Grad Trip for an Aussie High School student

Oz Katie

Earning My Ears
Back in 2015, my spouse, BFF and almost 9yo child went on a big trip to the USA. We went to Charleston, WDW, Universal Florida, Boston, and NYC.
While we were at WDW, I saw my kid's love of rides and said "If you don't want to go to Schoolies* at the end of grade 12, we'll have a girls trip to WDW".

Well, my Teen is now in Grade 12, turning 18 in a few months and graduating in mid-November, and the next day we have flights booked to LA! Internal domestic flights yet to be booked as we firm up our plans and itinerary.

We intend to arrive into MCO on Sun 17 Nov, having two park days, then a rest day, and two more park days, and leaving for the next stage of our trip on the Sat 23 or Sun 24th. I'm pretty sure WDW will start to get (extra) busy that weekend, being the weekend before Thanksgiving.

Our experience in 2015 was four straight park days, with a small amount of park hopping. This time we want to break it up a bit, as we know we'll need some downtime.
Back then, we did a bit of character dining (Ohana brekky, Crystal Palace dinner and a dinner at Epcot at the rotating restaurant). This time, my Teen isn't interested in character dining; she's also gluten-free (not a coeliac though) - I've read great things about GF food at WDW.
My Teen also has sensory issues, so crowds and noises are sometimes overwhelming, but she can manage queues, etc. It just might mean she hits a wall when we get back to our room, which is why we're planning a mid-week relaxation day.

My Teen loves Belle.

I'm not sure where we'll stay yet, hoping to stay on property in the Disney bubble and we prefer to have 2 beds.

I guess I don't have any questions at the moment, but would love any thoughts on resorts to stay at. We can budget a more than Pop or similar hotels - though my Teen would love that level of theming! But we're not at Polynesian bungalow level if you know what I mean. :P

* Schoolies is kind of like Spring Break, but in Australia, usually only grade 12 students go to Schoolies.

Not sure if I understand which resorts you would be looking at -if you mean you were leaning toward the moderate resorts, then I would suggest Port Orleans French Quarters. It is the smallest Disney moderate resort, which might be great for you daughter, due to the sensory issues. I also believe it is getting a rehab this spring/summer.

Highly recommend the Princess rooms at Port Orleans!

Also, if she's a Belle fan, be sure to get a lunch or dinner reservation at Be Our Guest in Magic Kingdom!

What an exciting trip :)

look into these options:
  • Princess rooms at riverside (POR) - also has boat access to Disney Springs for rest day
  • Little mermaid rooms at AoA
  • Mermaid rooms at Caribbean (CBR) - has skyliner to HS and Epcot
  • Room at AKL - you can see giraffes from windows
At the time you are going, there is likely to be a sale on rooms (most likely advertised in June but keep an eye out in May as things change)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter