• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gratuities. Standard amount? More? What's expected?

dreadpiraterose

I'd Rather Be Cruising
Husband and I just came off our 3rd cruise together, and found ourselves wondering about the gratuity expectations for room hosts and servers. On our first cruise, we basically just did the recommended amounts, not really knowing any better I guess? We just assumed the standard recommended amount was adequate.

On the 2nd cruise we added more to our server, who was just above and beyond amazing. This most recent cruise, we felt like we had just absolutely stellar service from all, so we adjusted the tips up quite a bit for all servers and our room host.

It got me wondering about the expectations. If a server, for example, only gets the standard tip, are they going to feel like they didn't do a good enough job? Is it expected to give more than the standard tip for typical "Disney quality" service? How much extra is expected, if so?

An an example, I think the standard tip for a server was like $58 on our 7-day cruise. We ended up giving $85 because he is just amazing and we adore him. Acceptable? Standard? Crazy?

Would love it if there are any crew lurking about who could chime in. I just want to make sure our tipped crew feel adequately appreciated for the work they do. We have never had anything other than Disney-level service, and sometimes above and beyond that, and we want the crew to feel appreciated.

We usually increase our Server, Asst Server and Room Steward's tip. Sometimes by 50% like you did. Sometimes only another $5 or $10 - it really depends upon the person.

I don't know what they would really expect per day / week / cruise. But if you are giving at least the standard, anything above should they should love.

A long time ago here on the DIS there was someone who tipped "a lot" extra and thought that there serving team seemed "cold and distant" at disembarkation breakfast. However, I would not judge your servers if they liked their tip or not by that breakfast - these folks have another seating (or are working on the second seating) AND have to get the room ready for the next group of passengers. The way DCL turns these ships around in a few hours is really pretty amazing.

Bottom Line - leave at least the standard gratuities!!!

A long time ago here on the DIS there was someone who tipped "a lot" extra and thought that there serving team seemed "cold and distant" at disembarkation breakfast. However, I would not judge your servers if they liked their tip or not by that breakfast - these folks have another seating (or are working on the second seating) AND have to get the room ready for the next group of passengers. The way DCL turns these ships around in a few hours is really pretty amazing.

Bottom Line - leave at least the standard gratuities!!!

Interesting. We have always had pleasant exchanges post-gratuities so no issues there.

I just didn't want to leave anyone feeling like they didn't go a good job (when they definitely did) because they only got the standard or just above.

We have yet to have anything but really outstanding service, and it always has seemed genuine. We talk to our servers and room steward, find out their story, we show them respect, and boy do we get it back in spades! What goes around comes around, and I get the feeling some people ignore them or treat them like servants. For us, every one has been great.

So, to your question, the service we get makes it easy to tip them a lot more than the minimum. It is a reward they have well earned. Give them the chance to impress you, and they will! Then tip accordingly.

We have yet to have anything but really outstanding service, and it always has seemed genuine. We talk to our servers and room steward, find out their story, we show them respect, and boy do we get it back in spades! What goes around comes around, and I get the feeling some people ignore them or treat them like servants. For us, every one has been great.

So, to your question, the service we get makes it easy to tip them a lot more than the minimum. It is a reward they have well earned. Give them the chance to impress you, and they will! Then tip accordingly.

What do you consider a "lot more than minimum"? That's part of what I'm trying to gauge for future sailings. 20% more? 50% more?

We usually tip our servers & room steward an extra $20 each above the standard, don't usually tip the dining room head extra unless we've had a lot of specific interaction with them. The last time we went we tipped the room steward an extra $50 as he had a lot more to deal with since we had a toddler in tow, and our room was always pristine no matter when we came back to it (the number of cheerios that poor man had to vacuum up alone deserved a little extra)!

One of the reasons we travel primarily through Disney is because of our son's life threatening food allergies. They have always gone above and beyond to accomodate his dietary restrictions. Because of this, we tip more than double the recommended amounts.

We also tip the Chef in Cabanas who assists our son with breakfast and lunch through out the week. I din't think there is a right or wrong answer to this question.

Wen cruising with friends, one of my friends didn't feel the need to contribute to the "extra" tip....until we pointed out that the $4 per day for our amazing server equaled a tip of $1.33 per meal. That drove it home.

It's up to you and what makes you feel good. When I feel like I have excellent service, I tip a lot. I do that anywhere, not just on cruises. On the cruises, I don't figure a percentage, I just give whatever feels right. It may be $20. or $100. more than the minimum tip. It really depends on what feels right at the time.

We tipped everyone extra on our DCL cruise to Alaska. I felt like everyone in the dining room went above and beyond to make sure there were things my son could eat. (He's picky and vegetarian, so it was a big challenge). I did 20 or 30 dollars cash for each person on top of the standard. Our last cruise before that was on NCL. I tipped our cabin steward extra because he went out of his way to make sure we were happy every day. Everyone else got the standard. Service would need to be truly terrible for me to give less than the standard. I have never experienced terrible service on any cruise line, so it hasn't happened yet.

No one has really commented on concierge. That range seems to go from minimal to cruise deposit range. Any thoughts?

We have so far at least done some extra. Our first cruise our drinks were waiting for us every night, the head server came around several times, etc so we did $20 extra for our server, $10 extra for the asst. server, and $10 for the head server. Our last one the servers were good but just not quite as good as the first ones so we did $10 extra for the server, $5 extra for the asst. and head server. (Both of these were 3 night on the Dream).

By the way, you can get change at Guest Services. All I had was $20's on this last one so if you forget the smaller bills or run out of time you can get it there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter