Guidelines regarding commercial links

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too was new to the DIS boards and joined because of the digi-challenge thread since I was new to digi-scrapping and wanted to find more info about Disney-esque items. There is now no longer a reason for me to stay. I have my 2 favorite sites for planning and a community board that have always been very friendly and supportive. I'll be following many of you to the new place for inspiration to digi-scrap my Disney photos.

BTW- anyone know how to delete your profile? I no longer need it and would like to remove it. I saw someone posted this very question in the technical section on the 9th but there was no response unless they were possibly PM'd. I try to think the best of people and would hope that someone on the technical team responded to her.

This is ridiculous. While no one has mentioned her by name we are all well aware that Brittish Designs was banned for life. I'm sure there must have been others. When you make a rule change it is appropriate to allow people a period to adjust to the new rules. Not ban them for things they didn't even know they were violation of. I'm assuming that mods don't get paid and wonder at how they seem to have nothing better to do than to mess with the rules. I ADORED the Dis but now it is just a pain in the backside since you never know if some aspect of it you like is going to be changed willy nilly. You talk about the for profit line which makes no sense since this entire board is directly linked to the profit of a third party....Disney. I am a grown up and can decide for myself what to spend my money on..I don't need to be policed. No one is being taken advantage of. When I see a digital kit, whether it was posted by another member or the creator, I can decide for myself. I have never seen anyone on here OVERLY advertise anything which is the only time I can see your rules being helpful.
So knock it off... you're shooting yourself in the foot. You aren't going to have anyone to moderate if you keep it up. I would like to ask that you lift the ban on Brittish Designs and anyone else you kicked off without giving them time to adjust to the new rules. And apologize. The way this has been done was just silly. it would have been better to announce that on Oct. 1st these new rules will be implemented. No one likes a game where the rules are just changed as you go along. I would also like you to add a thread that is just for designers who are allowed to post their Disney related kits one time so that you will not rob the rest of us of a resource to find these items. If someone has a problem with with the for profit designers they simply don't visit that thread. Police that thread to your little hearts content.
I don't get the rule change as I cannot see how what we were doing here was hurting anyone.
Jodi

Thank you for posting a wonderful post. I completely agree.

This is ridiculous. While no one has mentioned her by name we are all well aware that Brittish Designs was banned for life. I'm sure there must have been others. When you make a rule change it is appropriate to allow people a period to adjust to the new rules. Not ban them for things they didn't even know they were violation of. I'm assuming that mods don't get paid and wonder at how they seem to have nothing better to do than to mess with the rules. I ADORED the Dis but now it is just a pain in the backside since you never know if some aspect of it you like is going to be changed willy nilly. You talk about the for profit line which makes no sense since this entire board is directly linked to the profit of a third party....Disney. I am a grown up and can decide for myself what to spend my money on..I don't need to be policed. No one is being taken advantage of. When I see a digital kit, whether it was posted by another member or the creator, I can decide for myself. I have never seen anyone on here OVERLY advertise anything which is the only time I can see your rules being helpful.
So knock it off... you're shooting yourself in the foot. You aren't going to have anyone to moderate if you keep it up. I would like to ask that you lift the ban on Brittish Designs and anyone else you kicked off without giving them time to adjust to the new rules. And apologize. The way this has been done was just silly. it would have been better to announce that on Oct. 1st these new rules will be implemented. No one likes a game where the rules are just changed as you go along. I would also like you to add a thread that is just for designers who are allowed to post their Disney related kits one time so that you will not rob the rest of us of a resource to find these items. If someone has a problem with with the for profit designers they simply don't visit that thread. Police that thread to your little hearts content.
I don't get the rule change as I cannot see how what we were doing here was hurting anyone.
Jodi

Jodi

I completely agree. I said the same thing regarding it being a choice to buy something. I like knowing what's available (free or for purchase) and am completely capable of making a decision to purchase something.
I agree that a thread of the "profitable resources" is a very good compromise. For those that are offended that someone with talent is making a small profit from selling something they worked hard to create, simply don't visit that thread.

BTW- anyone know how to delete your profile? I no longer need it and would like to remove it. I saw someone posted this very question in the technical section on the 9th but there was no response unless they were possibly PM'd. I try to think the best of people and would hope that someone on the technical team responded to her.

Once a profile is created and used for posting here, it cannot be deleted. You can edit any of your information in that profile (except for the username). To stop participating, you simply stop posting.

To clear up one other issue: We will not discuss or debate details of any posters' situation with other posters. But I will say that the only accounts terminated recently for users active on this forum have been terminated due to advertising/personal business promotion issues, and only after those posters had received multiple warnings about those issues.

From our guidelines:
if its determined that you are using the DIS to promote a commercial venture, you will lose your posting privileges.

That is the crux of the issue here.

The only problem is that you are not playing fair with the paper scrappers. You slammed all the digital scrappers in the face with NO warning. And you don't care what advertising that the paper scrappers do. This is discrimination, and if I cared more, I could probably file a lawsuit.

Most of the paper scrappers have always been uppity about digital.. so now, I hope you are all happy that most of us are gone for good.... do you sleep well at night?

Fran you've been around long enough to know the rules about posting for sale ads, show me where paper scrappers have posted these and I will be happy to deal with them.

It is not about paper vs digital, it's about DIS posters posting for sale ads to make a profit. Period.

This is discrimination, and if I cared more, I could probably file a lawsuit.

You are right. I was thinking the same thing. I have seen the Office of Civil Rights get involved for things that are a lot less discriminatory than this.

I am not speaking for Britt, but I have a feeling, after the way she was treated, she wouldn't come back to this board even IF the ban was lifted. She went OUT OF HER way to make sure she never used this board as a means for promoting her products. The people on this board love Disney. So does Britt. And she happens to make awesome Disneyesque digi products that are perfect for scrapping Disney LOs... there are actually not very many digi designers out there that make them. So, OBVIOUSLY, some of the layouts shared here contained her products. SO WHAT? It's like saying I am "advertising" for Levis just because I like to wear their jeans. Good grief.

We have moved on. Visit MouseScrappers.com.

Fran you've been around long enough to know the rules about posting for sale ads, show me where paper scrappers have posted these and I will be happy to deal with them.

It is not about paper vs digital, it's about DIS posters posting for sale ads to make a profit. Period.

Show us one that Britt made, she never posted about her own kits. Sometimes her creative team did but I wouldn't have thought that against the rules until it became so a couple of days ago. She did give freebies and prizes but again we didn't see that as advertising just generous.

If someone had taken the time to better understand the blogs and stores of the digital scrappers you'd realize that the rules are completely insane to try deal with. Almost every freebie is linked to a Designer who either has a store or is testing to see if people like their products. If we can't share this information then the site is useless to us.

I don't think it was necessarily malicious just definitely badly handled; I've also been around long enough to know that there is no compromise on this site even for bad decisions.

Doesn't really matter for me, I don't need this site. I am very thankfully that these rules weren't in place 2 yrs ago when I started digi scrapping and I'm sorry for the ones that come after who really won't know what they've lost.

oh good grief, REALLY??? Not sure when it became all about digi vs paper but this is insane. I seriously doubt she got banned because her kits were mentioned, it was more likely the over promotion by her pals... "oh she has a great new kit" and then a link to it. And let's be honest here, the digi challenges were NOT fun unless you had disney pictures. People who wanted to play but didn't have disney pictures were not welcome at all. (and yes I know this is the disboard but it doesn't always have to be disney all the time) everyone needs to get a grip. if you aren't happy about whatever then please go play elsewhere and give the mods a break. (and everyone else for that matter)

I agree it's not about digi vs paper, challenges or even one designer; however the new rules are very slanted towards digi scrappers and what / how we post. I'm not a designer and not a part of any creative team but I want to be able to post my pages and see other peoples. I want to share and have other people share links to great kits and freebies.

The rules won't allow that, don't worry this will die down in a few days and most of the digi scrappers won't be back. It really isn't our loss; this site won't have many digi scrappers and people will just have to go elsewhere for the information unless the moderators decide they might want to do research before coming in with a iron fist and find rules that are reasonable for digi scrapbooking. Maybe eventually the digi scrap group here will grow again with new people.

Show us one that Britt made, she never posted about her own kits. Sometimes her creative team did but I wouldn't have thought that against the rules until it became so a couple of days ago. She did give freebies and prizes but again we didn't see that as advertising just generous.

just going through the challenges out of the first 34, 21 are directly related to Britt, either GC to her store (promotional because kits are more then $5 so money is exchanged for goods, some are freebies which then leads to purchases, again promotional). Someone told me there is a huge amount of digital info out there then why are the scales tipped in Britts favor?

Now, it's lunch time here. I'm going to go feed my kid and husband.

just going through the challenges out of the first 34, 21 are directly related to Britt, either GC to her store (promotional because kits are more then $5 so money is exchanged for goods, some are freebies which then leads to purchases, again promotional). Someone told me there is a huge amount of digital info out there then why are the scales tipped in Britts favor?

The challenges have been around for more than a year with the prizes & freebies; only in the past week did this become against the rules. The lack of a designer being to provide prizes and freebies for challenges isn't even an issue; some challenges didn't even have have a prize and that is fine they are fun and a great motivator without one.

Britt just happens to love Disney and makes some of the best Disney-ish kits even if she never posted here I'd have been able to find her store. Actually I found her store through the FAQ but it wasn't listed at that time in the first section so my initial Digi scrapping purchases were not her products. The challenges weren't a motivator at all I was afraid of those for a long time. :scared1:

I do have an issue that prevents me from linking Britt's store or any other digital store that has freebies because they also have items for sale. I get no benefit. Making a digital scrapbook store restricted from links tips the scale in favor of designers that sale at other sites. Are we going to start restricted other stores?

The Digital Gallery thread has lost several pictures; only one gallery attached to a store has been lost. Not all. I want to be able to share work from any gallery I post in; having to load pictures again in different galleries just to post them on this site is too much trouble. And we still have the issue of not being able to even give credits; I really liked having the credits right there on everyones pages so if I needed something they had I could find it; most credits are just designer names you have to go search to find their store as they aren't always in the store that sponsers the gallery.

either GC to her store (promotional because kits are more then $5 so money is exchanged for goods, some are freebies which then leads to purchases, again promotional).

Not necessary. I looked at her store and she has 177 --yes, ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY SEVEN items that are available that are UNDER $5. There does NOT have to be any exchange of money. Again, no one forcing you to spend more. You have 177 different items you can use your GC on, many options available too--getting 2 or 3 things with a $5 GC.

And how does a freebie lead to a purchase???? :confused3 Help me understand that. The freebies that were available was NO strings attached. Free. That's it. Free. Period. Free. Free=able to do something without will;provided without a charge.

Someone told me there is a huge amount of digital info out there then why are the scales tipped in Britts favor?

Becaue she is the BEST!!! She provides tons of freebies (see above for definition) She does things the right way and NEVER puts anything in her store for sale that is Disney related.
Look at all the other links that charge for their kits and they are Disney related. Britt has always done things by the book. She is generous. She is helpful. She is kind with her words--always giving praise to us digital scrappers no matter what kit you have used. And she did not deserve to be treated like she did.

What does this have to do with this topic?:confused3

I'm sorry for the ones that come after who really won't know what they've lost.

I wouldn't worry, there are plenty of talented digi scrappers still here and plenty of people who are perfectly capable of answering questions.

I wasn't going to comment at all, just be on way but I can't let a couple of things go.

As one of "Britt's Pals" I have never directly linked one of Britt's kits. I have linked my LO to the gallery for credits simply because I was too lazy to type them all out. That's it, no ulterior motive. I had her blinkie in my sig, no link per the rules because I'm a fan. People want to know where I got that cool kit of course I'm going to point them to Britt same as a paper scrapper would point someone to Micheal's.:confused3

No one had a problem with this for 15months and suddenly they do. Why couldn't we have gotten a heads up rather the rug ripped out from under us. I think that's why most people are upset.

But the main reason I decided to post is I can't stand by and watch Britt be portrayed as some kind of deceitful, gold digging, sneak. She is one of the kindest, most generous, HONEST people you will ever meet. Her motivations were and always have been pure: She loves Disney and she loves scrapping and she came to the DIS to share. You have a problem with her "pals" you should have punished us not her.

I wouldn't worry, there are plenty of talented digi scrappers still here and plenty of people who are perfectly capable of answering questions.
I wouldn't be too sure as they're no longer allowed to share their resources or give credit. That's not really going to be helpful.

And let's be honest here, the digi challenges were NOT fun unless you had disney pictures. People who wanted to play but didn't have disney pictures were not welcome at all.

Actually, there was a compromise: here is the link to the 1st non-Disney digi challenge http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1950841 This was hosted by Christy. Interestingly, no one else volunteered to host another of these challenges.

Now on to the topic of this thread. I have a question. Please look at post #3 on this thread http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2286389
Post#3 (written by a moderator) has a link to another person's blog, where items are SOLD. I would appreciate an explanation as to how this is allowed. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter