Grand Floridian DVC Info, Speculation, and Update Thread - Part 1!

My personal thoughts on GFV

The monorail seems no closer than some of the buildings at the Polynesian.

The walk to the monorail or buses is no further and possibly even less than BLT and some buildings at the Polynesian and at least the walkway is covered.

Views, I think there will be some very good views, definitely better than BCV.

It is going to be very popular with new members that love the GF.

So...

We currently do not own DVC (our stays at OKW and BWV were through Marriott, who split their partnership with Disney) and now I'm looking into joining once VGF comes available.

Can someone give me a slight overview of what DVC offers that makes it easier than booking a DVC room on Disney's website?

Also, if we buy into DVC this year and don't use our points, can we take those points and keep them for next spring (along with next year's points)?

The walk to the monorail or buses is no further and possibly even less than BLT and some buildings at the Polynesian and at least the walkway is covered.

Sammie,

Did you see it from the monorail recently? (Curiosity only. ;) :flower3:).

It's that one corner room that angles toward the monorail that makes the view/distance unique - higher than the Polynesian - it's window to monorail window - different feeling going on by at exact level so to speak. In my opinion. ;). Anyway regardless some will absolutely LOVE that corner room location (top two floors?) - others will complain for sure. It should be interesting.

I too agree - I truly believe that GFV will be VERY popular. The grounds are beautiful.

Sammie,

Did you see it from the monorail recently? (Curiosity only. ;) :flower3:).

It's that one corner room angles toward the monorail - much higher than the Polynesian - different feeling going on by at exact level so to speak. In my opinion. ;). Anyway regardless some will absolutely LOVE that room - others will complain for sure. It should be interesting.

I too agree - I truly believe that GFV will be VERY popular. The grounds there are beautiful.

Yes I have seen it from the monorail and from the ground. It is possibly some closer but I don't think enough to be a bother.

This is the Polynesian view I was talking about

polynesian_monorail-369x310.jpg

Yes I have seen it from the monorail and from the ground. It is possibly some closer but I don't think enough to be a bother.

This is the Polynesian view I was talking about

polynesian_monorail-369x310.jpg

Wow, I've never noticed Sammie - quite honestly. Thanks for the picture (zero sarcasm - smiling).

Wow, I've never noticed Sammie - quite honestly. Thanks for the picture (zero sarcasm - smiling).

I am sure they will plant some large palm trees and in a few years unless it dark and they have the blinds open, people will begin to not notice.

Can someone give me a slight overview of what DVC offers that makes it easier than booking a DVC room on Disney's website?

i wouldn't say it's easier. timesharing is very different than hotel stays.

here's the basics - DVC works best for people who:

1) go to disney at least every other year
2) prefer to stay onsite at deluxes (or at least moderates)
3) can plan their vacations 10 or 11 months in advance
4) intend to use DVC primarily for staying at a DVC resort at disney (rather than trading out for other timeshares or cruises, etc.)
5) need or prefer larger accommodations than a basic hotel room

OTOH, there are lots of good reasons to balk at buying DVC:

1) thousands of $ upfront plus annual fees require a certain level of financial ability and commitment (and you still need to pay for tickets and travel, etc.)
2) commitment to wdw/fear of wdw burnout (sorta - while you can trade out of the system, the best value is staying at the DVC resorts)
3) DVC not as deluxe as deluxe hotels in some senses (limited housekeeping, sofabeds, no room service at some DVC resorts)
4) financing a depreciating (sooner or later) luxury purchase is generally a poor idea
5) you are happy with value hotels/offsite
6) amenities like a kitchen and washer/dryer have no value for you
7) you don't/can't plan vacations 6+ months in advance
8) you enjoy hunting for deals/bargains for each trip

if youll be upset when other people can pay cash for a room and get a discount or get free dining thrown in, then DVC is not for you.

also be aware that if you think you might keep DVC for 6-8 years and then sell it down the road, it may have little to no value as DVC has begun cutting perks that transfer when you sell your contract. resale contracts no longer qualify to trade for cruises and wdw hotels like the poly...(but those trades tend to be a poor value anyway.)

remember that DVC is not a "membership" so much as a long-term real estate lease commitment with continuing costs. while you can stay in studios that are similar to hotel rooms (only OKW has 2 queen beds, though, and all the rest have 1 queen + 1 pullout sofabed), DVC is a better value if you want to spread out and get a 1BR villa or larger...

Also, if we buy into DVC this year and don't use our points, can we take those points and keep them for next spring (along with next year's points)?

points have what's called a "use year." my use year starts in october so my 2012 UY pts are valid for stays from oct 1, 2012 through sept 30, 2013.

i don't plan to use them during that period so i can "bank" them forward to my 2013 UY. now they are valid for stays from oct 1, 2013 through sept 30, 2014. if i don't use them for a stay before oct 1, 2014, they disappear into the void and become worthless.

but if i wanted to, i could use my 2012 pts for a stay in july 2014 - because that falls one UY away from my 2012 UY. i could not use my 2012 pts for a stay in nov 2014 because that is 2 UYs away and you cannot bank pts twice.

do you see what i mean about it not being easier...?

but this discussion is really beside the main point of this thread and should be taken to a thread of its own if you have more questions.

We stopped at DVC sales center at BW last week and CMs told us the preview rooms were still under construction at SSR and should be finished 'soon'. Also said that GFV was still on schedule to open by the 'end of the year'.

And for some perspective of the monorail room I remembered how close the monorail runs by some of the rooms at Grand Californian - found this youtube video someone took from their balcony - now that's close!! lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTCiWpVX3_s

Hoping to get a room at 7 months as soon as they start booking to check it out:thumbsup2

While I was planning on adding on at VGF, I don't think I am going to

In terms of a resort that is convenient to the MK, I think BLT is best. I can walk to the MK from BLT, but am limited to monorail and boat at VGF, both of which can get crowded. Many times I have seen the monorail pull into the GF with standing room, and it takes a while to get back from the MK on the monorail.

As for views, I can see the castle from my theme park view room at BLT, but won't be able to from VGF. Yes, there will be some nice lagoon view rooms at VGF, which will be nicer than the lake view rooms at BLT (maybe).

I can stay at BLT and take the monorail over to the GF to dine there, so I can't seem to come up with a compelling reason to buy there.

I have a lot of points at both BLT and BWV, which (to me) gives me a great MK resort and a great Epcot/DHS resort.

The DW and I spent 9 nights at the GF on our honeymoon, so it has a lot of sentimental value. However, thinking with my brain, I am less inclined to buy VGF than before.

DVC Mike wrote: "While I was planning on adding on at VGF, I don't think I am going to...

The DW and I spent 9 nights at the GF on our honeymoon, so it has a lot of sentimental value. However, thinking with my brain, I am less inclined to buy VGF than before."

Huh. Interesting analysis, DVC Mike. We too were automatically going to buy at the GFV because we have sentimental attachment to the GF. We didn't buy at BLT because I don't like the contemporary vibe. Of all the parks we like the MK the least (I know, it's heresy). Maybe we won't buy at the GF... :stir: my DH is gonna love this (I drive him crazy when I change my mind like this). :rolleyes1. OTOH, I do love the resort. It is so beautiful there!

I have to say, DVC is amazing. We own at SSR for the tranquility; BCV for SAB, the Boarwalk and proximity to EPCOT, and we use points to go to AKV for the animals. I really appreciate getting such entirely different vacations.:thumbsup2

So...

We currently do not own DVC (our stays at OKW and BWV were through Marriott, who split their partnership with Disney) and now I'm looking into joining once VGF comes available.

DVC is no easier or more difficult than making reservations on Disney's website - DVC ownership is a means to prepay for years of stays at DVC (and other) resorts. DVC reservations may be made online using the DVC Member website or by calling DVC Member Services.

DVC ownership allows members to bank points for one additional year (maximum of two years). With banking and borrowing, it is possible to use three years worth of points for a single reservation - and under specific circumstances even a 4th years points could be used for the same stay.

DVC has never had a partnership with Marriott, but the DVC World Passport Collection may be used to reserve rooms at other resorts worldwide and for owners at other resorts to exchange into DVC Resorts (currently using RCI and thru II a few years ago).

These are all very positive thoughts! I can't wait!!

I have a couple of questions and wondering if anyone has answers:

1. How big will the rooms be?
2. Will 1br rooms have 2 bathrooms like the 2 most recent DVCs ( BLT & Kidani)?
3. will there be any new restaurants?
4. How many rooms will there be?
5. When is it expected to open?

TIA!!

-FantasiaMagic princess:

I have a couple of questions and wondering if anyone has answers:

1. How big will the rooms be? No one knows
2. Will 1br rooms have 2 bathrooms like the 2 most recent DVCs ( BLT & Kidani)? Possibly, but no one knows for sure
3. will there be any new restaurants? Probably not
4. How many rooms will there be? Member website says estimated 147 Villas. No one has seen actual floor plans, so no one knows for sure.
5. When is it expected to open? From the 2012 Annual Condo Meeting, Fall 2013

TIA!!

-FantasiaMagic princess:
Answers in red

We stopped at DVC sales center at BW last week and CMs told us the preview rooms were still under construction at SSR and should be finished 'soon'. Also said that GFV was still on schedule to open by the 'end of the year'.

And for some perspective of the monorail room I remembered how close the monorail runs by some of the rooms at Grand Californian - found this youtube video someone took from their balcony - now that's close!! lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTCiWpVX3_s

Hoping to get a room at 7 months as soon as they start booking to check it out:thumbsup2

Open doesn't mean completed. The common areas will be finished but the rooms will be finished in sections that could take a year or more. This was done at BLT, AKV, and Kidani, Aulani still is having some work done. Disney wants to start selling as soon as they legally can and they will complete construction by floor or section as they declare units into the association. Early guests may have to put up with some construction noise.

:earsboy: Bill

Open doesn't mean completed. The common areas will be finished but the rooms will be finished in sections that could take a year or more. This was done at BLT, AKV, and Kidani, Aulani still is having some work done. Disney wants to start selling as soon as they legally can and they will complete construction by floor or section as they declare units into the association. Early guests may have to put up with some construction noise.

Did you read that somewhere, I have never gotten the impression that it would be opened before finished, just like BCV and VWL were. :confused3

Did you read that somewhere, I have never gotten the impression that it would be opened before finished, just like BCV and VWL were. :confused3
Unless they convert existing GF rooms and open it in sections like AKV. Given the layout I'm not expecting that approach and do expect it'll open all at once but this is not guaranteed.

I don't see any reason for Disney to pay out of pocket to open all of the building at once. The only reason for them not to complete the interiors in sections like they did with SSR, AKV, BLT, AKV and Aulani, is because the building is so small that it might be cheaper to just knock it out. Using money from sales to complete construction makes sense depending on the costs involved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter