• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Californian Super Thread

Staying at GCH two nights pre-Disney cruise this October. Booked an accessible standard room.
Just need to rent an ECV from an outside vendor for 2 nights for DH. View is not important as getting close to
an elevator with access to DTD. Any experience with outside ECV vendors?

HOPE that you had a GREAT TIME!:cheer2: How was the room condition at VGC?
It was a GREAT trip, almost perfect -- except DW stayed home (she hates the heat) and rain on Sunday cancelled all the nighttime shows (the 3 new shows are MUST SEE).

VGC opened in late 2009 (along with 200 new hotel rooms), and the sofas are the only feature in less than perfect condition. The sofa fabric is too grippy (is that a real word?) so the seams fail prematurely.
...The refurbishment that you refer to beginning Feb/March '16, what areas will this effect at GCH...pool?
I did not go into great detail with the tour guide, but the guest rooms are the focus of the refurbishment. The objective is to bring all the rooms back to "grand opening" condition.
My personal opinion (not confirmed by the guide) of likely changes:
  • Replace all furniture
  • Replace carpet
  • New wallpaper and paint
  • Renovate bathrooms
It will be interesting to see if the floorplan of the rooms are changed. The VGC Studios place the closet next to the sinks, which I find more convenient.

About the pools: A pool was added with the VGC expansion, and the other 2 pools have since been refurbished. It seems unlikely the pools will be significantly impacted.

...I booked a king bed with a Downtown Disney view, and it was supposed to have a walk in, handicapped shower. Due to some traffic mishaps, we didn't arrive at the hotel until really late, somewhere around midnight on Friday. At check in, the cast member told me the room I booked wasn't available...
This is very disappointing, since I was under the impression that rooms with ADA features were guaranteed (and not simply a request).

Thank you, Nonsuch, for all of your information! I still may spring for one night there for my birthday, especially if the pools will not be under refurb. To be honest, the reasons I would be staying there is for proximity to the parks and it such a beautiful hotel, BUT if I'm going to pay that much for it then I expect to spend a little more time relaxing in a room that does NOT have peeling wallpaper! I wonder if they will offer any good discounts while the refurb is happening.

It was a GREAT trip, almost perfect -- except DW stayed home (she hates the heat) and rain on Sunday cancelled all the nighttime shows (the 3 new shows are MUST SEE).

VGC opened in late 2009 (along with 200 new hotel rooms), and the sofas are the only feature in less than perfect condition. The sofa fabric is too grippy (is that a real word?) so the seams fail prematurely.

I did not go into great detail with the tour guide, but the guest rooms are the focus of the refurbishment. The objective is to bring all the rooms back to "grand opening" condition.
My personal opinion (not confirmed by the guide) of likely changes:
  • Replace all furniture
  • Replace carpet
  • New wallpaper and paint
  • Renovate bathrooms
It will be interesting to see if the floorplan of the rooms are changed. The VGC Studios place the closet next to the sinks, which I find more convenient.

About the pools: A pool was added with the VGC expansion, and the other 2 pools have since been refurbished. It seems unlikely the pools will be significantly impacted.
THANKS for your reply! Nice to hear that the pools probably won't be effected...I am sure once the refurb project is complete, it will be nice! :cheer2:Just living with inconvenience in the interim which is inevitable to beautify the resorts!:cool1:

Staying at GCH two nights pre-Disney cruise this October. Booked an accessible standard room.
Just need to rent an ECV from an outside vendor for 2 nights for DH. View is not important as getting close to
an elevator with access to DTD. Any experience with outside ECV vendors?
Deckert's is the one I hear the most. I think I rented from Deckert's once and Apple once. I have heard a few people had trouble with Apple, but I had no problem. Enjoy!!

We're staying at the Grand in September for the half marathon weekend, it's my brother and I (same last names, but I have Miss on me for reservation). Just wondering if I need to call and request 2 beds or do all standards automatically come that way? Our parents stayed their 7 years ago and got a king bed (they didn't want that but got stuck with it), so I want to make sure this doesn't happen to us. thanks!

We're staying at the Grand in September for the half marathon weekend, it's my brother and I (same last names, but I have Miss on me for reservation). Just wondering if I need to call and request 2 beds or do all standards automatically come that way? Our parents stayed their 7 years ago and got a king bed (they didn't want that but got stuck with it), so I want to make sure this doesn't happen to us. thanks!
I would call to let them know and make sure. Easier to request ahead of time than fix when you get there.

I would definitely call and add the request to your reservation and also double check at check-in. My DD17 and I were at the Disneyland Hotel for the Avenger's 1/2 Marathon Weekend and they did give us a room with a king. I love my DD but not enough to share a bed after races and park time for 5 nights, lol. They were very accommodating at changing our room, but it was a hassle to change rooms since we already had our delivered groceries brought to our room and had to make several trips between the two of us to move it all. I'll always ask from now on. :)

I very much appreciate all the information in this thread, it has been very helpful.

However, there is one thing that I could not find an answer to: Does the gym have a locker room? Does anyone know?

We're looking at booking GCH for mid December. Is there much difference in the Standard Room View versus the Courtyard/Woodlands, or Partial View Rooms?

...Does the gym have a locker room?
The fitness center does not have lockers or showers. Open 24 hours for hotel guests, a room key is needed to open the door. The fitness center was recently relocated adjacent to Pinocchio's Workshop (daycare), the space was a small arcade. In addition to the treadmills and bikes shown in the photo, there are 4 different weight machines and a few free weights.

gch_fitness.jpg

The fitness center does not have lockers or showers. Open 24 hours for hotel guests, a room key is needed to open the door. The fitness center was recently relocated adjacent to Pinocchio's Workshop (daycare), the space was a small arcade. In addition to the treadmills and bikes shown in the photo, there are 4 different weight machines and a few free weights.

View attachment 112865

Thanks! This looks really small for a fairly large hotel. But the treadmills look pretty decent and I guess I will make use of those as I am not so sure about running on the streets of Anaheim...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter