• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Great times, Random Thoughts!

dadofnicholas

Mouseketeer
Can't believe tomorrow is our last full day - we head back home on Saturday. It's been warm (for us) but the afternoon breaks back at PP are nice. My 7 yo son loving this 6th visit to Disneyland. My 2yo daughter loving her first visit - the first couple of "dark" rides were a bit uncomfortable (no crying) for her but after that, no problems. My 70 yo parents are having a blast - although they are fit and active for their age, still proud that they are hitting most rides. Just Tower of Terror and California Screamin' on the no list :)

Random thoughts?

1. As much as my almost 40-inch (mature) 2-year-old could reach 40 inches with her runners, I believe rules are in place for a reason. But to each his/her own.

2. Still a pet peeve - I don't mind when people in line have one or two family members join them in a middle of a line but when it's a big group, tsk tsk. I saw around 5 family members (with blue "Best Day Ever" t-shirts) join a few others, bumping a couple of families to the next Casey train. Not cool to let other families wait. Yes, it's great to go as a family but you can wait and let the other families go in front of you. We saw kind families wait for their family members, letting other families ahead of them in other rides. Thumbs up to them! In the past, when we've been separated, we would just meet up at the end. But I do love turning these "unkind" "impolite" "inconsiderate" moments and turning them into lessons when my son asks me why adults budge :) And you wonder why certain kids budge in line at school :) Yes, it's a pet peeve :) But after a minute, out of mind and so worth seeing the smile on my daughter's face.

3. Matterhorn felt a lot better this time around. Rode it twice so far.
4. Still really dislike California Screamin' but will do it for my son. Once per trip :)
5. Ice cream tastes so good in this warm weather :)
6. Choy's chinese food delivery is great.
7. Just love Paradise Pier but miss the slide (being refurbished).
8. Need to hit Pirates now that it's open again - more for kids and parents.
9. Rider switch is awesome!
10. It's not as busy as last year (around the same time). Not sure why. Not complaining.

I'm so glad you've had a great time! We arrive for our first DLR visit in 10 days so I love reading about those who are there now.

Can I ask what your dislike of California Screamin' is based on? I'm getting iffy on coasters as I get older so I'm cautious. The take-off is enough to put me in the 'probably not' range but I'm curious what your opinion is based on.

Did they give you any indication of how long the PPH slide will be down? We are staying there too and the kids were looking forward to it. I understand that guests are being allowed to use the DLH pool so we're good with that but closer would be better!

Oh, and totally with you on the big-groups-joining-lines thing. I can tolerate a parent rejoining with a child but not a huge group. And I too use those instances as teaching moments. It might be a pet peeve, but you are not alone in having that one!

Enjoy your last day tomorrow! Make a ton of memories for the trip home!

Line cutters are my biggest gripe as well. Some people just don't understand the most simple paradigms.
Sounds like your having a great time though and I hope your last day is a blast.

California screaming is definetly a step up in coaster comfort levels for some people, but my advice is give it a try once. it took me 2 full trips to muster up the courage to try it and now I really like it. It is a "Thrilling" ride but it is very smooth.

The take-off is enough to put me in the 'probably not' range

That was me the when i was mustering the courage to ride it the 1st time. I remember sweating bullets while wiating in line, and then during the take -off wait wondering how a previously sane man (well somewhat sane :)) would ever be this stupid.

For CapnJacksGirl: I actually just rode California Screamin' for the first time yesterday, and was pretty shocked given its reputation -- I thought it was a way easier, lighter ride than either Big Thunder Mountain or the Matterhorn. Even though it has the loop, speed, and height, it is a very smooth ride. (It is themed to look like a rattling wooden coaster but it is on a steel track and definitely doesn't feel like one.) Even the dips barely caused any stomach flutters for me. (Definitely nothing at all like a Six Flags thrill coaster or the old coasters at a place like Coney Island.) By contrast, I found the Matterhorn to be jerky, jarring, and dizzying. So I guess it depends on what freaks you out! I'd much rather go fast and high than be low and banged around any day!

For CapnJacksGirl: I actually just rode California Screamin' for the first time yesterday, and was pretty shocked given its reputation -- I thought it was a way easier, lighter ride than either Big Thunder Mountain or the Matterhorn. Even though it has the loop, speed, and height, it is a very smooth ride. (It is themed to look like a rattling wooden coaster but it is on a steel track and definitely doesn't feel like one.) Even the dips barely caused any stomach flutters for me. (Definitely nothing at all like a Six Flags thrill coaster or the old coasters at a place like Coney Island.) By contrast, I found the Matterhorn to be jerky, jarring, and dizzying. So I guess it depends on what freaks you out! I'd much rather go fast and high than be low and banged around any day!

Thanks for your perspective! One of us will have to wait with my nephew while the others ride so I think I may let everyone else go first. My DH is pretty good at estimating whether I can take a ride or not. I'd like to give it a try. Looks like a lot of fun!

It's usually the jerking that gets me....old neck likes producing migraines if it's jerked around too much. I can do Big Thunder Mountain without any trouble but I'm a one-Space-Mountain-ride per trip girl. I'm really struggling with Matterhorn. I want to ride it because it's iconic but I don't want to ruin my trip over it. We'll see. It's too bad my body doesn't feel as young as my mind and heart do when I'm at Disney!!

CapnJacksGirl, if you are used to the SM at WDW, The one at DL is a million times better! Actually, if I had to compare, I would say SM at WDW and the Matterhorn at DL are comparable, only the Matterhorn is even worse! It is very jerky, bumpy, jarring, and hurts. SM at Disneyland is very smooth.

wont do upside down rides cant just cant, and with the way I get sometimes I still haven't taken my son on tot yet and he wants em to be the one to go on it with him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter