• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Guardians of the (Epcot) Galaxy

Per rumors summary:
  • Energy is getting a GotG overhaul, green lit.
  • Wonders might get a GotG phase 2, not yet green lit..
  • Communicore (outside of mouse gear and starbucks, possibly club cool) will be updated/overhauled, green lit.
  • Mission Space will get a refurb/update, green lit.
  • There are plans for Imagination, but not green lit.
  • Land will remain as is
  • Seas will remain as is
  • Test Track will remain as is
  • Space Ship Earth will remain as is
  • removal of cemitary pylons at entrance
I sure will not be sad to see those tombstones go! What an eyesore.

Some threads say Mission Space will be converted to GotG and some are saying Energy will receive the conversion. Which is the latest rumor or are both getting the treatent?

I like this here more than Tower of Terror. Seems really blue sky if we can't pinpoint where yet. Glad Spaceship Earth is staying as is though that is one of my absolute favorites

I like this here more than Tower of Terror. Seems really blue sky if we can't pinpoint where yet. Glad Spaceship Earth is staying as is though that is one of my absolute favorites
Space Ship Earth IS Epcot. If they changed it, they might as well rename the park. When the park opened, all the news centered around Space Ship Earth; it was talked about like the sun is to the solar system.

I sure will not be sad to see those tombstones go! What an eyesore.

Some threads say Mission Space will be converted to GotG and some are saying Energy will receive the conversion. Which is the latest rumor or are both getting the treatent?
Missin space is from WDWNT which by all accounts I've seen has old or false info. Energy is where it's supposed to go.

Energy is the pinpoint. We are past blue sky and it's looking to be approved. Some things have already been approved for Epcot.

Like what things have been approved?
From what I've heard phase one of guardians has for Epcot but there is a phase 2 possible. Also a wonders of life redo that's not approved. The leave a legacy stones are approved to leave too.

I agree. Although I really liked the original better (starting with the turning triangles in the preshow) and miss all of the music, the ride should be updated with a new film and perhaps replacing Ellen with something else. There have been so many new advances in energy and it would be a shame to can the ride rather than update it.

I agree they need to update it, but why not update it with the current technologies available, and bring back Ellen and Bill Nye and do something different? It's not like they are old and decrepit.

So we might get a SciFi theme or a futuristic theme of some sort? I bet that Epcot will simply be a hodge podge of whatever with World Showcase turning into MK Lite.

I'm not surprised by this because if any park has been treated as an afterthought it has been Epcot. I will always cherish the memories of what once was a wonderful and unique themepark though. I doubt that we'll bother with the park again unless they really do something interesting. More time for MK!

I agree they need to update it, but why not update it with the current technologies available, and bring back Ellen and Bill Nye and do something different? It's not like they are old and decrepit.
That would require creativity and innovation plus they wouldn't sell as much merchandise.

Inside Out really seems like it would be a natural fit to redo Wonders of Life.

I'd be extremely disappointed if UoE turned into GotG. It doesn't fit Future World at all. (And aren't the Worlds Fair dinos a part of history? Hopefully they would at least use them elsewhere) Even if they are going for more of a sci-fi theme, GotG isn't even semi-realistic sci-fi - it's a superhero comic.

I was disappointed enough about them turning Norway into Froway (would have been happy with it if they used the Frozen characters in a ride that taught about the REAL Norway).

(PS: Yay, first post)

One of the problems with Epcot, I always thought, was the name. While it started as Walt's Epcot what was built was closer to a version of the World's Fair. I have long wished that they would changed the name of Future World to Progress City or Progress Showcase. If you consider the attractions they were more about the progress of technology and understanding in human history with some looking forward to the horizons that such progress could bring. I really wished before they go for the safer route of inserting IPs that they look at what they want the parks to mean. Maybe I should dig up my unfinished article on the Vision of the Parks, since I felt like I wrote a longer version of this there.

Plus there's been that long time developed ride Jerry Rees has been rumored to be working on as well. It's not mentioned on his site anymore though

And now reading through this I can't tell if I'm going to miss universe of energy or not if that is what guardians is going to be. And I'm hoping for inside out! Maybe if animal kingdom was still hoping for something new outside of avatar they should do something zootoopia related but that's just me

Much like Mission: Space bears no resemblance to Horizons, everyone needs to abandon the idea that anything that might go in the space between UoE and M:S will bear any resemblance to Wonders of Life. Most of that pavilion has been literally thrown out long ago. And what little is still there is in disrepair beyond fixing. Except what can be used for the festivals.

That land will either remain festival space or be completely bulldozed.

I agree that Epcot needs some updating, but DD7 is going to be devastated if UoE closes. It is her favorite attraction. I'm really afraid there will be tears. If it really might close in Sept, I guess that I will have to ride it with her multiple times on our Aug trip. She is still sad that the house in Innoventions closed, as she loved that, too. And someone mentioned that Club Cool might close? That's another family favorite. Now if something happens to CoP at MK, I may not be able to get DD to go back to WDW.

Personally, I have no interest in GotG, so I'm not at all interested in this attraction. But I'm also not interested in Star Wars or Avatar, so I'm not so sure I'm still in WDW's target demographic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter