• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GoPro "Handle"

pschro1

Mouseketeer
My boys are getting a GoPro for Christmas so we can bring it on our Cruise/Parks trips next year. Has Disney given anyone problems if they use the GoPro "Shorty" Mini Tripod? I don't really want to have to deal with wrist straps/chest straps, so I am looking for some kind of mount that they can just hold.

I could be mistaken but I think they’re technically banned, they almost definitely fall under the category of selfie sticks/camera extensions. That said, it’s pretty short so maybe they’d allow it or just not notice.

My boys are getting a GoPro for Christmas so we can bring it on our Cruise/Parks trips next year. Has Disney given anyone problems if they use the GoPro "Shorty" Mini Tripod? I don't really want to have to deal with wrist straps/chest straps, so I am looking for some kind of mount that they can just hold.
I'm not sure how they classify the ban but I do know that they instituted it because way to many people were dropping them and on some of the rides that could be endangering other people as well as hurting the people that were using them. I wouldn't take the chance because it could ruin your whole trip if they confiscate it. Hand held extensions are the same as selfie sticks and can still be a hazard to others.

Last edited:
Granted I was in the parks last Dec 2021 and then June 2022…but FWIW at those times, had the Shorty tripod and what I call the “Floaty” (it has another name that’s escaping me), and no one ever said anything to me about putting away either one. However, I deliberately held the camera close to me with grip visible to the CMs, so perhaps they trusted me? Only in ‘21 I was told on Space Mtn please just keep the camera no higher than my chest, but any camera may be a no go there now—I can’t remember if chest mounts are still ok or if no cams at all for SM. I used the Floaty most of the time as it has a loop you can tighten around your wrist, and the foamy material provided for a nice grip. The Floaty doesn’t extend like a selfie stick does so it may be ok.

I’ll be headed back in two weeks with a Chesty and the Floaty and will comply with whatever I’m told. I’m not thrilled about the idea of chest straps either but figured I’d rather have something that should pass muster to my avail.

Here is a link to the park rules:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/

and the pertinent entries are below:

• Selfie sticks, hand-held extension poles for cameras or mobile devices, flags and banners are not allowed in any theme park or water park.
  • Tripods or monopod stands that cannot fit inside a standard backpack or that extend over 6’ (182 cm) are not allowed in theme parks, water parks, Disney Springs, or ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.

The shorty only extends to 8.9 inches, so way under the 6' limit, so I would think it is perfectly fine but it might depend on exactly who is at the entry that day. I'd have the rules with you and be prepared to politely question why the shorty is banned based on the rules and specs if you are stopped.

They are basically a selfie stick so the answer would be no.

The rules about tripods or monopod stands would mean that they're actually stands that stand on the ground, so they couldn't be longer than 6' I don't believe that would include a GoPro shorty mini tripod unless you're actually using it as a stand on the ground or a table.

A GoPro mini tripod would have to be acceptable as long as it's pretty small (something that doesn't extend more than a few inches or so). First, because I've used just such a thing in the parks and never been questioned about it. Second, because I've seen vloggers like the Tim Tracker use them to film themselves eating and reviewing food al the time. I'd say be more cautious if your intention is to film rides. Make sure that it has some way to secure it to your body like a wrist strap. While it's not a tripod, I've used this before:
OPHS.jpg

The above is more or less my handheld rig. Have been here for 10 days, no issues at all using it on slower rides with the GoPro camera itself held around shoulder high and close to the body, and straps around our wrists. Chest mounts have been fine everywhere and we have received compliments/curiosities from guests and cast members on Tron for using this.

PS—GoPro superview on Tron is awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter