• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Got my free ticket for volunteering!!!!

Kudos to Disney for this promotion.

I wish there was a sticky or an entire category on the subject of Give a Day.

I looked both on January 1st and 2nd for an opportunity for my family. There were only a few listed and all were general (where you send an email to the organization).

I checked the website a week later and there were several more opportunities with specific sign ups listed.

Our volunteer dates is Valentine's Day. We are set to help the local Boy Scouts organize and deliver food to area food banks.

Remember, opportunities for the next 60 days are posted, so it's worth it to check everyday for new openings.

After the problems getting through to the website, I signed up to play games with residents of an assisted living facility. I got a confirming message telling me that I would hear from the facility within a week to schedule times, but a week has gone by and I haven't heard anything yet. It looks like the tickets will be gone before I get to do anything.

:thumbsup2 Contact the facility!!!!!!!

Like previously mentioned, there is a contact name, phone number and email address in the email from HandsOn. Like another post, I didn't wait for them to contact me. I shot an email to the volunteer contact person as soon as I received that email. She emailed me the information the same day and we were officially on her list the next day. Slots for most everything are filling-up quickly. When Disney reaches 1 million vouchers/volunteers, the promo is done.

FYI - The vouchers can be redeemed until December 15, 2010.

:goodvibes Jennifer

can someone post how the linus program works, what you have to do?

Project Linus Website link HERE.

From the Project Linus website:
Project Linus welcomes blankets of all styles, including quilts, tied comforters, fleece blankets, crocheted or knitted afghans, and receiving blankets in child-friendly colors. Blankets must be new, handmade and washable. You don’t have to be an expert to create a blanket that is beautiful to a child!

For the Give a Day. Get a Disney Day. volunteer program people are either making the blankets at home (2 per volunteer) and delivering them on a designated date or getting together with other volunteers and making the blankets at a location. There are chapters all over the country. Most near us are already full to capacity with volunteers. This has been a VERY popular volunteer opportunity for people.

:goodvibes Jennifer

I'm finally signed up!!! I had some issues getting signed up due to the website, but it finally worked!

My family and I will be sorting food and packing backpacks for the Second Harvest Food Bank in Nashville.

I plan on using our vouchers to upgrade to a 10-day Park Hopper with No Expire and WPM. We're going in October. Can't wait!!!

:

I am also doing the Linus project. Our local office said I could mail them or deliver them to them since they are about 1 hour away. What do you mean that the project manager emailed the handsonnetwork confirming the completion of the project and then she stated website wouldn't allow her to do that? Has everything been confirmed for you yet? Thanks for your help!!

Were the blankets easy to make? I have 3 children and it was the only thing I could find that would allow my 7 year old to do. I think this is a great project. :flower3:

We did the blankets last week. it was easy to do, but pretty time consuming for 5 people....
1 night to buy the fabric and wash it,
1 night to make sure all of the fabric is squared properly (VERY important if you want to make things easy on yourself once you start marking and cutting)...this actually took only about 2 hours for the 10 blankets, but it is a "night" for me after the kids were in bed.
2 afterschool/evenings with the family to work on these, and this doesn't include the time i took during the day to measure and cut many of the strips.

As the kids were suppose to do their own blankets, I spent much more time with them than I really needed to, as I let them measure some and practice cutting a bit with the rotary cutter (a new tool for us).

it was a FABULOUS experience for our family. the kids really got into this "hands on" project that was so fun for them to do (at least the first night...by the second night, they were a bit less enthusiastic about it, I must admit!). It gave us a chance to talk about community service and discuss the possibility of doing a family service project more often. We do "community service", but that generally consists of food drives, donating to goodwill, red cross drop-offs, talking about the importance of donating money, etc. The kids want to continue to make blankets for project Linus, once they each make their own blankets! I'd like to think that this is EXACTLY what HandsOn Network and Disney had hoped would happen with this newest incentive. (well, that, and that we'd use these "free" tickets and take atrip that we didn't plan on taking just to use them...which is what we are doing!)

here are a few things i learned from making our no-sew fleece blankets (directions from the Project Linus website):

1.) USE a ROTARY CUTTER...priceless!
2.) have a big space available to cut. it was much easier to lay out the fabric and cut it all at once, rather than using, say, half of the kitchen table and having to move and readjust the fabric repeatedly. i have a craft table that we put a piece of luan (sp?) wood over to use the rotary cutter on while i was trimming the edges of the blankets. i used a small cutting mat for cutting the fringe. this made things easy as it has the measurements on the mat. I pre-measured 2 inches up from the edge of the fabric and marked that with pins all the way across, then put the cutting mat under and used the mat's measurements to cut a slit every one inch, up to the pin...went pretty quick once I got a system.
3.) make sure your blankets edges are square (or your corners are perpendicular, or however you want to describe this) before you start cutting. if you don't have an easy way to do this at home, ask them at the fabric store if they can square up the edges for you.
4.) don't plan on this being a cheap project...even with fleece being 30% off (and 3 of our blankets used fleece from the clearance section), we spent $70.

Have fun!

We just finished our blankets tonight, and as the PP said, rotary cutters are the GREATEST thing since slice bread! I had a plastic cutting mat that was marked in 1 inch squares. Once you get things figured out, it goes very quickly. As the PP also said, it is not cheap. We spent almost $80 for material for 4 blankets, but it was cheaper/more time efficient than traveling the 200 miles RT to our nearest doable project. There just are not many activities for kids. NONE in our area. This was the only one we could do, but it was also the only project in our travel area that made "learning" sense for our kids. DD wants to keep making blankets and donating them to our local hospital. We get to mail the blankets out on Monday. Yeah!

We are doing Project Linus too. I have a question about the black out dates. It says the tickets will not be given out during those dates. What about the other things (fastpass or pins)?

We just finished our blankets tonight, and as the PP said, rotary cutters are the GREATEST thing since slice bread! I had a plastic cutting mat that was marked in 1 inch squares. Once you get things figured out, it goes very quickly. As the PP also said, it is not cheap. We spent almost $80 for material for 4 blankets, but it was cheaper/more time efficient than traveling the 200 miles RT to our nearest doable project. There just are not many activities for kids. NONE in our area. This was the only one we could do, but it was also the only project in our travel area that made "learning" sense for our kids. DD wants to keep making blankets and donating them to our local hospital. We get to mail the blankets out on Monday. Yeah!

Did you have to do one each or two? Our PL group wantes two each. I have to do them by Feb. 14 so I need to get started. I am with you...it will be cheaper than driving the 140 miles to the nearest project. Plus it's something we can do at home and not have to get a sitter for.

I have a question about signing up DH. I have the account for handson but I was allowed to add his name. He doesn't need his own email, right? Just to be listed on mine?

Did you have to do one each or two? Our PL group wantes two each. I have to do them by Feb. 14 so I need to get started. I am with you...it will be cheaper than driving the 140 miles to the nearest project. Plus it's something we can do at home and not have to get a sitter for.

I have a question about signing up DH. I have the account for handson but I was allowed to add his name. He doesn't need his own email, right? Just to be listed on mine?

That's what I understand. You are the "lead volunteer" and the vouchers for all will get emailed to you. I signed up for myself and my husband and both vouchers were sent to my email address.

The vouchers came in my email this am. It took about 5 days.

1/6 delivered blankets
1/7 Linus project manager emailed handsonnetwork project complete
1/11 Received email to print vouchers

Good Luck to all.

Disney here we come.
:yay:

Port Orleans 1/17/10-1/24/10

The project linus near me requires 6 blankets. is that 6 total or 6 per person? i only have me and my son going to wdw.

if i drop off the blankets 3 weeks before my vacation, will that be enough time to receive the certificate to be mailed to me?

if i drop off the blankets 3 weeks before my vacation, will that be enough time to receive the certificate to be mailed to me?

The certificate is not mailed to you - it's emailed. It should be enough time. I would make sure you are in contact with the organization's coordinator and confirm that they will be contacting Hands On soon after you turn in your blankets.

We are doing Project Linus, also. Bought the material last night, did one last night and one this morning---so just one more to go. I signed up my dh, dd 6 and myself. I plan on dropping these off tomorrow and am hoping to get everything squared away before we leave for our Land/Sea trip on 2/6.

I have ZERO craftiness and these are so easy and turned out really cute.

I am so glad to help out and see so many DIS'ers get to help also.:lovestruc

We are doing Project Linus, also. Bought the material last night, did one last night and one this morning---so just one more to go. I signed up my dh, dd 6 and myself. I plan on dropping these off tomorrow and am hoping to get everything squared away before we leave for our Land/Sea trip on 2/6.

I have ZERO craftiness and these are so easy and turned out really cute.

I am so glad to help out and see so many DIS'ers get to help also.:lovestruc

how many per person do you have to do?

how many per person do you have to do?

I'm not the person you asked, but I was looking into it in my area (I ended up choosing a different volunteer opportunity) and the description for the one near me asked for one knitted/crocheted/sewn blanket or quilt per volunteer, or two no-tie fleece blankets per volunteer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter