• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Californian Super Thread

As it turned out, the line for Webslingers took longer than expected and I ended up having to work behind some hedges in an area near the Sonoma terrace with almost no ambient noise (except for the occasional trash bin rolling by)….until the green army men parade showed up at the very end of the call. 😬😬

We did make it to Grand Cal later that day and I just want to give a very enthusiastic thumbs up to the Wookiee cookie they are selling in the lobby.

As it turned out, the line for Webslingers took longer than expected and I ended up having to work behind some hedges in an area near the Sonoma terrace with almost no ambient noise (except for the occasional trash bin rolling by)….until the green army men parade showed up at the very end of the call. 😬😬

We did make it to Grand Cal later that day and I just want to give a very enthusiastic thumbs up to the Wookiee cookie they are selling in the lobby.
How did the people on your call react? Sounds like something that would happen to me. Well, it pretty much did at home once, with our local air base holding the annual airshow. Of course, the only times I had to speak were right when all the jets were going overhead. Everyone found it amusing at least 😂

How did the people on your call react? Sounds like something that would happen to me. Well, it pretty much did at home once, with our local air base holding the annual airshow. Of course, the only times I had to speak were right when all the jets were going overhead. Everyone found it amusing at least 😂
With aggressive use of the mute button and a sprint away from the parade, nobody commented on any background noise. 🤯

As they shouldn't. A microwave in a hotel room, to me, screams "budget lodging."
I just noticed a May 1, 2023 Yelp message saying that you can call guest services and ask for a microwave to be brought to the room: "Upon entering our room, (we had a courtyard view) it was clean and stocked. Normal hotel room, coffee maker, fridge, safe etc. NOTE: there is no microwave initially HOWEVER, if you call guest services they will send one to your room! Within 5 minutes of me asking they had to us! (I noticed some reviews here have one star for no microwave? ) all you have to do is ask people not that difficult to do!"

I just noticed a May 1, 2023 Yelp message saying that you can call guest services and ask for a microwave to be brought to the room: "Upon entering our room, (we had a courtyard view) it was clean and stocked. Normal hotel room, coffee maker, fridge, safe etc. NOTE: there is no microwave initially HOWEVER, if you call guest services they will send one to your room! Within 5 minutes of me asking they had to us! (I noticed some reviews here have one star for no microwave? ) all you have to do is ask people not that difficult to do!"

I knew they'd do this if you specified that you had/have 'medical needs'. I have Celiac and did it some years ago when gluten free was much harder to find and Disney, whilst accommodating, didn't offer such a wonderful variety of GF options as it does now. It was great for being able to 'nuke' safe GF meals. I haven't requested one since probably 2013 or so because their GF options have become so good.

I didn't know they'd do it 'just because'. I wonder if that reviewer either had or told them they had 'medical needs'.

Would you please explain how you ordered through Whole Foods Amazon. Did you order once you were at the Grand, or did you order before you left your home? What else did you do to get your order? Thank you
I ordered in the app once we were there. I changed the address to 1600 South Disneyland drive and put in the “notes” that we were at the grand hotel. I chose a delivery hour that I knew we would be at the hotel and hubby waited downstairs in the lobby for the delivery guy. Bell Services said they would have been happy to receive the order-however, we were fine this way. The delivery guy was young and had a little cart and asked DH if he could “deliver” up to the room because he had never been inside the hotel. He was thrilled to bring the groceries up and look around.

Arriving at DGC on Sunday and have a question about coffee makers. I have read some of the thread and searched, but didn't see much current/recent info. We have a "Standard View" reserved. What type of coffee maker is currently used and how much coffee, creamer and other "stuff" is provided each day? Is getting more a problem?

I am the only coffee drinker in the family and usually do 2 cups a day or less if leaving for breakfast. The quantity of coffee is usually OK for me, but hotels usually provide poor creamer/sugar supplies. I also like good, bold coffee that isn't over-roasted Starbucks. So...do I need to bring my own coffee and creamer to get me started in the morning? As a point of reference, at home I make mine from the Costco Pacific Bold K-Cups.

Thanks!

rob

Arriving at DGC on Sunday and have a question about coffee makers. I have read some of the thread and searched, but didn't see much current/recent info. We have a "Standard View" reserved. What type of coffee maker is currently used and how much coffee, creamer and other "stuff" is provided each day? Is getting more a problem?

I am the only coffee drinker in the family and usually do 2 cups a day or less if leaving for breakfast. The quantity of coffee is usually OK for me, but hotels usually provide poor creamer/sugar supplies. I also like good, bold coffee that isn't over-roasted Starbucks. So...do I need to bring my own coffee and creamer to get me started in the morning? As a point of reference, at home I make mine from the Costco Pacific Bold K-Cups.

Thanks!

rob
They are Keurig machines. If you like your k cups, bring some. The coffee provided is Joffreys and it's pretty bad.

They will give you 2 regular cups, 2 decaf, and 2 teas. If you run out of creamer and sugar packets, you can grab more at the counter service restaurant. They use the little cups of liquid half and half, from my recollection. If you don't bring your own coffee, track down a housekeeper on day one and ask for several extra coffee cups.

They are Keurig machines. If you like your k cups, bring some. The coffee provided is Joffreys and it's pretty bad.
Joffrey’s is the worst. One time it was so beyond strong and bitter, I gagged.

Is the coffee at Disneyland Park different in some locations? Or is it all Joffreys? The coffee at The Mint Julep is delicious.

I find that coffee made at any of the Anaheim hotels tastes really gross to me and I think it has to do partially with the kind of coffee and partly because of the water. I can't drink tap water at Disneyland so next trip I am going to try using bottled water for coffee and see if that improves the taste!

I find that coffee made at any of the Anaheim hotels tastes really gross to me and I think it has to do partially with the kind of coffee and partly because of the water. I can't drink tap water at Disneyland so next trip I am going to try using bottled water for coffee and see if that improves the taste!

It does not help. We used Smartwater. It was still gross.

It does not help. We used Smartwater. It was still gross.
We did the same with just your standard bottled water and it did not help. I am assuming it's likely due to the buildup in the coffee maker itself. Do they ever descale them? Likely not. I am a caffeine junkie though, so I still downed my gross coffee and promised myself a better cup in the parks later 😜

I'm going to preface this by saying that everyone has a different opinion as to how "great" coffee should taste.

I don't think you can make a good cup of coffee in the room with the keurig machine. I know that makes me sound like one "those," the self-proclaimed snooty coffee mavens, but the reality is that I can find a good cup of coffee in almost any location. I have not, so far, had much luck at DLR, whether it's in the room or in the parks with the exception of some of the fine dining locations and Starbucks. I am not saying SBs is the best ever, but it certainly beats Joffreys. Not sure why the fine dining places have better coffee, but guessing they may use different brewing techniques and coffees OR maybe they've just greased the way beforehand with some excellent liquor. There is also the cream...

If you're like me and want cream in your java, very important to taste is the type of cream they serve. If you're getting one (or more) of those little plastic cups with a peel-off lid, that's not cream. It tastes gross. Yeah, better than coffee-mate, but not real cream even though it says real cream. In the finer places, you get an actual little pitcher of half-and-half. Big, big difference. Real=yum. Plastic cup=tastes like barf.

So...to me, the type of coffee and the type of cream make a huge difference. Most of the fine dining places have good coffee, whether due to the water they use, the brewing technique, the coffee brand, the cream, or all of the above I don't know.

Edited to add: last trip, I mobile ordered coffee from SBs and got a cup of half-and-half to take back with me. It did improve the room keurig coffee quite a bit.

The Westin is not a good comparison. Look at the Awahnee Hotel in Yosemite, the Beverly Hills Hotel, most lobbies in Las Vegas. Many people go to these places just to soak up the ambiance.

Blue Bayou and Trader Sam’s do not have plenty of tables. Servers lose money by people not ordering food and just sitting at their tables, so also not comparable to a hotel lobby.

BTW, I’m not advocating for free rein in the Grand Californian lobby. There have been many times I’ve wanted to sit by the fire when staying there and haven’t been able to and it would be nice if those spaces were reserved for hotel guests, but that isn’t reasonable or feasible. It’s a hotel lobby located in the middle of the Disneyland Resort. It is what it is.

A few years back after paying to see the Smith Tower observation deck, we sat in their empty lobby and the DH snoozed on my shoulder while I charged my phone. When you've paid for something I don't see any issue using the space.

I might walk into a hotel and sit down to emergency charge my phone for my safety, but I wouldn't sit down to "soak up the ambiance." If you haven't purchased anything and it's not a health or safety issue, I think it's questionable to sit down.

In 2015 I don't think there was a gated door at the driveway of GCH, since we walked through the lobby when we stayed at PPH. So my guess is they had issues with non-GCH guests using the space and the GCH entrance and decided to crack down on it.

Last edited:
I'd totally forgotten this! I stayed at the Ramada Maingate back in the day and the water was awful. Just terrible. Totally undrinkable.

I usually drink smartwater at DL, but this last trip the water in Frontierland tasted fine to me, as did the water at GCH. It would be my guess the park and the resort hotels use a much better filter than the Harbor hotels do, and the leftover minerals impact the machines over time.

I'd totally forgotten this! I stayed at the Ramada Maingate back in the day and the water was awful. Just terrible.
I remember our first Disneyland trip with DS, we were staying at the DLH and I kept grabbing ice from the ice maker to leave overnight to defrost! For some reason the ice maker used water that once defrosted I could drink.

We now just get flats of water delivered and grab water from CS if we run out when we are in the parks.

For me, it doesn't make a difference. The coffee was that bad. I was at GCH in April. The coffee served at Storytellers was okay.

For me, it doesn't make a difference. The coffee was that bad. I was at GCH in April. The coffee served at Storytellers was okay.
Just curious--is it still possible to get a cup of coffee from Hearthstone bar in the morning (just off the lobby)? Maybe it would be better, but I'm guessing they don't do this now.

Just curious--is it still possible to get a cup of coffee from Hearthstone bar in the morning (just off the lobby)? Maybe it would be better, but I'm guessing they don't do this now.

No. It doesn't open until later in the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter