Grieving Canceled Trips

I recall your son being ill, and I’m so sorry he still is. I wish your son nothing but the best, and a lot of love and strength for your entire family, You are right, nothing else matters, 🌈
Thank you so much for your kind thoughts.

On the first page of this thread I talked about big and small losses. No one here has said their vacation compared to the big losses some people are experiencing. I, for one, appreciated this thread for a moment to allow myself to feel the small loss of my vacation. That in no way diminishes the huge losses some are experiencing.
As this was the intent of the thread when I created it - a place for people to express sadness about a cancelled vacation without people making them feel bad about it.

And I thank you for starting it. For each of us it's only a small part of the grief we are carrying right now. It certainly is small potatoes for me to miss my carefree caregiving respite vs. now not being able to see my parents at all for weeks already and for who knows how long to come. I feel bad that some people don't understand how many layers of grief there are and how important it is to be able to grieve each layer. Each layer counts and feelings are valid. Although there are many outcomes that are way worse than losing a vacation, It's not a contest to see whose grief is more valid.

I feel the same. Before the pandemic and before my son got sick last December, I was planning a 50th birthday trip also. Now it seems so unimportant. Not to put anyone's feeling down. It's just all I want is my family to be whole and healthy again. Nothing else matters.
:hug:

My wife and I had a conversation last night, realizing that it would have been the last night before disembarking from our planned cruise. We focused on how melancholy that last night at the end of a great trip is, and took an attitude of "At least we aren't experiencing the last night sadness right now!" :)

When I booked April 19-25, i remembered thinking it would be one week after Easter (Intentionally planned because I have a Gold AP with blackout that ends April 18). Tomorrow I would have been serving Easter dinner for my brothers and their families and afterwards getting my luggage out to start packing . Neither is happening tomorrow.

Happy Easter to those who celebrate today 💕

Today I would have been eating breakfast at Topolino Terrace & then spending the night at AK riding FOP, Everest & Dinosaur. Dinner at Flame Tree BBQ. Seeing Rivers of Light for the first time.

Instead i’ll be making lasagna for me and my fiancé. Maybe i’ll even put jeans and makeup on for the first time in 4 weeks 🤣

We were supposed to go on a 7 day med cruise in June out of Rome that I am disappointed to be missing. They do not have the same one offered the dates we would need to travel in 2021 but we found a 12 day which leaves out of Barcelona that goes to some of the same ports and others we had always wanted to visit so plan to switch using our FCC from Royal. I would be traveling with my DM and DH. She is in her 70s with some health issues and he also has some health issues so hopefully everything will be fine with them next year and we have a good trip then. Every time I get down about not being able to go to hardly anywhere right now and missing the trip I try to think positive that luckily I do not know anyone at the moment who has it and things will get better soon. Happy Easter or Passover!

Last edited:
If this hadn’t happened right now I would be in Tampa Bay with my best friend getting ready to board our cruise tomorrow. We were sailing with Royal Caribbean the first cruise for both of us and it was going to be an epic girls trip. Who knew when we planned this in June that this would be what would happen.While I understand that this is the best thing for right now still makes me incredibly sad. I was looking forward to a week visiting different tropical paradise is in the Bahamas with my best friend to celebrate our birthdays for the year. I know once this all passes we will still plan on epic trip but it’s not the same you know

I just saw our airline removed the change fee through September, so we decided to cancel our July trip to the Seattle area. I'd hate to go and have many of the things we want to do still restricted or closed.

We arrived on March 11 after driving down from NC. That night the schools started closing down and my daughter's college closed (had to go immediately back to get meds before the dorms closed) . We had to turn around and drive back the next day- one night at Disney. 1200 miles driven in 2 days, at Disney about 12 hours- just enough magic to be totally devastated to have to leave.

Was supposed to go to LA to see DD in her Broadway national tour show, as well as visit DL and had tickets for the Ellen show.
Show got cancelled, DL closed and Ellen is no longer taping with an audience so we cancelled our trip.

And to top it all off, I get to care for COVID patients so I really needed a vacation 😢

Was supposed to go to LA to see DD in her Broadway national tour show, as well as visit DL and had tickets for the Ellen show.
Show got cancelled, DL closed and Ellen is no longer taping with an audience so we cancelled our trip.

And to top it all off, I get to care for COVID patients so I really needed a vacation 😢
Imagine how good a vacation will feel after all of this is done?! Thank you for all your hard work through this 💕

Our cruise with lots of friends we haven’t seen in ages. Supposed to leave 5/1.
Like OP said first world problem but we have 2 years fixing house, getting ready to retire this was our big hurrah- we’ll deal but darn!!!!

Our trip to WDW was scheduled for the first week of the closure in March last year. I actually had all our things packed the day they announced the closure. I am just now trying to reschedule it because every time I’d think about it it would bring up all the feelings from when lockdown started. I don’t even want to go anymore but I also can’t fathom losing all the money we have tied up in it. And also for my kids who were 4 and 8 when we were scheduled to go and will be 6 and 10 by the time we do get to go. They were so excited about the trip and now are convinced it will never happen. The whole thing just makes me so so sad. It’s just a trip, and yet the emotions are tied to everything we went through last year. I hope that by the time we go the park is mostly back to normal and it can be a real celebration.

Our cruise with lots of friends we haven’t seen in ages. Supposed to leave 5/1.
Like OP said first world problem but we have 2 years fixing house, getting ready to retire this was our big hurrah- we’ll deal but darn!!!!
Kinda sorta started looking into booking a cruise. I'm hopeful they will resume in the near future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter