• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gran Destino v Riviera Resort

got15

DIS Veteran
Going for a quick weekend add on after a 5 day GFC SL stay to check out AK and HS after the extended family portion of our trip leaves (and trying to do not do too much Disney math here...) We have 2 boys (6&9) and am debating spending an additional $500 to upgrade to a deluxe studio @ the new Riviera resort for pool/transport proximity or just enjoy an amazing rate that we have at Gran Destino.. we have never stayed at either..any thoughts most recommended.

If you're upgrading do it for the location and transport options which are far superior at Riviera. If you don't care it takes extra time to get somewhere on the bus, stick with GD.

Going for a quick weekend add on after a 5 day GFC SL stay to check out AK and HS after the extended family portion of our trip leaves (and trying to do not do too much Disney math here...) We have 2 boys (6&9) and am debating spending an additional $500 to upgrade to a deluxe studio @ the new Riviera resort for pool/transport proximity or just enjoy an amazing rate that we have at Gran Destino.. we have never stayed at either..any thoughts most recommended.
Another thing to consider. After leaving a room with club level it will be nice to have mobile ordering available right in the hotel at RR.

I did GDT cl twice last year and this week I arrive at RR. I have a 1 br tho with the Disney visa discount. I think I’ll enjoy the Dunkin coffee I’m bringing from home while in bed with my pjs . I can order breakfast and fetch if needed before parks.

We will buy our own adult beverages and enjoy WHEN we want in the room.

I also am looking forward to buying a fun cupcake, I don’t usually do that with cl. So many fun ones this week with valentines!

We really enjoyed our RIV stay and, yes, DHS will be convenient with the Skyliner, but I didn't think the pool there was that great and you will have to take a bus or alternate transportation to AK from either resort. Personally, I would save the $500 and perhaps use the money on some Minnie Vans to make your park transportation a little easier from CSR.

I'd do Riviera of the 2 choices. Gran Destino looks very cool, but is only a mod, isn't close to the pool, and is at a huge resort with too many bus stops for my liking. Riviera is beautiful, deluxe, and in a good location.

I never can compare stays from regular resort to DVC.
They are just too different in my opinion, even when in the same building like at WL/CC.
I prefer regular resort 10 times out of 10. DVC is not my "thang" though I can't put my finger on precisely why that is. The stays feel different to me. The service feels different to me. The resorts and rooms REALLY feel different to me.

I never can compare stays from regular resort to DVC.
They are just too different in my opinion, even when in the same building like at WL/CC.
I prefer regular resort 10 times out of 10. DVC is not my "thang" though I can't put my finger on precisely why that is. The stays feel different to me. The service feels different to me. The resorts and rooms REALLY feel different to me.

Well there is no service unless you count the inspection/trash removal. :)

This is really funny as I watched a video on Grand Destino the other day, and could not help but think how superior it looks to Riviera- Much nicer looking building, fabulous lobby, great bar in lobby etc- of course the grounds are excellent. Aside from it being bus service only the Grand Destino looks like the 'Deluxe' to me and the Riviera the 'Moderate'. I think they blew it out of the park with the Grand Destino tower as a moderate. At $500 it is no contest for me. And I own DVC, and have visted Riviera, and was not impressed. It speaks volumes when I am saying book Destino over Riviera and most other DVC resorts would be 'no contest' the other way. Riviera rooms are wonderful though, I will give it that.

I'd do Riviera of the 2 choices. Gran Destino looks very cool, but is only a mod, isn't close to the pool, and is at a huge resort with too many bus stops for my liking. Riviera is beautiful, deluxe, and in a good location.

Outside of location (which CSR is actually pretty good as far as being centrally located) - why would you consider Riviera a deluxe over Gran Destino Tower? Just curious. I read it's only a few minute walk to pool.

I know technically CSR is a moderate resort, but everything I read about Gran Destino seems to point to deluxe. :)

I just stopped at both resorts while I was there. Lobby wise, Gran Destino blows Rivera away. Coronado springs has a great pool and it is just a walk over the bridge to get to it. I wouldn't pay extra to stay at Rivera when they both are very similar. Skip the increased cost and use an uber every single time you go to a park and you'd still save money sticking with Gran Destino.

Well there is no service unless you count the inspection/trash removal. :)
If you pay cash to Disney for DVC you get service exactly like you do if you are in a regular resort room.
This is the only way I've done DVC so far, never point rental, always cash reservation with Disney.

If you pay cash to Disney for DVC you get service exactly like you do if you are in a regular resort room.
This is the only way I've done DVC so far, never point rental, always cash reservation with Disney.

Oh yeah wasnt thinking about cash rentals. You feel like service is lesser then regular rooms when paying cash?

Oh yeah wasnt thinking about cash rentals. You feel like service is lesser then regular rooms when paying cash?
Room servicing itself? No. There's no different in the quality of the housekeeping.
A made bed, a vacuumed floor and replenished supplies are a made bed, a vacuumed floor and replenished supplies no matter what the room is.
I was just talking about "service" as an entire umbrella covering everything.
And as mentioned, I can't pin point a single item that is inferior in any way. It's just my feelings
DVC isn't lacking a thing, I just don't enjoy it the same.

Room servicing itself? No. There's no different in the quality of the housekeeping.
A made bed, a vacuumed floor and replenished supplies are a made bed, a vacuumed floor and replenished supplies no matter what the room is.
And as mentioned, I can't pin point a single item that is inferior in any way. It's just my feelings

Yeah I guess by design it has less "service".

Outside of location (which CSR is actually pretty good as far as being centrally located) - why would you consider Riviera a deluxe over Gran Destino Tower? Just curious. I read it's only a few minute walk to pool.

I know technically CSR is a moderate resort, but everything I read about Gran Destino seems to point to deluxe. :)
Well they're actually categorized that way so that's why? I don't "consider" it a mod, it is. GDT looks cool, I said that in my comment, but I wouldn't stay there due to all the bus stops and pool location. Toledo's menu doesn't interest me. It's a great deal for what it is but not my cup of tea. 🤷‍♀️

Riviera is elegant, has 2 pools, it's own bus service and a Skyliner stop. I wouldn't stay in a regular studio there but I would the Deluxe Studio. And the food options interest me more.

Well they're actually categorized that way so that's why? I don't "consider" it a mod, it is. GDT looks cool, I said that in my comment, but I wouldn't stay there due to all the bus stops and pool location. Toledo's menu doesn't interest me. It's a great deal for what it is but not my cup of tea. 🤷‍♀️

Riviera is elegant, has 2 pools, it's own bus service and a Skyliner stop. I wouldn't stay in a regular studio there but I would the Deluxe Studio. And the food options interest me more.

Okay. I thought maybe you had different reasoning than the actual categories. Sorry. 😐

I haven't been to the tower yet at CS but have visited Riv. (ate at Topolinos) and I'd stay at CS. It's my favorite moderate resort, although even before the tower was built other than the outside hallways, it didn't feel like a moderate to me. Because my son has an issue with heights and being closed in, we would never do the skyliner so Riv. has no advantage to us. We love the main pool at CS and love the little leisure pools located at each village. I know people say it's too big but frankly, I get up every morning and walk around the entire resort and it takes me two laps just to get close to a half hour so it's not really that big. There are some great little hidden quiet areas around the resort as well. I'm a huge fan of Spanish food and Spanish wine so another big win for me.

Another thing to consider. After leaving a room with club level it will be nice to have mobile ordering available right in the hotel at RR.

This sounds worth it... I am having a hard time finding another CL for that weekend at a decent rate

I am nervous about this.. I LOVE staying cl and the service that comes with it.. great service takes a wonderful vacation over the top..we have never been into DVC but love the amenities that come with a Deluxe or Lux Resort. I am hoping that potentially a switch to Riviera may offset CSR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter