Gratuity on DDP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously you didnt read the post I was replying to. The poster I was replying to is a RN and she was asking why should she have to tip when she worked just as hard as a server (IMHO she works even harder then a server). I never said servers dont do a thing. But they dont so much that their job is harder then a professional job. You dont understand why people need a wedding planner? I'll tell you why people need a wedding planner. Couple reasons, 1 - because they dont no the 1st thing about planning a wedding, 2 - because they dont have the TIME to plan a wedding and 3 - even though they might have the time and may know how, they want someone to take care of any problems that may rise up before and during the wedding. No bride wants to be stressed during her wedding reception taking care of problems when she can be off having a good time. You wouldnt believe what kind of issues I have had to deal with. And every single time something happens, no one knows except for me and for the people Im working with. Sorta like a behind the scenes issue. Just because I dont live in NY doesnt mean I dont make good money. In my 1st year of doing weddings which was 2 yrs ago, I made $50,000. And it was a combination of military weddings and civilan weddings. Now that word has gotten around about my services, just last year I made $70,000 which is the national average how much wedding planners do make. You dont know how much wedding planners do make. Your not a wedding planner. No wedding planner makes hundreds of thousands of dollars off 1 wedding. At most a wedding planner might make $10,000 off 1 wedding, regardless where they live. And then it also all depends how many weddings they do. A lot of wedding planners do 1 wedding a time. Once they are done with 1 wedding, then they move onto the next. So at most they could have just a couple weddings a yr. However, with me, Im constantly doing weddings. I dont focus just on 1 wedding at a time. Infact currently right now Im doing 5 weddings and Im sure I will get more as the yr rolls on.

Actually some very high priced wedding planners make VERY GOOD MONEY! Just ask the planners who do weddings for movie stars and millionaires. 70,000 a year planning weddings, maybe I should get into that field heck I planned my own wedding 15 years ago and didn't do to shabby..It does not feel good having someone dog on your job does it?? I won't argue that nurses work hard, its just different jobs I won't compare.

And not to mention the LONGGGGGGGGG hours they have to pull sometimes. Sometimes they pull a 24 hr, 48 hr maybe even more then that shifts. That poster you are replying to is over exagerating everything. Drs do NOT make millions of dollars, wedding planners dont make hundreds of thousands of dollars and teachers do NOT make good money. My sister is a teacher and shes lucky if she brings in anything close to $30,000 a yr. Teachers and military are the 2 most underpaid profesional jobs out there. DH only makes $29,000 a yr after taxes and he's a staff sergent.

No Doctors DO NOT make millions of dollars a year. Yes, a few of the cosmetic doctors do, but most doctors get paid MUCH less than 1M a year. Some of them don't even pull in six digits. Yes, it is still good money, but it's not what a lot people think. Figure in the six figure debt they incur, the amount of time of lost income (in med school it's very hard to work), the countless sleepless nights, the lives that they save, they lives that they improve. You CAN NOT compare a doctor to a waitress in terms of income. Yes, doctors make much better money, but think of the education and responsibility involved.

Yes read what you wrote - MOVIE STARS AND MILLIONAIRES. How many wedding planners do weddings for movie stars and millionaires? Not a whole lot.

Actually some very high priced wedding planners make VERY GOOD MONEY! Just ask the planners who do weddings for movie stars and millionaires. 70,000 a year planning weddings, maybe I should get into that field heck I planned my own wedding 15 years ago and didn't do to shabby..It does not feel good having someone dog on your job does it?? I won't argue that nurses work hard, its just different jobs I won't compare.

No Doctors DO NOT make millions of dollars a year. Yes, a few of the cosmetic doctors do, but most doctors get paid MUCH less than 1M a year. Some of them don't even pull in six digits. Yes, it is still good money, but it's not what a lot people think. Figure in the six figure debt they incur, the amount of time of lost income (in med school it's very hard to work), the countless sleepless nights, the lives that they save, they lives that they improve. You CAN NOT compare a doctor to a waitress in terms of income. Yes, doctors make much better money, but think of the education and responsibility involved.

As far as teachers, again, they shouldn't be compared. If you ask me, teachers don't make enough money. Maybe if they did, that would encourage people to pursue a career in education that otherwise wouldn't due to the money.

EDUCATION and RESPONSIBILITY! Those play a big factor in pay. I know many servers are educated because they can make more money waiting tables than what their degree is in. I'm not saying that servers aren't smart or responsible. What I am saying is "Are servers required to have 8 years of education and AT LEAST 4 additional years of training?" NO. "Do servers have someone's life in their hand?" NO. "Do servers have to have 4 years of education like teachers?" NO. Do servers have the future of our children in their hands?" NO.

We do tip. I feel the servers deserve it - at least most of them. Personally I would rather tip than to have a 15-18% automatic "surcharge" added to my bill or have higher menu items. That encourages a server to do their job well. I just don't understand why people must bring in unrelated careers such as doctors and teachers.

I totally agree with you, you can't compare either of these jobs to another. You can't say well you should tip your doctor or teacher because they are doing a service. Its not the way its set up, I was referring to above posted who was comparing the jobs you can't compare. I do extra things for my doctors and my kids teachers, I gave my OB doctor a strawberry shortcake from the strawberry fest trying to get him to deliver me sooner :rolleyes1 . I think if I was to hand them a cash tip they would think I am crazy:lovestruc

:lmao: You honestly do NOT know what you are talking about! Please just stop while your ahead and say something again that isnt true.

Wedding planners who do normal weddings outweigh the ones who do weddings for millionaires and celeberties. Wherever you are getting your facts, you need to recheck them again. You havent been through college for wedding planning. I HAVE. I know what im talking about.

There are more then you think, just like how many servers who make 76,000 a year serving tables they are out there but not many..

:lmao: You honestly do NOT know what you are talking about! Please just stop while your ahead and say something again that isn't true.

Wedding planners who do normal weddings outweigh the ones who do weddings for millionaires and celebrities. Wherever you are getting your facts, you need to recheck them again. You haven't been through college for wedding planning. I HAVE. I know what I'm talking about.
Please refer to the link I posted!!:lmao: :lmao: Same could be said for servers, there are more Denny, Ihops, small home restaurants then high priced Disney server jobs..

How did this trhread get so off track with arguing about Wedding Planners!! I did read that the average Disney server makes around $70,000 a year which is pretty good but that is mostly tips not wages. Would I prefer no tipping of course I would, but would I want to pay the extra bucks for my food so the servers could make minimum! No tips where's the incentive to do a great job!! When I went solo I tipped very well as I felt they had only 1 person to run back and forth for. So I tipped well over 18% sometimes 30% . I never had charging privelidges put on my KTTK and tipped in cash . Had no problems what so ever. When I go with the fami;ly next year hopefully we will be 5 so not subject to the automatic 18%. I realyy don't like that . I like to be in control of how much I tip!!

How did this trhread get so off track with arguing about Wedding Planners!! I did read that the average Disney server makes around $70,000 a year which is pretty good but that is mostly tips not wages. Would I prefer no tipping of course I would, but would I want to pay the extra bucks for my food so the servers could make minimum! No tips where's the incentive to do a great job!! When I went solo I tipped very well as I felt they had only 1 person to run back and forth for. So I tipped well over 18% sometimes 30% . I never had charging privelidges put on my KTTK and tipped in cash . Had no problems what so ever. When I go with the fami;ly next year hopefully we will be 5 so not subject to the automatic 18%. I realyy don't like that . I like to be in control of how much I tip!!

Seriously? 70,000/yr.? Wow! I used to waitress.....guess I should've moved to Florida instead spending all those years at Friendly's.:lmao:
Anyway, I have a question. Not sure if its been answered, so sorry if it has. Everyone has spoken of either paying tip in cash or charging with the room key which is linked to your credit card. Can you not just use your actual credit card? :confused: I don't like linking it to the key and carrying cash can be a pain.

I didnt see that link before. I guess Im blind today! But anyways, yes what you read on that website is accurate. However, with that said, most wedding planners make more then what its stated on that website. From what I learned in my schooling, most wedding planners these days make on average $70,000 a yr. It all depends on how much you charge per wedding and how many you do. As for the servers jobs, I really dont see how someone can make $70,000 a yr waiting tables. Thats more then what DH makes! If that was true, I would suggest DH quit the military and go be a waiter. Perferably at a Disney restraunt. Cuz I wanna live by Disney.

Please refer to the link I posted!!:lmao: :lmao: Same could be said for servers, there are more Denny, Ihops, small home restaurants then high priced Disney server jobs..

I dont see why you couldnt. That would be something you might have to ask you waiter though. It wouldnt be any different if you were paying for the meal with a credit card. You would still be paying the tip with the credit card. You dont see people pay their meal with a credit card and then leave cash for a tip. Its usually all cash or all credit card. In Disney's case with the DDP, I've always have heard you pay cash for the tip or with the room key, which eventually gets charged to your card. So I dont see why you couldnt use a credit card just for tips. It all still gets charged on the card eventually.

Seriously? 70,000/yr.? Wow! I used to waitress.....guess I should've moved to Florida instead spending all those years at Friendly's.:lmao:
Anyway, I have a question. Not sure if its been answered, so sorry if it has. Everyone has spoken of either paying tip in cash or charging with the room key which is linked to your credit card. Can you not just use your actual credit card? :confused: I don't like linking it to the key and carrying cash can be a pain.

Here some pretty interesting info:
http://people.howstuffworks.com/tipping1.htm

The Psychology of Tipping

The most prominent reason for tipping appears to be more of a guilt issue than a gratitude issue. We know that tipping, at least in the United States, is expected, and if we don't tip, we stand the chance of angering the server, and then who knows what our next visit to that restaurant, airport or salon will be like?

Also, our assumption that tipping is designed to encourage good service for our next visit may or may not be accurate. What if we are at a restaurant that we know we won't be back to? What then is our motivation to tip? Some argue that it is a way of making ourselves feel better about being served because we know the waiter works hard and isn't paid well.

Can the Weather Determine Tip Amounts? *
Temple University psychologist Bruce Rind found that weather can be influence tip amounts. Rind conducted a study in a room with no visual clues to the weather. "When the server told guests that it was raining, tips averaged 19 percent of the bill. But describing sunny skies sent the gratuity rate soaring to 24 percent" [Source: Pyschology Today].

Believe it or not, a lot of research has gone into why we tip and what makes us tip more or less for similar service. Research has shown that the quality of the service we receive isn't always reflected in the tip we leave. Many who have studied the practice have discovered that excellent service only draws a marginally higher tip than average service. Other things the server might do, however, do make more of a difference -- probably without our even realizing it.

Cornell University's Center for Hospitality Research conducted several studies revealing some other interesting facts about server habits that can boost tip percentages. Here are a few of them:

Briefly touching patrons' shoulders may increase tip amounts.
Touching - Waiters experienced a tip increase from 11.8 percent to 14.8 percent of the check total when they briefly touched the shoulder of the customer. Both men and women left higher tips when touched, and although younger customers increased their tip amount more, all ages increased the tip by some amount [Source: Center for Hospitality Research at Cornell].

*Squatting - Two studies showed that waiters who squatted next to the table when taking orders and talking with customers increased their tips from 14.9 percent of the bill to 17.5 percent of the bill in one study, and from 12 percent to 15 percent in another study. Apparently, the eye contact and closer interaction creates a more intimate connection and makes us want to give the server more money [Source: Center for Hospitality Research at Cornell].

Including candy with the check may increase tip amount.
Giving candy - A study that involved giving customers a piece of candy with their bill showed an increase in tip percentage from 15.1 percent to 17.8 percent. Another study in which servers gave each customer two pieces of candy with the bill increased the tip from 19 percent to 21.6 percent of the bill. Still another study showed that the way the server gave the customer the candy had the largest impact on the increase of the tip: This study had the server initially give each member of the customer's party one piece of candy and then "spontaneously" offer a second piece of candy. This method increased the tip to 23 percent of the bill [Source: Center for Hospitality Research at Cornell].

Your system isn't better. Your wait staff are paid a pittance, far less than minimum wage. They rely on the largess of strangers to survive. I worked in the restaurant industry for more than 10 years as a university student/young adult. At least my hourly wage could pay my rent.

I waitress 4 days a week at a very small (13 table) family restaurant. What I make a month in this teeny tiny place pays my house MORTGAGE and bills.
I actually bring home more than my husband does. His work provides all the perks like insurance, vacations, sick pay, even Maternity/Paternity Leave.
What I make covers all the bills and then some.

Trust me, depending on where you work as a server, you could make a VERY good living. I for one LOVE the current system. There are some days where I have a table leave me very little or nothing at all. No big deal because it always works out at the end of the day. I don't look at what I make by each table, I just think about the end of the shift. The larger picture.

If restaurants went to paying servers an hourly wage then I would want to get paid at LEAST 20-25 dollars an hour to do it. Otherwise, all restaurants are going to be staffed by high school and college kids who are happy to make 10 dollars or under. No thanks.

That all being said, I don't plan on doing it forever. I am in school now and should be graduating in Dec 2009 with a major in English/Secondary Education. Yes, I am going to be a teacher probably making less (cash wise) than I am now but I am ok with that because it means more to *me to be a teacher long term. Although where I live now, Teachers don't have it all that bad. Starting salary here is 40,000-43,000. Still low, but better than some teachers in other areas have it.

Disney8704 said:
To me I feel that I shouldnt have to give mine and DHs hard earned money to servers.
Fine. You don't have to tip. You can eat in a wide variety of counter service locations. When you CHOOSE to dine in a restaurant where someone comes to your table and takes your order - likely multiple times while you're there - and deliver your food and check on your satisfaction and cater/kowtow to you in a variety of ways, you tip.
The poster I was replying to is a RN and she was asking why should she have to tip when she worked just as hard as a server (IMHO she works even harder then a server)
Nurses are well-compensated for the work they do, ESPECIALLY in comparison to restaurant servers.

I agree that most other jobs are just as if not more damanding and tiring. From I have heard (from my sister's sister-in-law who is also a RN at a hospital) most Drs and nurses work at least 12 hrs a day. Some even pull double's. Do they get tipped for doing surgerys and taking care of their patients - no. Teachers - do they get tipped for teaching your child, no. Me (Im a wedding a planner), do I get tipped for my services and doing a job well done, no. DH he's in the air force, does he get tipped for going over to the desert for 4 months defending our country which is WAY more tiring and stressful then any waiter job, no. Do we all make decent money - yes.

To me I feel that I shouldnt have to give mine and DHs hard earned money to servers

However, the careers you listed are not tipped positions in America. In America, servers are in a tipped position. The custom in American restaurants is to tip, just as in many other countries the custom is not to tip, as service is included in the bill and wages differ.

If you do not wish to tip you have in my opinion a few choices
- dine only at 'counter service' or takeaway places (although I do tip when picking up a takeway order at a full service restaurant in America)
- only dine out in those countries where tipping is not the norm (although one usually does still leave a few Euros etc)

I travel all over the world, and take the time to learn the customs of each country I am visiting. I do not attempt to impose my preferences or the cultures of my country onto anyone else.

The same applies here. Tipping is the norm and is expected in America. If someone does not like this, they can lobby the government to change minimum wage.

But not tipping your server in America because you happen not to agree with the concept of tipping is simply penalizing an innocent party.

I dont know why people are getting all sour with me. I have never stated that I dont tip. I stated I DONT LIKE TO TIP. Theres a difference there. And if your gonna get sour with anyone, get sour with the person who posted that they dont like to tip and dont see why people do tip. I was simplying replying to her post. Not create an useless and senseless argument.

You know DH made a very good point one time. He said, dont the people on the DISboards have anything better to do then spend their time on here arguing on how people tip. He also said that its non of other peoples business on how others tips and its stupid to argue over it. And I couldnt agree more.

However, the careers you listed are not tipped positions in America. In America, servers are in a tipped position. The custom in American restaurants is to tip, just as in many other countries the custom is not to tip, as service is included in the bill and wages differ.

If you do not wish to tip you have in my opinion a few choices
- dine only at 'counter service' or takeaway places (although I do tip when picking up a takeway order at a full service restaurant in America)
- only dine out in those countries where tipping is not the norm (although one usually does still leave a few Euros etc)

I travel all over the world, and take the time to learn the customs of each country I am visiting. I do not attempt to impose my preferences or the cultures of my country onto anyone else.

The same applies here. Tipping is the norm and is expected in America. If someone does not like this, they can lobby the government to change minimum wage.

But not tipping your server in America because you happen not to agree with the concept of tipping is simply penalizing an innocent party.

I don't tend to read all posts in a very long thread, just the first page and the last few. It would appear that the last three pages or so are very argumentative between a few posters.

You know DH made a very good point one time. He said, dont the people on the DISboards have anything better to do then spend their time on here arguing on how people tip. He also said that its non of other peoples business on how others tips and its stupid to argue over it. And I couldnt agree more.

I made one post on this thread - I certainly would not consider my one post or the contents thereof argumentative.

As has been just stated, tipping is the custom in this country. So...it should be considered part of 'doing business' with a particular restaurant. If you don't agree with the practice, then don't eat out. That would be the same as telling your doctor that you think his/her service is only worth $50, not $75 (well, not the same but you get the idea).
Every occupation has it's higher paid people and lower paid people. It depends on where you live, what type business it is. My brother worked in very upscale restaurants in Boston and he made a very good living! But, if you work at Friendly's, you won't make the same amount...two different types of restaurants.

The original poster's question was about whether you needed to tip on the dining plan and how to pay the tip.

This thread has gone far afield of that and the OP's question was answered quite awhile ago.

I'm going to close this one now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter