• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Guys help!! Shula's or California Grill??

amg35

DIS Veteran
We have our big splurge dinner as California Grill, but then I read Shula's menu and I like their appetizers better!
My boyfriend would like entrees at either restaurant....this is mostly because my boyfriend said he wants shrimp cocktail - the only thing he's requested, and it's hard to find on the menus!

Which restaurant do you guys prefer? Does Shula's have a bar to just get appetizers and drinks? If so, we could do dinner at California Grill and just apps/drinks at Shula's...

thanks in advance!

amg35 said:
We have our big splurge dinner as California Grill, but then I read Shula's menu and I like their appetizers better!
My boyfriend would like entrees at either restaurant....this is mostly because my boyfriend said he wants shrimp cocktail - the only thing he's requested, and it's hard to find on the menus!

Which restaurant do you guys prefer? Does Shula's have a bar to just get appetizers and drinks? If so, we could do dinner at California Grill and just apps/drinks at Shula's...

thanks in advance!

The shrimp cocktail at Shula's was underwhelming. 4 shrimp on a plate with some lemon and cocktail sauce. Not particularly large shrimp either. I would never order it again. I seem to recall getting a much better shrimp cocktail a few years ago at Narcoosees. But not sure if they still have one on the menu.

To be perfectly honest our entire meal at Shula's was pretty underwhelming. I've had many good meals at California Grill. They kind of made the menu a little too fancy for my tastes, but I would still go back there again over Shula's.

We prefer California Grill; atmosphere; windows; outdoor deck to view MK fireworks; fun place. We have dined at Shulas once; food was very good; atmosphere was very dark; no windows where we were; rather stuffy and very expensive. CA has a very nice bar area also.

For 2 adults Shulas is clearly the better restaurant.

CG is noisy and wide open--Shulas intimate and more of a romantic feel.

Plus much better food.

They do have a small bar/lounge--but be aware that when there are conventions at Swan/Dolphin, some companies will "rent" the entire bar and lounge area for an entire evening--this has happened to us 2x already.

Anyway for fireworks and noise--CG. For good food and a quite dinner--Shulas.

PS we've done both many times:)

I think you get more bang for your buck at Shula's. I had the shellfish trio and my boyfriend had the colossal shrimp cocktail as appetizers and they were outstanding. And of course our steaks were out of this world! I'd pick Shula's over California Grill.

Shula's is one of our favorites! We are dining at both this coming trip and looking forward to CG since we haven't been there since the refurb.

CG has been getting mediocre reviews since the refurb. I'd go with Shula's unless a view is a primary factor.

Never been to Shula's but we did CG in February and it was amazing. Best meal I've had in Disney hands down..we still talk about it :)

I have never been to CG, but we have been to Shula's and it was amazing!!!!
The steaks are awesome and the sides are very large and could be shared.

Completely different dining experiences -

IMO I think California Grill is incredibly romantic especially if you have a table overlooking the castle! It is fantastic... I honestly don't think you can get more romantic then sitting together watching fireworks enjoying some fantastic food! (Shula's on the other hand isn't romantic IMO... It's Very masculine, it has a football for a menu lol and big photos of the Miami Dolphins - not saying its a bad restaurant but that doesn't scream ROMANCE to me (also is a chain restaurant so for me that deters me from dining there while on vacation in WDW)

If you looking at just food then it depends what your looking for ---

California Grill has great sushi, love their duck appetizer and some other unique offerings

Shula's has a traditional steakhouse menu there steaks are good (not great)- however they have an excellent Chocolate Soufflé!

Overall it just depends what your looking for! Either way you can't make a bad choice!

Hope this helps :)

We prefer Shula's over Cali Grill. We enjoy both places, but for us & what our tastes are we prefer Shula's.

For me, these are two very different experiences. Shula's is a steakhouse, while California Grill is more of an upscale restaurant. Shula's has a dark, woody feel to it, while the California Grill is light and overlooks Magic Kingdom. Both are romantic in their own way. Shula's you typically get 2-3 servers while the Cali Grill you get the one. Shula's can be found outside of Orlando while Cali Grill is unique to WDW. More kids at Cali, more conventioners at Shula's.

For a romantic evening, unless I was really craving steak, I would probably go with Cali Grill with it winning based on atmosphere. For me, I can't compare the food because they aren't trying to do the same thing and I would never order at steak at Cali (nor would I order pork or fish at Shula's).

Just to add that the football stuff at Shulas is very understated--do NOT get the impression its like an ESPN bar!!

They often play romantic Sinatra music at dinner--compared to the screaming kids often found at CG:)

IF a view and fireworks mean more than a good meal--CG. Otherwise do Shulas.

Just a suggestion: Fulton's has shrimp cocktail in the bar/lounge. You could go there for lunch or on early side, CG later or another day.

Have you considered bluezoo? It has several shrimp starters and is more romantic than either CG or Shula's. CG used to be our favorite overall dining experience at WDW when both food and atmosphere were combined. But constant expansion has made it too big for the kitchen to keep up, IMO. Our most recent visit in February was decidedly average. We had terrific service and a windowside table in "position A". Couldn't have asked for better. Still, we left feeling a bit disappointed due to the food issues. Citrico's a few days later blew it away.

Hey guys, thanks for all suggestions!!

So he said we always go to steak houses here in Chicago, so he wants to keep California Grill - we got a reservation for 7:45 on a Monday - I love sushi and most fish dishes, he loves anything with meat and wants that duck appetizer. :rotfl: And I think the desserts look good and I want to try the Cucumber Fizz cocktail.

And it's just the two of us the whole trip, so we aren't worried about a romantic night, in fact I'm sure we'll be annoying each other by then. :upsidedow

Soooo, we are going to go someplace else, sit at the bar and get shrimp cocktail as an appetizer with cocktails one night.
BlueZoo looks good and we are staying in that area, thanks for the suggestion, will also check out Fulton's menu!

But we are definitely keeping Shula's in mind if we want to add another nice table service this trip or next time we come back.

I have no idea where this need for shrimp cocktail came from.....:laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter