Grand Californian Super Thread

The rooms at the Grand don't have microwaves, correct? It's so weird to me to have a hotel without a microwave now adays...

I hear people say this a lot here, but I have NEVER had a hotel room with a microwave, unless it was an apartment style with a full kitchen or kitchenette.

No shade intended, but is this something that is more typically found in motel style lodging? Because I have never seen it as a standard amenity in any hotel I have stayed in, especially a resort one like the Grand Californian.

Yikes, you got lucky your food didn't spoil. Our "beverage cooler" that we had last summer at the Grand kept our drinks BARELY cooler than room temperature. We had to put our alcoholic beverages on ice in one of the sinks before drinking, after taking them out of the cooler. They do allegedly go down to 41, but once you open them, they very quickly go up to room temperature. We keep our home fridge at 35 degrees so this one felt very warm to me and I wouldn't put anything perishable in it. It's a real bummer Disney switched to these.
Yeah I mean, luckily we didn’t have any raw meat in there or sushi or anything. Although I’m not really concerned about carrot sticks or super processed cheese going bad. The eggs we ate that next morning 🤷‍♀️

I hear people say this a lot here, but I have NEVER had a hotel room with a microwave, unless it was an apartment style with a full kitchen or kitchenette.

No shade intended, but is this something that is more typically found in motel style lodging? Because I have never seen it as a standard amenity in any hotel I have stayed in, especially a resort one like the Grand Californian.
We have the same experience.

Maybe it's a regional thing? Most of the hotels we stay at closer to home in the Midwest (including big waterpark resorts) have fridge/microwave in the standard rooms... But I suppose thinking about it, Pop Century doesn't have a microwave either- just the extra microwaves in the food court...

It's nice for popcorn or reheating leftovers on vacation since there are always leftovers :P (though carrying leftovers around the parks doesn't work so great.)

Maybe it's a regional thing? Most of the hotels we stay at closer to home in the Midwest (including big waterpark resorts) have fridge/microwave in the standard rooms... But I suppose thinking about it, Pop Century doesn't have a microwave either- just the extra microwaves in the food court...

It's nice for popcorn or reheating leftovers on vacation since there are always leftovers :P (though carrying leftovers around the parks doesn't work so great.)

Disney resorts have never had them as a standard amenity, outside of DVC rooms.

I've been staying on property since there were only 3 MK resorts and have stayed at all levels over the years.

Yikes, you got lucky your food didn't spoil. Our "beverage cooler" that we had last summer at the Grand kept our drinks BARELY cooler than room temperature. We had to put our alcoholic beverages on ice in one of the sinks before drinking, after taking them out of the cooler. They do allegedly go down to 41, but once you open them, they very quickly go up to room temperature. We keep our home fridge at 35 degrees so this one felt very warm to me and I wouldn't put anything perishable in it. It's a real bummer Disney switched to these.

Yeah, we read ahead of time that ours would be a beverage cooler so we didn't buy some of the things we would normally buy when we stayed off site. I agree that ours didn't feel super cold either. We just used it for water.

On road trips and such we typically stay at chain places like Holiday Inn, Marriott, Comfort Inn, Fairfield, etc. Kind of mid-range type places. Well, a little above a Motel 6 or Super 8, I guess. Not mega cheap but obviously not super nice/expensive either. We almost always have a mini-fridge and microwave.

Off site at Disneyland, I think we've always had them as well - Anaheim Plaza (it has a different name now though), Desert Inn, and Park Vue. But those are all motel-style.

Just got back from a five night solo stay and was happy to see my room cleaner than my two trips last year. Also, very happy to see nightly turndown service is back! My biggest complaint was the Wi-Fi. I know people have said it can be bad but I’ve never had a bad experience with it until this trip. Kept dropping connection, low bars etc. I called down and was told that there were a lot of people in the hotel. I’ll also be sending an email and adding it to my survey. The amount they charge there’s no reason for them to not upgrade their systems. This trip I had to check in with work more so I just used my phone as a hotspot so I could connect my iPad.

Overall though it was a really good trip!

I'm NorCal and we have never had a microwave in any non-kitchenette hotel we've ever stayed at in California.

We're back from our first overnight at GCH and here's my general review:

Disappointment.

Backstory: We stayed at PPH in 2015 and enjoyed it.

Room: Meh. The Disney theming was subtle at best. The bathroom smelled like mildew, the fridge had no complimentary bottle of water. The basket for laundry and the multitude of towels were a great touch, but we paid $650 (with tax) and it's worth at max, $500 for a standard room. Our biggest plus was that they let us check in before 10am.

The proximity and special entrance to DCA were a treat, so we rode Grizzly River Run twice and headed back to dry off, but overall it felt just as much 'in the bubble' as PPH. If anything, it convinced us to take more DL day trips.

All in all, we'll likely try DLH next since Trader Sams is there and we can take the monorail in/out (we're not huge EE people). Having a tiki bar at the hotel is a higher selling point for the DH 🍹🦜🍹

We're back from our first overnight at GCH and here's my general review:

Disappointment.

Room: Meh. The Disney theming was subtle at best. The bathroom smelled like mildew, the fridge had no complimentary bottle of water. The basket for laundry and the multitude of towels were a great touch, but we paid $650 (with tax) and it's worth at max, $500 for a standard room. Our biggest plus was that they let us check in before 10am.

The proximity and special entrance to DCA were a treat, so we rode Grizzly River Run twice and headed back to dry off, but overall it felt just as much 'in the bubble' as PPH. If anything, it convinced us to take more DL day trips.

All in all, we'll likely try DLH next since Trader Sams is there and we can take the monorail in/out (we're not huge EE people). Having a tiki bar at the hotel is a higher selling point for the DH 🍹🦜🍹
Honestly, I can agree with most of what you report. However, there are a few things I want to add.

First, the price I pay is not really about the room. I'm paying for the location and hotel amenities. I love the dining options, hotel theming, and entertainment. The open spaces are gorgeous, and as you said, the proximity and special entrance is another huge plus. I love having so many services provided on site.

To be fair, most hotels in the area have some less than pleasant smells, including DLH and GCH. We once had to change rooms at DLH due to a very strong sewer gas smell and sink backing up. It happens. The mildew smell is, I believe, a fairly common thing that I often comes from the drains. I've experienced it at most of the hotels and motels I've stayed in in the area (and that's a lot). I am guessing it's related to weather, building age, and constantly high numbers of people using the system.

I will agree with you that the rooms themselves don't warrant the price you pay for them. If I only cared about the room, I'd stay across the street, but I like the whole package.

Honestly, I can agree with most of what you report. However, there are a few things I want to add.

First, the price I pay is not really about the room. I'm paying for the location and hotel amenities. I love the dining options, hotel theming, and entertainment. The open spaces are gorgeous, and as you said, the proximity and special entrance is another huge plus. I love having so many services provided on site.

To be fair, most hotels in the area have some less than pleasant smells, including DLH and GCH. We once had to change rooms at DLH due to a very strong sewer gas smell and sink backing up. It happens. The mildew smell is, I believe, a fairly common thing that I often comes from the drains. I've experienced it at most of the hotels and motels I've stayed in in the area (and that's a lot). I am guessing it's related to weather, building age, and constantly high numbers of people using the system.

I will agree with you that the rooms themselves don't warrant the price you pay for them. If I only cared about the room, I'd stay across the street, but I like the whole package.

We stay in Marriott brand hotels in Northern California all the time (Ambassador level) and have only gotten mildew smells in the bathroom a handful of times. It's very rare for us to find mildew, even in San Francisco where it's incredibly foggy.

We have found way more issues with the AC being maintained and clean in hotels we stay at and I wish they were reviewed like an elevator or food service and signed off on every 6 months.

We just returned from a two night staycation at the GCH, and I am completely blown away by the service we received. We live in South OC, and have keys. My sister and my nephew flew in, so she and I split a room with the kids. I booked a standard room for one night on a magic key discount back in January. We arrived at 7am, they promptly took our bags and we headed to DCA. I received a text saying our room was ready before 12. I was so surprised when we got to our room…. They’d upgraded us from a standard view to a courtyard/woods view on a high floor, so we had a lovely view of the monorail and the courtyard. I stopped by the desk because we really wanted to extend our stay by one night, and the hotel was showing booked online. Not only did they extend our stay, they gave us the discounted rate and kept us in the same room! I was so happy I almost cried. The next day was my birthday and we really wanted that extra night. Pixie 🧚 dust!!

My girls and I had a great time by the pool Wednesday and Thursday while my nephew napped. My only complaint is the cocktails are just not great. That was my only complaint back in December, and neither of the drinks I had last week were any good. They need to take classes from the bartenders at the DLH…. Those are some amazing cocktails! But not a big deal overall.
Oh- they even had an air pump for my Bob stroller tires. I couldn’t believe it! All of the CMs were helpful and friendly, and made us feel so special.

Sadly we are relocating back home to Texas soon, but I told my husband when we come back on vacation, we are saving our pennies so we can stay on property at either the GCH or the DLH. I’m super impressed with both resorts- we’ve been fortunate to stay at both recently.

Anyone reading who is on the fence… don’t hesitate to book on property. It’s worth the money.

Agreed on the microwaves - in the “nicer” hotels (The Georgian in Santa Monica, Disneyland hotels, etc), they don’t normally have microwaves. I think they do that so you’re more inclined to eat at the on property restaurants.

The chain hotels normally have them, though.

Hi All--we will have a just-turned-three year old who will need a nap pretty soon after we get to the GCH and probably before our rooms our ready. Any ideas on finding a quiet area? This will be in late July, so probably pretty crowded.
Thanks

We were there April 16-22 and it was absolutely fabulous! Mousekeeping came twice a day and early entry was wonderful. Five park days, two rest days that included Storytellers breakfast and Tenaya Stone Spa.
Our in room phone was broken and it did take them a couple days to get to, but we luckily didn’t need it until the end of week any way. We ordered room service breakfast our last day and it was wonderful, truly a special experience. We did order some groceries through Whole Foods Amazon early in the week.
We are a family of four, stayed in a standard room.
Happy to answer any questions.
Would you please explain how you ordered through Whole Foods Amazon. Did you order once you were at the Grand, or did you order before you left your home? What else did you do to get your order? Thank you

Hi All--we will have a just-turned-three year old who will need a nap pretty soon after we get to the GCH and probably before our rooms our ready. Any ideas on finding a quiet area? This will be in late July, so probably pretty crowded.
Thanks
The outdoor fireplace area has been less busy when we are there. Third floor has a nice area to relax too. The area I am talking about is over the entrance side of the hotel.

I totally get where you're coming from, although you'll likely get some flak on these boards for saying anything positive about the PPH. Frankly, pre-COVID, the PPH was our favorite of the three on-site hotels. We liked the theme, we liked the on-site amenities, and we found the cast far and away the friendliest.

Before you book yourself a room at the DLH in order to be close to Trader Sam's, I'll just remind you that you can go to Trader Sam's no matter which hotel you stay at (and stumbling back to one's room at the PPH or GCH is not that much harder than at the DLH). The drawbacks of the DLH (which again will get all kinds of pushback from some of the superfans here) far outweigh the benefits, at least to me.

I totally get where you're coming from, although you'll likely get some flak on these boards for saying anything positive about the PPH. Frankly, pre-COVID, the PPH was our favorite of the three on-site hotels. We liked the theme, we liked the on-site amenities, and we found the cast far and away the friendliest.

Before you book yourself a room at the DLH in order to be close to Trader Sam's, I'll just remind you that you can go to Trader Sam's no matter which hotel you stay at (and stumbling back to one's room at the PPH or GCH is not that much harder than at the DLH). The drawbacks of the DLH (which again will get all kinds of pushback from some of the superfans here) far outweigh the benefits, at least to me.
Curious what you consider the main drawbacks of DLH? Assuming not the distance since you like PPH?

We just returned from a two night staycation at the GCH, and I am completely blown away by the service we received. We live in South OC, and have keys. My sister and my nephew flew in, so she and I split a room with the kids. I booked a standard room for one night on a magic key discount back in January. We arrived at 7am, they promptly took our bags and we headed to DCA. I received a text saying our room was ready before 12. I was so surprised when we got to our room…. They’d upgraded us from a standard view to a courtyard/woods view on a high floor, so we had a lovely view of the monorail and the courtyard. I stopped by the desk because we really wanted to extend our stay by one night, and the hotel was showing booked online. Not only did they extend our stay, they gave us the discounted rate and kept us in the same room! I was so happy I almost cried. The next day was my birthday and we really wanted that extra night. Pixie 🧚 dust!!

My girls and I had a great time by the pool Wednesday and Thursday while my nephew napped. My only complaint is the cocktails are just not great. That was my only complaint back in December, and neither of the drinks I had last week were any good. They need to take classes from the bartenders at the DLH…. Those are some amazing cocktails! But not a big deal overall.
Oh- they even had an air pump for my Bob stroller tires. I couldn’t believe it! All of the CMs were helpful and friendly, and made us feel so special.

Sadly we are relocating back home to Texas soon, but I told my husband when we come back on vacation, we are saving our pennies so we can stay on property at either the GCH or the DLH. I’m super impressed with both resorts- we’ve been fortunate to stay at both recently.

Anyone reading who is on the fence… don’t hesitate to book on property. It’s worth the money.
Thanks for the report, I'm glad you had a great stay! I booked rooms there for late May and even though I'm excited to try it, a little part of me wonders if I'm crazy spending that much lol. So it's nice to hear you thought it was worth it :)

Love that you were able to check in early AND get your room for the next night!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter