Gratuity? Tips?

DebIreland

ಠvಠ
Please bear with me because I am new to the U.S. tipping system :)

I was just looking at the menus on allearsnet and saw that some restaurants say gratuity is 15% extra.

My question is, when gratuity is extra is it customary to still leave a tip? so is it 15% gratuity *plus* 20% (approx) tip? :confused3

This is a personal decision. If gratuity is included at 15% I add an extra 5% as a tip. I used to be a waitress though, and I know how important tips are.

I use to be a dealer in Las Vegas and like kandeebunny, I always tip a little more then 15%.."IF" the service was good.. it it was just there or I had to wait alot longer then I felt I should had.. then 15% is enough.

If the 15% was added on, then you don't need to leave an extra tip, but as the previous posters mentioned, I alway's add another 5% or more. I too used to wait tables, so I leave 20% as a standard for acceptable service, and more if the service was really good.

Disney has increased their gratuity from 15% to 18% (effective in December 2004). So if you have a party of 8 or more, 18% will be added to your bill. You then have the option to increase it if you feel you want to, but are not obligated.

Also the 18% tip is added to dinner shows (HDD/Luau). Again your choice if you want to add more.

We personally try to tip at 20% when appropriate. But have left less when receiving poor service (only once in our Disney lifetime).

I tend to just leave the bill alone if the gratuities/tip are already included, I feel the management has already dicided for me.....even if the wait person was awful!!! When tipping I tend to base mine on 15% the only wait persons who get more(20%) are those individuals that were exceptional at there job.

Usually the minimum hubby and I tip is 20% plus. We like to encourage good service. Being a server is a hard job. Those that are good deserve the plus end of the tip. When we get really horrible service..we usually leave 10%. There have been a couple times when we have left absolutely nothing..the service was that bad.

Keep in mind..we have no problem leaving a 50% tip for outstanding service.

Really anywhere from 10% to 20% is standard. Gratuity is often added for large parties and some restruants, extra is not necessary to leave. Being restruant people, we start with a 20% tip. If service is way above and beyond, sometimes we leave more. When service is bad, we'll drop it down to 10%. And when service is beyond bad and gratuity was added, we always ask to speak to a manager. We explain *exactly* why we don't think that amount of gratuity isn't deserved, even if we still pay it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter