• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Had a house fire last night!

That is so scary, glad y'all are okay.

A year or so ago, our over-the-stove microwave was making a weird smell and we figured it was just time for a new one. The new one we bought required that the cabinet above it be moved up about an inch. We also had to move the outlet up a little as well, and in doing that discovered that the electrical box behind the outlet had wiring that was melting -- that was the smell we were smelling! So, what happened to you could've easily been the same kind of situation for us if we hadn't noticed that smell. Makes you wonder about all the electrical outlets in your home...

My heart was pounding as I read your post. I am so happy you and your family are ok, but so sorry to hear about the damage.

A house fire is so terrifying. I wish you the best.

So glad you have somewhere comfortable to stay while y'all recover from the fire.

I'm sure it will be a tough time. Wishing you all the best.

First and foremost I am so glad everyone is safe. That is truly the only thing that really matters.

Second, remind yourself of that first thing when you are dealing with the insurance company and contractors during the remodel. Sometimes those two can be frustrating, but I sincerely hope they won't be seeing that you have already been through enough. (fwiw, my uncle had a house fire and his insurance company was absolutely fantastic ... I hope you will say the same.) Wishing you all the best. Hang in there!

I'm thankful you are safe. Sending best wishes for everything to go well during the repair/rebuild process!

Sorry to hear about this fire, Jason. As said by others, good to hear everyone is safe. Also that the insurance is quick and getting the ball rolling. Best wishes in the days ahead.

How old is your house. Asking because if you have an older home that was built before there was enforcement of inspecting wiring you might have problems in other areas. Before we moved into the house we own in 2009 we lived in a rental that the original house was built in the 1930s with additions added on in the 50s and 60s. I swear the wiring was installed by drunkin idiots. You had walls in different rooms not even touching (wall or room) that if you overloaded one of them neither of them would work. If I used a hand mixer on the same wall my microwave was on and had a tv and vcr plugged in (not even on) on the opposite side in the bedroom there was not a light in the bathroom that was on the wall opposite the perpendicular wall to the wall between the kitchen and bedroom because it would blow the entire system. (see why I say installed by drunk idiots). I would honestly say that it was a miracle that we never had a fire in that house-then again we didn't have that many electronics and most of them would be unplugged when we were not using them so I think that helped keep the system from being overloaded with the older wiring that we had.
I would encourage you to do a little research on when electrical wiring installation inspections were required in your area for residential purposes and if your home was built before then insist on having an inspection of the entire wiring system done to make sure that you don't have a potential of another problem occuring down the road.

I’m so sorry. So glad you are all safe, but I know it was just scary and awful. Best wishes with everything .

I am pleased you are all safe, and that the losses will be covered. My neighbor 3 doors down had a fully-engaged fire this past April that burned it down to a brick shell; they lost all of the contents of their home, but luckily as we have alley-entry garages, their cars were not damaged. The contractor has just finished restoring the exterior of the house; the new windows were delivered last week, and the neighbor tells me that they hope to be back in by Christmas. That one was electrical as well; it started in the basement where no one was at the time.

One thing I would recommend for kitchen safety: a fiberglass fire blanket. They are very good for kitchens because in the heat of the moment with a kitchen fire, it is easy to pour water on grease or on an electrical source that will cause it to spark rather than die. We keep ours hanging on an open-ended rod mounted on the wall next to the fridge; there is just enough room to hang it inconspicuously, and it's easy to grab from there. It probably would not have done much for a fire in a plug behind a microwave that was climbing a cabinet wall, but they are very effective for stovetop fires and don't cause a mess. (You can also use them as escape blankets to help you get out.) Buy the largest ones you can; the bigger it is, the easier it is to smother flames with it.

Our Brains don’t function normally in a crisis. But you got your daughter out and safe.

How old is your house.
Not even 20 years old yet. Can't remember off the top of my head but I believe it was late 2002, early 2003 when the first owner moved in. We bought it June 2010. Seeing that we live in a condo and I share a wall with someone (thankfully I am in a end unit so my kitchen doesn't share a wall), the association is going to have the builder come in and look at our wiring and others to see if something is wrong or if it was a freak accident.

Our Brains don’t function normally in a crisis. But you got your daughter out and safe.
Yes, my daughter is super upset about it. I have told her many times, it wasn't her fault and not to worry. She said last night, she could have gotten the fire extinguisher and put it out, but froze. We talked about how even I panicked because I didn't call her mother and didn't even think about her until she pulled up in the car. I just knew only the two of us were in the house and got us out. Tell you this much, I am putting fire extinguishers else where in the house once we get back in.

Wow, how scary. You got a lot of "home" repair to do but luckily nothing worse. :hug:

Not even 20 years old yet. Can't remember off the top of my head but I believe it was late 2002, early 2003 when the first owner moved in. We bought it June 2010. Seeing that we live in a condo and I share a wall with someone (thankfully I am in a end unit so my kitchen doesn't share a wall), the association is going to have the builder come in and look at our wiring and others to see if something is wrong or if it was a freak accident.

I am surprised that your association can have the building look at your wiring. I would think that it would need to be either a licensed electritian or the state inspector for your area.

I am surprised that your association can have the building look at your wiring. I would think that it would need to be either a licensed electritian or the state inspector for your area.
I think it will be a licensed electrician or someone from the state, probably a state inspector. The builder wants to know what happened seeing they are still building units and he is still using the same people that built my unit. I don't think he wants to be known as the builder with bad electrical.

So very glad you are all ok. I experienced a kitchen fire at 20 years young. I lost the sight in my right eye as a result of trying to fight it. You did the right thing, and like you and others have said things can be replaced. I just wanted to add the importance of teaching our children what to do.

One pp stated putting water on a cooking oil/electrical fire. DO NOT DO THAT! Do learn what to do, or visit your local fire department. Do carry insurance, and 'Stay Safe.'

Last edited:
What a frightening experience! Fires are such destructive and emotionally charged experiences that I'm sure you and your daughter will be processing the event for awhile. I'm glad your story had such a positive ending.

I am so glad you and you family are okay. It is amazing how fast a fire can spread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter