• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grocery Questions

pangyal

#TeamSven
I've searched the forums faithfully, but am still a bit stuck on the grocery aspect of our upcoming trip (19 days!!!).

We will not have a car, and will definitely not be able to rent a car for various reasons. Most of the information I'm hoping for is:

1.) If we were to just do our groceries at the ABC store across the street, how viable is that? As in, would we be able to buy things like almond milk, beer and wine, frozen pizza and chicken nuggets for the kiddo, bread, cheese, fresh fruit, and fresh or frozen meat for grilling?

2.) Does anyone have any experience with taking a cab to Safeway to get groceries, and if so, how was your experience?

Thanks in advance! I've been trying to search Google Images for pictures of what is carried at the store across the street, but it's not working ;).

We've bought groceries at the ABC store several times. They have a surprisingly large selection. Of the things the OP mentioned, the only one I can't recall is Almond Milk. Not saying they don't have it, we just didn't look. All the other things are definitely there.

Yes, we looked into it closely and there are zero grocery delivery options to Aulani (well, there is one, but they have a tiny selection and charge an extra $75 to deliver to Aulani).

We can bring shelf stable almond milk. I am excited to hear that the selection is better than we thought it would be at ABC- my impression was that it was a very small store with a deli counter, but maybe I was mistaken!

There is a great selection at Island Country Markets/ABC but it is costly. I would bring the shelf stable almond milk for sure. There is a pretty nice selection of fruits and veggies, the deli counter does lots of hot and cold selections too.
upload_2017-1-16_7-39-48.png

The Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club, which is down the ocean sidewalk about 5-7 mins, has a very small famers market on Tuesday mornings with fresh excellent fruits and veggies too, cash only.

The Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club, which is down the ocean sidewalk about 5-7 mins, has a very small famers market on Tuesday mornings with fresh excellent fruits and veggies too, cash only.
Thanks for mentioning this. Filing it away for our next trip!

Thanks for mentioning this. Filing it away for our next trip!

There were some great really amazing quality veggies like island grown corn, beans, super sweet onions. the type of mangos we bought were in the height of their season and were probably the best I have ever eaten, almost like a candy. Another thing they sell is fresh cut green papaya salad complete with a spicy dressing so all you have to do is mix it up and serve it along side of something grilled. It was so crunchy and good. They only set up about 4 or 5 tables and on one side they sell home made baked goods including malasadas.

I just went back to my notes and I see it is actually on Mondays, NOT Tuesdays and it is on the lower level under the spiral staircase.

This post from TripAdvisor gives you an idea
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Locatio..._Ko_Olina_Beach_Club-Kapolei_Oahu_Hawaii.html

Appreciate the correction and the link. malasadas are great with morning coffee!

I could be mistaken but I am pretty sure I read there are some taxi services that will allow one stop along the way to aulani to get groceries. That was my plan for our upcoming June trip. I know there is a target and costco on the way there and have read prices are more affordable.

The only concern with Uber is that sometimes, availability is few and far between at Aulani. You could certainly check it first and if the wait is long or none are available, just order a taxi.

Personally, I'd try to make do with the ABC Store across the street. Might be slightly higher priced than a traditional grocery store and with fewer options, but I think most anyone could make do there especially considering the convenience factor. We were impressed with the options. Also recommend bringing some reusable bags or something to carry everything back that's sturdier than the plastic bags. Its not a long walk but carrying a case of water or beer - it would be! Also uphill going up the Aulani driveway.

We had a car and shopped at Target in Kapolei. I would try to Uber there. Prices were very close to prices from home. We supplemented with the ABC store when we ran out of stuff ( or wanted more, we were trying to not over buy) & were very impressed with selection

Safeway just started delivery service here. Not sure if they deliver to that part of the island, but it's worth a look into

I've searched the forums faithfully, but am still a bit stuck on the grocery aspect of our upcoming trip (19 days!!!).

We will not have a car, and will definitely not be able to rent a car for various reasons. Most of the information I'm hoping for is:

1.) If we were to just do our groceries at the ABC store across the street, how viable is that? As in, would we be able to buy things like almond milk, beer and wine, frozen pizza and chicken nuggets for the kiddo, bread, cheese, fresh fruit, and fresh or frozen meat for grilling?

2.) Does anyone have any experience with taking a cab to Safeway to get groceries, and if so, how was your experience?

Thanks in advance! I've been trying to search Google Images for pictures of what is carried at the store across the street, but it's not working ;).
ALOHA, You might want to Check out "THEBUS" this is the local bus service and it is excellent. http://www.thebus.org/
If you take it to Barbers point 2.5 miles down the road they have a Target, Walmart, Kmart etc available. Just remember you will either have to buy bags at so=tore or bring your own since the island has outlawed plastic bags. I know almond milk is available at these stores sine my grandchild has a milk allergy. If it is for milk allergy tray the Dole whip at the beach shack since it is milk free. I hope you have a great and enjoyable trip.

I know that a lot of people mail food to their resort in Disney world right before they go. Would this work here?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter