• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing to remember - there is ZERO basis in the real world to believe this is going to happen in 2017. Sure a fairly reliable rumor-spinner said it, but it doesn't really pass the "sniff" test in my view. Two major problems with it:

(1) Ride is sufficiently popular as to not need replacement. This is not Stitch or Ellen, there is a steady line of people entering this ride at all times. This alone might not be enough but...
(2) The park is already ride thin until at least 2019. Remember, part of the reason Disney won't fix the Yeti is they feel that DAK can't be without EE for a long period of time. DHS has FIVE rides available to it.

Here's currently max operating ride capacity of the five DHS rides - in riders per hour (includes the new TSMM track).
RocknRoller Coaster 1620
Tower of Terror 1800
Toy Story Midway Mania 1350
Star Tours 1620
The Great Movie Ride 2160

Realize that is only 8,550 riders per hour on rides. This is comparable to DAK (which they won't take a ride off-line to fix), but Epcot is about 12,500 and MK is almost triple that at 25,000. (Yes, I'm not including "shows" in this, but those are a different animal.) Note also GMR has the largest capacity of all the rides at DHS.

Now let's take away GMR - our ride capacity for the park drops to 6,390 people per hour - a 25 % drop in rider capacity. In a park that average attendance is 29,000 people, peaking on busy days around 40,000 people. If we assume an average day at DHS is a 11 hour day (9 AM to 8 PM) your total rider capacity is 70,290. With 29,000 people, that means the average person can ride 2.4 rides in a day (down from 3.25 with GMR on line). But people expect to ride rides in theme parks - so lines for the other rides go up if this shuts down - cause most people aren't going to be happy with 2 rides in a day. MK meanwhile is somewhere around 8-9 rides per day average.

And here's the thing - if I can do this math, so can Imagineering and Management. They know the situation in that park, a situation that won't be relieved until 2018 at LEAST.

So I'm saying - this rumor doesn't hold up to the "sniff" test - in other words - it stinks. Closing Stitch for something new, or closing Ellen for GotG doesn't have the stench that this does - the parks can take those outages because those rides aren't that popular. The DHS Tower of Terror rumor had this exact same stench - capacity numbers at DHS can't take the hit - and turns out that one wasn't true either.

I hear your logic, but last summer they were leaving every other car empty on the GMR, and this was peak season. Just not as much interest as there used to be. They still had to put an employee on the car just because how some of the scenes progress (Wizard of Oz for one). This ride is long in the tooth and doesn't have a technological wow factor (or modern classics) to capture the younger audience.

Just so everyone's clear - I'm not arguing that they won't replace it eventually or even in the next few years - I'm arguing it won't be shut down next year. That park is so hobbled right now. And could you imagine if they had some sort of breakdown on say RnRC and went down to 3 rides? I just don't see them taking down any of the 5 rides in that park for any extended period of time until at LEAST Toy Story Land comes on-line, and probably not until Star Wars land is up and running.

Of course, I've been wrong before, I didn't think they would add the capacity to TSMM, but then again I didn't take into account that they would be gutting the park. TSMM add-on was almost a necessity. Admittedly they didn't take out THAT much, but that park was thin already. Now it's so thin you can see through it.

I think your logic is pretty sound. Until at least TSL opens it would be insane for them to take it down. Lines are already extreme due to the lack of attractions, and with all the construction there isn't even that many shows anymore. They already have enough complaints about it being a construction zone and "half a park" type comments with its current state.

However, once the new areas start opening I definitely could see it getting replaced. It is a nice classic ride but it doesn't have that wow factor that many want. There is a couple good spots in it but overall it is just a decent ride. And many kids will want something wowing. And having Star Wars opening up next to it will just make the technological difference and the age of the attraction that much more apparent. And with it's location that is a prime spot for a major attraction for the park being right at the hub of it.

I would like to see them update the ride with some live action Disney movies that are widely loved but rarely represented, or can't stand on their own in the parks. I'd love to see something from "Splash," especially since the original song from Splash plays in the queue (or at least it did the last time I rode it in 2014), Something from one of the recent live action fairy tales like "Into the Woods" would be great, and of course "Mary Poppins" and "Fantasia" could stay.

I'd enjoy it as a Mickey Mouse ride as well, especially if it kept the same kind of concept where we ride through different Mickey Toons, and it starts in Steamboat Willie and progresses through his history up through the shorts they've made in the last few years.

@skier_pete where do you get your ride capacity numbers from? I'm curious to look at them.

I do think that is a very valid point. It does need to factor the big shows as well, and think that would work towards your argument as well. I think the loss of LMA, while necessary, killed off a capacity eater.

@skier_pete where do you get your ride capacity numbers from? I'm curious to look at them.

I do think that is a very valid point. It does need to factor the big shows as well, and think that would work towards your argument as well. I think the loss of LMA, while necessary, killed off a capacity eater.
I know there is a ride capacity thread on here somewhere. I'd have to go find it.

I got them off this website - I am trusting the data is correct.

https://crooksinwdw.wordpress.com/2013/12/14/theoreticaloperational-hourly-ride-capacity-at-wdw/

I have never done GMR even though I've been going to Disney regularly since before Disney MGM studios opened! Crazy, right? Maybe I should make sure I take that opportunity before anything potentially happens to it. I couldn't picture them taking it down before SW or TS lands open though?? Take away one of the headliner rides from a park that is already so slimmed down?

I rode GMR on our trip two weeks ago. GMR has always been a favorite of mine, since I really like old movies. Toward the end, I actually had tears in my eyes knowing this may be the last time I ever go on this ride.

My wife actually enjoyed GMR more this time than she did when we went to DHS last March.

If it was up to me, i'd keep it. Maybe swap out a movie or two, but keep it.

I'd enjoy it as a Mickey Mouse ride as well, especially if it kept the same kind of concept where we ride through different Mickey Toons, and it starts in Steamboat Willie and progresses through his history up through the shorts they've made in the last few years.

That's how I'd envision a Mickey Mouse take over of this ride. Keep the general feel of the ride but have it be Mickey through the years Starting with b&w Steamboat Willie and progressing to his current form. Hopefully make the ride a little more engaging too, like add some motion to the vehicles to go along with the scenes where it woudl work well

That's how I'd envision a Mickey Mouse take over of this ride. Keep the general feel of the ride but have it be Mickey through the years Starting with b&w Steamboat Willie and progressing to his current form. Hopefully make the ride a little more engaging too, like add some motion to the vehicles to go along with the scenes where it woudl work well
If the Mickey ride happens it would be a trackless ride like ratatouille in Paris.

I totally agree! Mickey needs his own ride!

I think there are lots of possibilities for a Mickey full length movie and I feel that there would be lots of people who would love to see one.

My idea is to change the ride to showcase Mickey. They can start with a scene from his first ever film appearance in Plane Crazy in which Minnie also premiered. Then they can do a scene from Steamboat Willie to honor not only Mickey but this movie's huge impact historically as the first ever animated movie with sound. From that they can show segment of The Karnival Kid (first time Mickey speaks - his first words are "Hot Dogss" and a segment from The Band Concert (first time Mickey appeared in color), Mr. Mouse Takes a Trip, Fantasia, Fun and Fancy Free, Mickey and the Beanstalk ( and these are all just movies prior to 1950!).

There is definitely enough material for the Imagineers to work with that also honor the history of the movie industry! So, it really is time to give Mickey his due and create a ride that centers around him and the Fab Five!
I agree but I would like them to go beyond the Mickey and Minnie facade. Perhaps they could include some out-takes and bloopers from their early days. I've heard rumors that they both had a tendency to use salty language off camera.

I have some good memories on this ride and while a part of me is sad to see it go, I don't really enjoy it anymore.

This ride terrified DD8 when she was 6. I doubt I'll be able to get her to go on it again in January. Guess I'll have to ride it without her. I'm not missing my last chance to.

I hear your logic, but last summer they were leaving every other car empty on the GMR, and this was peak season. Just not as much interest as there used to be. They still had to put an employee on the car just because how some of the scenes progress (Wizard of Oz for one). This ride is long in the tooth and doesn't have a technological wow factor (or modern classics) to capture the younger audience.

We went this past August (last week) and went to HS on a "slow" day and still had to wait for GMR for almost 30 minutes. We went the year before the same time period and waited even longer. When I look at the wait apps, it always looks like it has 20 minutes or more, never a walk on.

I love The Great Movie Ride. With its dazzling display of over a dozen Audio Animatronics tied into amazing set peices set to classic and beloved films, it is one of my favorite attractions at Walt Disney World. It will truly be missed.
I agree. It is one of my favorites. My kids love that ride and we sure will miss it. It is a classic .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter