• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Great options for just the 2 of us...?

NicoleK1974

Mouseketeer
My daughter (who is afraid of swimming!!!) is absolutely OBSESSED with going on a Disney Cruise.
She has her heart set on the Dream and we will do thr 3/4 Day cruise.

It will be the first cruise for both of us.

I have a few questions and are looking for some ideas since it will just be myself and my daughter who will only be 8 at the time.

She is super shy until she gets to know other kids, and will not want to be put in the kids club, so we kinda come as a package for this trip.

She wants to go to the spa (she is an experienced spa girl...monthly or every other month massages and mani/pedi's) but I only see the adult and teen spas.

Is a "couples" treatment an option?

Are kids allowed in the coffee bar?

We will be staying in a concierge suite, are there any things that we could bypass in favor of things that are offered to conciege guests?

She isn't much for swimming in water that goes above waist level, so I'm not sure how much she will be in the water, but she loves being at the beach.
Would a bungalow be worth it?

I'm just looking for things we can do together and things that we won't be allowed to do since we will be just one adult and one child.

She is super shy until she gets to know other kids, and will not want to be put in the kids club, so we kinda come as a package for this trip.

i'll let the others answer the questions re. the spa, coffee bar, concierge suite, cabana, etc., but as for getting to know the other kids, i strongly encourage you to join your cruise meet group, either here on the disboards or on other social media sites. we did this last year for our alaskan cruise, and i set up DS8 and DD4 with several penpals with my fellow passengers. the kids exchanged several letters over the course of three months or so, and we even hung out with one family the day before the cruise. ran into almost all of them at the cruise terminal (recognized them by the photos / videos we sent each other, and also through that social media site). the kids were a little shy at first, but they ended up having a good time in the clubs together. DD didn't always play with the other girls, but she was happy to see a familiar and friendly face.

we also asked to be paired up with another family at the dinner table. the two kids from that family turned out to be very close in age with mine, and the older boys enjoyed hanging out together at the clubs. the mom and i made arrangements to send the boys there together so they would have a pal, allowing us to do other stuff.

anyway, i know you asked for things you can do together, but just want to let you know you might be able to get away for an hour or so for yourself too, if your daughter is up for it.

good luck and have a fun cruise! :)

My daughter (who is afraid of swimming!!!) is absolutely OBSESSED with going on a Disney Cruise.

I have a few questions and are looking for some ideas since it will just be myself and my daughter who will only be 8 at the time.

She wants to go to the spa (she is an experienced spa girl...monthly or every other month massages and mani/pedi's) but I only see the adult and teen spas.

We will be staying in a concierge suite, are there any things that we could bypass in favor of things that are offered to conciege guests?

She isn't much for swimming in water that goes above waist level, so I'm not sure how much she will be in the water, but she loves being at the beach.

I'm just looking for things we can do together and things that we won't be allowed to do since we will be just one adult and one child.
The spa is an adult only (18+) venue. There are some teen spa offerings, but those don't start until age 13. I doubt that you and she would qualify for a "couples" treatment.

"Coffee bar"? As in Cove Cafe? No, that's an adult-only venue, also. Or Vista Cafe? Yes, kids can be there.

The Dream does have a jacuzzi on the concierge deck you can enjoy together as well as a coffee machine in the lounge. Going to the theatre for a movie, family activities on the navigator, even open houses in the kids areas where you can join her. There are plenty of family activities that you can make fun and special together.

Playing "Goofy" golf and catching some movies would be a couple of suggestions. Of course always lots of choices for food that don't cost any extra. Plus being in concierge I believe you can also have food from the main dining rooms delivered if you want.

My kids, wife and I are almost inseparable on the ships. They are both teens but we do so much stuff together. Every night after dinner, we go through the next day's Navigator to decide which activities we want to do. We play bingo, go to towel folding, dessert making classes, do crafts and all kinds of things. They hardly spend any time in the clubs. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much you'll be able to do together.

Thank you all so much!

I was kind of worried that there wouldn't be enough things for just the 2 of us.

So much of the info that I have seen centers on great things for the kids by themselves and great things for the adults by themselves, but not as much about together time.

I didn't know about a lot of these fun sounding options!

I know she would LOVE towel folding classes and dessert making classes and things like this...she loves arts Nd crafts type things!

My kids, wife and I are almost inseparable on the ships. They are both teens but we do so much stuff together. Every night after dinner, we go through the next day's Navigator to decide which activities we want to do. We play bingo, go to towel folding, dessert making classes, do crafts and all kinds of things. They hardly spend any time in the clubs. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much you'll be able to do together.

I'm so happy to hear this. I am going on my first Disney cruise, well first EVER cruise, in May with my 15 year old son. He's not into joining any groups and I wondered if we would be able to find enough things to do together. We can't do adult only things, or kid only things. But it sounds like you guys found plenty to do together! Thanks for the piece of mind! :thanks:

I'm so happy to hear this. I am going on my first Disney cruise, well first EVER cruise, in May with my 15 year old son. He's not into joining any groups and I wondered if we would be able to find enough things to do together. We can't do adult only things, or kid only things. But it sounds like you guys found plenty to do together! Thanks for the piece of mind! :thanks:
The Navigator has all the activities listed as "Fun for all ages" and have plenty to do

You can ask at the spa whether they are offering mother-daughter treatments on your cruise. There is no guarantee, so certainly don't promise your daughter, but it is possible if bookings aren't strong. My daughter and I were able to get mani/pedi treatments together on the Magic when she was 10 and 12.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter