Grand Californian-is it possible to get a reservation

It's a points hog, but we booked at 7 months over Easter break as well. Right at 7 mo there can be some movement even during the day, so we were able to get a 1br first, and then a studio opened up. THEN my family wanted to go to Aulani over that time, so (cringe) I gave up VGC and did the same game with AUL (studios all gone, we are in a 1BR OV at 62 points a night) :scared1:
You have a lot of patience @kboo!

@bgda24 , Last night I spotted 3 nights at the Grand Cal for a weekend (Fri/Sat/Sun nights) in late April, 1BR Accessible unit. I was happily surprised to find this as I was trying to unload an Easter reservation and was successful in rebooking into this late April opening. I thought you might be a tiny bit encouraged to know that a 3-night stay popped up at short notice.

It is very hard to book at 7 months, but I managed to do this for the upcoming July for three nights at studios when it costs the most points (Friday and Saturday). I booked for each night separately when exactly the 7 months window opened in the morning and someone dropped one night surprisingly (I guess they are walking the reservation), so I got three nights in total. My days are flexible, so I started looking at booking for any night in late June using the same method, but I didn’t have any luck until the points per night jumped in July.

It’s difficult but possible. Summer tends to be easier than the holidays. 1BR/2BR villas are much more likely compared to studios. We book at VGC as non-owners in 2BRs usually for a week at a time, but sometimes we have to be somewhat flexible (like start our stay on Monday instead of Sunday if I couldn’t get Sunday). This works for us in the summer, but I’m now seriously considering buying a VGC contract for holiday stays that are harder to book where timing is less flexible.

You are making me feel super lucky. We have 2 studio nights reserved for the end of July. I have never been to Disneyland so I am super excited. From there we fly to Aulani for 4 nights, then back to ATL.

We were able to book at 7 months for our recent trip a couple weeks ago. We purposely targeted a 1 bedroom and weekdays to increase our chances. Ended up having to waitlist one day when we switched our plans a bit but it came through.

We had a lovely stay there!

Always possible,,,we did snag 7 nights in studio,,,but at the end of Aug 2017. I think last 2 weeks Cali schools go back, so might have been easier then.
Never say Never

We are looking to visit Sept 29-Oct 4 of 2024. Was considering renting our points and using the cash to rent from a GCV owner and book a studio. However, if we could book a 1 br at the 7 month mark, we could attempt to do it ourselves. Worried to take the chance and we don't get it. Thoughts?

We are looking to visit Sept 29-Oct 4 of 2024. Was considering renting our points and using the cash to rent from a GCV owner and book a studio. However, if we could book a 1 br at the 7 month mark, we could attempt to do it ourselves. Worried to take the chance and we don't get it. Thoughts?

Are your dates flexible at all? Or it must occur during that time period? I suppose you could start "walking" it a few weeks before, if you see an opening with the caveat that an owner could jump ahead of you in line...

Ours was not a must...but if yours is..I would rent. For the small difference between what your rent for and what your rental gets...not worth the risk.

Are your dates flexible at all? Or it must occur during that time period? I suppose you could start "walking" it a few weeks before, if you see an opening with the caveat that an owner could jump ahead of you in line...
Dates could be flexible, but not by more than a week. That’s my worry, that even if I walk it-it’ll be for naught and we will be without a room.
Ours was not a must...but if yours is..I would rent. For the small difference between what your rent for and what your rental gets...not worth the risk.
I think that seems like the safest bet. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter