Grilling for mother's day...any good ideas?

cjnix29

DIS Veteran
Having my family over, and DH wants to grill. BUt I am tired of burgers, etc. Anyone have any good recipes, ideas that won't be super expensive? We have 9.

How about grilling a pork loin that 's been marinated in costco's chipotle/raspberry marinade? Quick and easy!

In high school, a friend's mom used to make chicken on the grill -- marinated in Italian dressing. It's pretty simple but it was SO good. Some people put it on buns, some ate it with potato/macaroni salad, etc. :goodvibes

She also did peaches on the grill with honey served over ice cream for dessert.

My mom is a fan of gourmet burgers stuffed with different kinds of cheese, which might be a different twist on burgers. She also grills fish by wrapping it in corn husks -- not sure it's the right season for that though.

Kielbasa is very good on the grill. fish, I know can be expensive, but good with a mango,pineapple salsa. HOw about chicken kabobs if you don't want just plain chicken, and throw some corn on the cob on the grill. I love anything that has been done on the grill.

Kabobs...marniated chicken, mushrooms, peppers, squash, tomatoes and whatever else you want.

Here is what we are having:

Orange Barbecue Chicken, Pineapple, and Vegetable Kabobs

Ingredients:
-2 lbs chicken breasts, chopped into 1-inch pieces
-1 pineapple, diced into 1-inch pieces
-2 bell peppers, any color, chopped into large chunks
-1/2 red onion, chopped into 1-inch pieces
-1 cup barbecue sauce
-1 cup orange juice concentrate

Directions:
1. Mix barbecue sauce with orange juice concentrate. Toss half of the marinade with the chicken in a large bowl. Cover and allow to marinate for at least one hour.
2. Thread pineapple and vegetables on kebab skewers, alternating pieces as desired. After chicken has marinated, thread chicken on separate kebab skewers.
3. Brush kebabs with marinade. Grill for 10-20 minutes, turning occasionally and brushing with additional marinade until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are lightly grilled. (vegetables may finish first)

Ingredients:
-1 cup barbecue sauce

Directions:
1. Mix barbecue sauce with orange juice concentrate. Toss half of the marinade with the chicken in a large bowl. Cover and allow to marinate for at least one hour.
2. Thread pineapple and vegetables on kebab skewers, alternating pieces as desired. After chicken has marinated, thread chicken on separate kebab skewers.
3. Brush kebabs with marinade. Grill for 10-20 minutes, turning occasionally and brushing with additional marinade until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are lightly grilled. (vegetables may finish first)

YUM!!! That sounds like a plan!

Here's a pic on her blog if you like to see what something new looks like before cooking it!

http://www.thesweetslife.com/

I was actually looking for great grilling recipes this morning when I found this and added the ingredients to my list to pick up tomorrow night.

I can say, I've made several of her recipes and have yet to find one I did not like--they are so good!!

Ingredients:
-1 cup barbecue sauce

Directions:

I was going to suggest chicken kabobs (as long as that doesn't mean YOU have to do all the prep work :rotfl:). But this sounds way better than my usual kabobs! I think we'll have this for dinner tonight! :thumbsup2

I do a lot of chicken marinated in Greek spices, olive oil and lemon juice. So delish!

I was going to suggest chicken kabobs (as long as that doesn't mean YOU have to do all the prep work :rotfl:). But this sounds way better than my usual kabobs! I think we'll have this for dinner tonight! :thumbsup2

If you do, let us know how it turns out! I'm going to put the grape tomatos on ours as well!

All those kabobs sound good.

Don't forget like I usually do, if you are using wooden skewers soak them in water first so they don't burn.

My dad always grills boneless pork chops marinated in Teriyaki sauce and then grills pineapple to top the chops and a maraschino cherry in the middle of the pineapple! REALLY good with grilled red potatoes with onion and rosemary!!

I hate putting everything on kabobs. I'm too lazy.:rolleyes1

I just cook all the ingredients separately.

Chicken breasts. I cut into strips so that it covers more of the surface area with marinade and cooks faster. My go to recipe is half Italian dressing and half A-1 chicago marinade. Gives it a little more kick than plain Italian dressing. We also end up eating less than when we each get a full breast.

I slice my zucchini length wise or on a diagonal and either coat with Italian or olive oil (my preference) and a little salt and pepper. Put shredded parmesean on when they come off the grill.

Peel onion, cut off both ends. Scoop out part of one end. Stick a beef bouillion cube and a chunk of butter on the top. Wrap in foil, butter side up. These take a while so get them on first, but when done are cooked onions, salty, buttery, yummy.

Mushrooms I marinate in a-1 chicago.

You can grill corn on the cob. Also yummy.

Can also hunk veggies up and put with seasoning and butter in a foil packet.

Now I want to grill.:thumbsup2

I very seldom grill burgers. Mostly we grill pork "fingers" which is just the butt roast cut into strips. Add to that sausage, my favorite is the chicken with spinach sausage from walmart. An of course no BBBQ is complete with out hotdogs. If I have room on the grill, I will add mushrooms, squash, eggplant or other veggies.

I was going to suggest chicken kabobs too. We are making some tonight as a matter of fact!:)

Marinate chicken chunks in: terryaki sauce, soy sauce and a little bit of sesame oil
Layer with: sweet onion, green and red bell peppers and fresh pineapple.

Serve with sweet and sour sauce for dipping and Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice. Throw in some grilled corn on the cob or veggies cooked in foil packet on the grill. YUMMMM!

This will require some time because you want to do it over a low temp/smoke it. A brisquet is usually very yummy. You can also do a pizza.

I love Korean BBQ (Bulgogi)

You can use some seriously cheap meat, and comes out amazing. The following is for 1 pound of meat. I have gotten to the point where I eyeball it most of the time, and sometimes prefer it sweeter, sometimes more garlic etc...you decide how you like it.

3 Tbsp chopped garlic (about 2 cloves)
3 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp honey
1 Kiwi fruit - cut it up, and squeeze it into the mix so the juice comes out, and some chunks are left
1.5 Tbsp sesame oil
3 green onions, finely chopped (including white part)
1 tsp pepper
1 onion (I use vidalia because they are sweet, but you use whatever you like)

OK, so you mix all this stuff up in a bowl. Then you can can use whatever meat you want, but what I have found outstanding is the thin sliced steak sandwich pieces some stores sell. THey are usually round shaped, and pretty thin. I have also used sirloin tip meat that hasn't been cut yet, and cut it myself. For thinness think teriyaki, and that is about as thick as you want.

Marinate it for about an hour tops. If it is an especially tough meat then let it soak a bit longer. The kiwi breaks down the meat pretty rapidly, so you don't want it falling apart on you when grilling.

Go heat the grill on the highest setting. Toss it on, and leave it for a minute or two on each side. That is usually enough to cook it through but not dry it all out for meat that thin. It depends on the grill temp too though, so keep an eye on it.

I eat mine with white rice, and will wrap it in romaine pieces. I like to add some Korean hot sauce to a piece here and there, but the flavor is so good I don't like to ruin it.

You can use super cheap meat, and have a real nice tasting treat which costs you a fortune to get it at a Korean restaurant. Enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter