Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any news as to when GMR might close? I can see Disney closing to update, refurbish, or overlay a whole new ride, but I can't imagine they'd do that before TSL at least opens, if not the SWE as well.

Is there any news as to when GMR might close? I can see Disney closing to update, refurbish, or overlay a whole new ride, but I can't imagine they'd do that before TSL at least opens, if not the SWE as well.
If it closes for a new ride it was said it would do so before the end of 2017.

I'm obviously way late to the thread - has anyone heard any rumored dates in 2017/18 or is it just speculated to be sometime this year?

This is awful news and my whole family is extremely disappointed as it was one of our go-to rides when we would visit HS. My brother and I would play the soundtrack for the final montage on repeat when we were kids. Understandably progress has to be made and new things will be coming, but at the same time, it's going to be difficult stomaching saying goodbye to the rides I grew up on and have come to love.

I'm obviously way late to the thread - has anyone heard any rumored dates in 2017/18 or is it just speculated to be sometime this year?

This is awful news and my whole family is extremely disappointed as it was one of our go-to rides when we would visit HS. My brother and I would play the soundtrack for the final montage on repeat when we were kids. Understandably progress has to be made and new things will be coming, but at the same time, it's going to be difficult stomaching saying goodbye to the rides I grew up on and have come to love.
It's a rumor it's not confirmed don't panic yet but it's said to close this year.

It's a rumor it's not confirmed don't panic yet but it's said to close this year.

Thank you for the update! I've heard this rumor elsewhere aside from the boards as well, so I would assume it's definitely in the works, however it's refreshing to know there should be at least several more months to enjoy it.

So bummed about this!!!! GMR was DD8's very first ride at Disney World when she just turned 4! She loved it then and loves it now. I'm glad we had the chance to enjoy it and it will be missed. :(

I hope it closes at the very end of the year at least, I'm going to WDW for the first time in November and have been looking forward to this ride :(

After Debbie Reynolds' unfortunate death I've been wanting to ride it, if not at least go through the Chinese theater. As of now my oft-delayed trip is in the summer so I'm hoping the closure is after

This has probably already been covered - but how far into the 5 year sponsorship is TCM? Surely we're not at the end of that.

First, this is sad to hear. the great movie ride is a classic. I do wish they would keep the same concept but completely re-do the ride with all updated and relevant film experiences to go through. Seeing it close down will be a sad thing, but it does bring some new added excitement to the building that at one point was the focal point of the park. With Star Wars and Pixar coming in and developing. This ride would sure have been a misnomer. a Mickey or "Original" disney character ride would be nice considering there are not many attractions that star just the original characters.

First, this is sad to hear. the great movie ride is a classic. I do wish they would keep the same concept but completely re-do the ride with all updated and relevant film experiences to go through. Seeing it close down will be a sad thing, but it does bring some new added excitement to the building that at one point was the focal point of the park. With Star Wars and Pixar coming in and developing. This ride would sure have been a misnomer. a Mickey or "Original" disney character ride would be nice considering there are not many attractions that star just the original characters.
I totally agree. I fear with all the changes, I won't make it back to Hollywood Studios anytime soon. The only appeal left is the Rockin' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, and the Fantasmic show.

GMR is pretty cool.. as long as they replace it something equally cool or better..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter