

I have read all pages of this thread today because I am considering jumping ship for other lines due to the new policy changes along with the rising prices.

My main concern is how are other lines with food allergies? I have a crazy allergy to citric acid and Disney is wonderful. It concerns me that with no set servers my allergy wouldn't be taken as seriously on other lines as it is with DCL. Anyone here have first hand experience with allergies on another cruise line?

As long as you don't do your time or anytime dining on the others you'll have the same table and servers on the other lines. At least on CCL it is that way and I believe RCCL is that way as well. Hopefully @bumbershoot will weigh in on this, she has logged quite a few nights on RCCL.

You'll probably want to stay away from NCL if you are considering leaving DCL because of policy changes. There have been multiple policy and pricing changes there over the past few months that have people up in arms on the message boards as well, many of which are much more significant than DCL's "if you want alcohol, you'll have to buy it from us" policy change.

As I stated in my first sentence- I have read ALL PAGES of this thread. Therefore I have read all changes listed for NCL. I understand they have changed policies but not to the extent of DCL with chargining for a premium but yet changing policies to be more in line with the cruise standard.

My question had to do with how food allergies are handled on other lines, not which line should I sail with.

We like AP just as much if not more than the other MDRs. The tenderloin with wasabi mashed potatoes is good, been a favorite since our very first cruise. The Crush interaction is fun to watch. On our first ladies cruise Crush talked to me. You should've seen his face when he asked who I was there with. "27 ladies, no men or kids. We left them all at home." His jaw dropped. Silence & disbelief. It was such a hysterical interaction.

My guys go nutty for the French onion soup in Royal Court. They always put in special orders asking for it to be made or brought over to them regardless of what dining room we're in every night.

I forget which restaurant it is but the truffle pursettes are really, really divine. I try not to order them because they're dangerous. But so amazing.

On the pirate menu they have pot stickers & this pineapple spear dish for appetizers. I always mess up & order the potstickers then get aggravated because they don't have the dark sauce I'm used to getting with them at my favorite Chinese takeout at home. The pineapple spear dish is so good. I love that one.

We won't have the Frozen menu on the Dream but it debuted on our WBPC. I can't not tell you about this! One of the appetizers was a meat & cheese plate of some sort. I kid you not, one of the meats was straight up potted meat! I know that taste! My super-country-fied relatives used to feed it to us. No lie, I took a pic since I got home, you can buy a can of that crap at Walmart for like $.30. I was rather shocked to see it served anywhere other than at a campsite. LOL! Then I sat there giggling at the notion. It just struck me funny, I guess.

I know I don't talk too fondly of the MDRs as a whole. You know my food issues already. I get bored sitting there. And I don't like the repetitiveness after sailing with Disney so much. I've started inventing my own dishes. I'll ask for 2 of the salads for the evening + a lighter note steak cooked medium. I cut up the steak, dump it on the double salad, and voila. Made up my own dinner. I also hate & despise their dinner rolls. You could hurt somebody with those rocks. We took to cracking them open & digging out the soft innards. Disney seriously could use some lessons in bread baking. And when you serve bread the butter should be soft, not fresh out of the fridge. It doesn't spread when it's hard. We would rub the unopened butter packets in our hands before attempting to use them. LOL! My only other complaint would be the desserts. I do not like the majority of the desserts anywhere on the ship. They mostly have this reoccurring textural theme, gelatinous-themed creations like how flan is. Or cheesecake. Or pudding. The soufflés people go insane about are okay but, again, the texture throws me. Even when they attempt cakes, the frosting is gel-like and ruins it. My raging sweet tooth has no issues with control on Disney cruises. I won't hardly touch a dessert. Even if I'm tempted enough to take a bite, a bite is all it takes to go right back to "Nope."
Oh boy do I ever agree with you on all points about the food and dining in the MDRs. And desserts everywhere on the ship (excluding Palo) look so pretty but taste like crap.

Hmm, I don't think they're more significant, no. DCL's liquor policy change potentially removes HUNDREDS of dollars per trip that people were previously saving on alcohol, especially on longer cruises. NCL's changes, while mildly annoying, have amounted to something like fifty cents per day in stateroom charges and an $8 room service fee ... At half the cruise price of DCL.

And NCL seems to have calmed down for now. Something tells me Disney is just getting started. Don't forget that a la carte priced ice cream and candy is on the way.

I don't disagree with most of what you have said, but the hundreds of pages of complaints on that 'other' cruise board over the shortening of time spent in port / increase in the daily gratuities / the room service fee / the no taking food from restaurants debacle / the addition of an 18% auto-gratuity onto newly purchased unlimited dining and beverages and on a la carte meals in the specialty dining restaurants / the removal of Nickelodeon / the cap on the number of kids in the clubs/ etc., tells me that I'm apparently not upset enough about the changes they have recently instituted. My point in this thread was that the poster I responded to was talking about changing cruise lines because of this change in policy on DCL, and I was trying to illustrate that the grass wasn't necessarily greener on the other side of the fence.

You saw me pretty active over on that thread. LOL!

Look, Imma be straight up with y'all right now. On the few DCL sailings I have booked beyond September this year I guarantee you I will be smuggling liquor onboard. If I get busted & they dump my stash I'll take it standing up and not pitch a fit. Can't blame a girl for trying.

Yep, cutbacks & changes happen with all companies not just cruise lines. Think of the rolling around over on the CC boards that happened when the auto-grats were raised. Now, imagine that here. It's not a matter of if it will happen, eventually it will. DCL is going to have to keep up with the industry standard on that.

I really do hope they come out with some inclusive adult beverage packages on DCL. Even if I never get my full quarter's worth, the convenience and peace of mind is so worth it. And, yes, even if they have the packages available and I pay for one I will STILL pack some amount of liquor in my luggage. Did it when I sailed Allure and somehow that hooch tasted a whole lot sweeter. I'm such a little rebel, huh? LOL!
Love this - I'm already doing plenty of research for my upcoming cruise. I'd love to hear any methods that you find work so I can enjoy my mixed drink on my verandah :)

Just for fun I decided to check the difference in rates for my future cruise on DCL in January vs the same week and cabin cat on NCL Escape, their newest ship, same itinerary. We booked onboard the Fantasy a year out and got 10% off so we paid $2444 minus port fees and taxes, and got a $200 stateroom credit. On the Escape the same comparable cabin as of right now is $1498 without port fees and taxes. And with current promotions we could get the free unlimited drink package.
So a net difference of $746, and I have to ask myself is the difference in fare worth the "Disney difference?" I'd have to say for me, no. I feel like my fare is subsidizing children's programming I never use. I wish I could convince our traveling friends to switch cruise lines.
I also checked for an Alaska cruise next summer, NCL Pearl vs DCL Wonder, same criteria- $2742 on The Wonder vs $1458 Pearl. We could do a 10 day glacier Bay cruise on NCL two weeks earlier for $1698.
Since we are adults we don't utilize things like kids clubs or character meet and greets, etc. We've decided we are finished paying for things we aren't using.
There's a big wide world of other cruise lines and new ships and we are moving on, after all, "Adventure is out there!"

We could do a 10 day glacier Bay cruise on NCL two weeks earlier for $1698.
You absolutely want to look into a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay National Park. The single biggest downside to a DCL cruise to Alaska (aside from the price) is the fact that Disney does not have permission to sail into Glacier Bay, and Princess, Holland and NCL do. All of the cruise lines will get you to the "usual suspects" of ports, like Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. So when comparing cruises, try to look for ones that add in Glacier Bay. It is the visual highlight of the cruise. Here is a sample of pictures:

9620382176_4af63402d2_z.jpg

balcony s.jpg

IMG_0988as.jpg

IMG_1037as.jpg

9627326284_d1ff9796a2_z.jpg

9627327692_705d6652f3_c.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, all the 7 day Pearl Alaska cruises go to Glacier Bay too, so that's another plus to the 7 day Pearl cruise over the Wonder, besides a much lower fare, and I forgot the free unlimited drink promotion on NCL too! Your photos are gorgeous, by the way! My father will be taking my sisters and I on the Pearl next week, can't wait!

This is terrible to have to admit, but there's a new tropical system forming off Africa, and part of me kind of wishes that it would roll up just in time to cancel my DCL cruise mid-September in some way that allowed me to get some of my money back via cruise insurance, and then I'd just re-book something on Celebrity. >.>

(Backstory is I booked this DCL cruise a long time ago now (Feb) when I hardly knew anything about cruising but knew a lot about the Disney park product. I don't have kids, and a lot more reading since then, plus a cruise on another line, has made me realize I would prefer a more sedate/adult and less crowded cruise.)

You absolutely want to look into a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay National Park. The single biggest downside to a DCL cruise to Alaska (aside from the price) is the fact that Disney does not have permission to sail into Glacier Bay, and Princess, Holland and NCL do. All of the cruise lines will get you to the "usual suspects" of ports, like Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. So when comparing cruises, try to look for ones that add in Glacier Bay. It is the visual highlight of the cruise. Here is a sample of pictures:

9620382176_4af63402d2_z.jpg

View attachment 120412

View attachment 120413

View attachment 120414

9627326284_d1ff9796a2_z.jpg

9627327692_705d6652f3_c.jpg
These pictures are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing! This gives me something definite to look at - I want to see this for sure :)

This is terrible to have to admit, but there's a new tropical system forming off Africa, and part of me kind of wishes that it would roll up just in time to cancel my DCL cruise mid-September in some way that allowed me to get some of my money back via cruise insurance, and then I'd just re-book something on Celebrity. >.>

(Backstory is I booked this DCL cruise a long time ago now (Feb) when I hardly knew anything about cruising but knew a lot about the Disney park product. I don't have kids, and a lot more reading since then, plus a cruise on another line, has made me realize I would prefer a more sedate/adult and less crowded cruise.)
Disney won't cancel. They don't want to refund us all. Now, they might bus us from Port Canaveral to another port but canceling won't happen.

The Dream will not be horrible. The time of year we are booked + the concierge level, it's not like children bouncing off the walls all around us. I swear. I've sailed September on the Dream 4 times. It's really not terrible. Not like the Magic on a kids sail free (NEVER again). Plus, you have the nice big balcony to escape to. Big room. And if you want all adult, fun company you're welcome to come kick around with me. You've got all the knowledge. You're going to be fine. And the food is not terrible either. Promise!

Based on your review of the Getaway, which I enjoyed immensely, thank you! (Going to get some of those Cuban pastries at Flamingo grill thanks to you!)
I have to agree that you'd probably enjoy a more laid back cruise line, but if you can't get out of your cruise, and if you are going on the Fantasy, a good place to enjoy some peace and quiet is the Meridian bar between Palo and Remys, there is indoor and outdoor seating. Next best is Cove Cafe, but it can get loud at times. Satellite Falls way up front on the top deck stays fairly peaceful too, as do the padded loungers on deck 4.

Love this - I'm already doing plenty of research for my upcoming cruise. I'd love to hear any methods that you find work so I can enjoy my mixed drink on my verandah :)
Do some reading on best use of the rum runners. Placement, things like that. The shampoo bottle trick works, too, you just have to think on that one. It's not likely you'll bring quite the quantity you would unrestricted but you could get enough to supplement yourself nicely. :)

Here's a photo of the Pearl coming out of Glacier Bay that I took from our ship while we were heading in:

9620371324_e0c307d8c6_c.jpg
Oh man I'm loving these photos! Thanks so much! I'm hoping for nice weather like you had, I know September can be iffy.

Based on your review of the Getaway, which I enjoyed immensely, thank you! (Going to get some of those Cuban pastries at Flamingo grill thanks to you!)
I have to agree that you'd probably enjoy a more laid back cruise line, but if you can't get out of your cruise, and if you are going on the Fantasy, a good place to enjoy some peace and quiet is the Meridian bar between Palo and Remys, there is indoor and outdoor seating. Next best is Cove Cafe, but it can get loud at times. Satellite Falls way up front on the top deck stays fairly peaceful too, as do the padded loungers on deck 4.
We're on the same sailing on the Dream next month. :)

@perditax
Meridian is very nice on the Dream and I love their martinis. No Satellite Falls yet, sadly. But the padded loungers on 4 are quite nice. Also, on deck 5 midship there's semi-quiet seating during the daytime, NOT pre-dinner times. You'll find some quiet respites!

Go up to the Outlook! That place is almost always empty. Great views!

Agree 1000%. We did Alaska on Carnival, and it was a fantastic cruise. The absolute highlight was the morning (several hours) in Glacier Bay. It was magnificent and really awesome. One of the few times those description words are truly appropriate. Glacier Bay is the reason to cruise Alaska, and as long as DCL doesn't include it I would look elsewhere, and save the DCL magic for other itineraries.

Enjoy your cruise, sweetpea! Keeping my fingers crossed for you the weather is good. The Dream is the one DCL ship I haven't been on, didn't realize it didn't have Satellite Falls.
Perditax, sorry if all our naysaying has you worried, you will enjoy the cruise I'm sure of it, the first time on any cruise line there is that wow factor, and the Disney ships are beautiful. And you can escape the crowds, I do it every cruise!
Just avoid any desserts that have a glossy gel look to them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter