Goodbye 'Ohana

Actually 'family style' does mean it is all served at once - just like most families dine at home - don't know anyone that brings out one course at at a time at home (unless formal, and that's not family style). Except for desserts, all dishes are placed at the table, then everyone serves themselves as they'd like.

'Ohana is the only place that we now dine that serves the meals like that. There is a very popular place in the NC mountains that does the same, but the appeal there is not the same for us.

'Ohana actually is a mixture of family style and like a favorite of ours - a Brazilian Steakhouse - with the meats served on skewers.

Again, we love it, and have never felt rushed at all. But, for those that feel that way - it's to each their own, no problems.
We can't all enjoy the same places.

This is incorrect. At Liberty Tree and Whispering Canyon, they course out the platters. Out of Disney, same for Maggianos and many other family style places.

And us 35 year olds are just confused. It’s crazy to me how often I feel “caught” between 2 generations.

I'm not quite 35. But I feel your pain.

The food was served at a decent pace for breakfast. But I felt like I was taking up real estate or something at times. (For the record, I don't like inhaling food. If I wanted a quick dining experience, I'd do QUICK service. If I'm being waited on, I'M TAKING MY TIME!...unless my kid is about to melt down, then it's "check please")

I'm going to go sit on my imaginary porch and yell at the imaginary young'uns to get off my lawn.

This is incorrect. At Liberty Tree and Whispering Canyon, they course out the platters. Out of Disney, same for Maggianos and many other family style places.

The restaurants you mentioned are not advertised as the same, although when dining at LTT our food was all brought at once, WCC brought out the family platter - nothing else included, unless ordered separately.

Anyway, doesn't really matter to me if you have your own definition of 'family style' - we've been to several in different states and they were all served by the definition of family style like you would dine at home. Served in courses is not same.

The restaurants you mentioned are not advertised as the same, although when dining at LTT our food was all brought at once, WCC brought out the family platter - nothing else included, unless ordered separately.

Anyway, doesn't really matter to me if you have your own definition of 'family style' - we've been to several in different states and they were all served by the definition of family style like you would dine at home. Served in courses is not same.

At LTT and WC, they bring the salad out first. If they didn't for you, then they had a major service failure.

I felt rushed on our last visit but it wasn't about the food coming out too fast. They could dump everything all at once and I would have been ok if the server was attentive, which was not the case. He was trying to rush things along so quickly that he didn't stop for more than 3 seconds. He was offering dessert before all of our food was served. Kids never got drink refills and my wife and I never got a chance to ask for a second cocktail. It's really obvious that the #1 goal is to turn tables quickly.

Actually 'family style' does mean it is all served at once - just like most families dine at home - don't know anyone that brings out one course at at a time at home (unless formal, and that's not family style). Except for desserts, all dishes are placed at the table, then everyone serves themselves as they'd like.

'Ohana is the only place that we now dine that serves the meals like that. There is a very popular place in the NC mountains that does the same, but the appeal there is not the same for us.

'Ohana actually is a mixture of family style and like a favorite of ours - a Brazilian Steakhouse - with the meats served on skewers.

Again, we love it, and have never felt rushed at all. But, for those that feel that way - it's to each their own, no problems.
We can't all enjoy the same places.
I happened to eat at Daniel Boone Inn week before last. We were first served salads. Those were cleared, then we were served ham biscuits. After everyone but I had finished at least one ham biscuit, we were served the sides & meat. The ham biscuits were left on the table. The server said we were free to take the ones that remained with us. Maybe, they have served the food all at once on occasion, but our food definitely wasn't served all at once. The tables around us were served the same way we were. FWIW, the service was fantastic. I drink a lot of Diet Coke with meals. They always brought a new one, before I finished the one I was drinking.

You might want to tag the person or reply to their post...this ensures they'll actually see your question.

There could be several scenarios as to why it was dropped off 3 minutes later. Off the top of my head, LC could've taken FOREVER to make the appetizer (many times ive had an entree would arrive shortly after the appetizer...very poor timing) which resulted in the appetizer and entree arriving around the same time. Or perhaps they cooked both the app and entree at the same time. Or the entree was made just prior to the app being made. Again, very poor timing on their part. That's a big no-no.

Or they just mass produce and pre plate everything, which is the most likely scenario.

My wife and I have always had a place in our heart for 'Ohana. We first ate here 12 years ago when we got engaged, we ate here for our first anniversary 10 years ago, and we have eaten here numerous anniversaries since. Over the last 4 years we have eaten here at least once a year with daughter for both breakfast and dinner. Last night as we celebrated our 11th anniversary with dinner at 'Ohana, we both decided we will not be back.

I understand restaurants change over time, but I have noticed a trend with 'Ohana over the last few years when it comes to service and it has not improved. When we arrived I went to podium to check in while my wife took our daughter to the bathroom. I got us both a beer at the Tambu Loungue and then I got the text that our table was ready... that was awesome. We got seated and immediately was brought the salad while the waitress introduced us to the restaurant and we ordered our daughter a kids meal. As the waitress left, her helper brought us the skillet with the noodles, veggies, chicken wings, and potstickers. It seemed a little fast but we finished our plate of salad and just as we started to get food out of the skillet onto our plates, our waitress comes along with the skewers. Now I remember last year feeling rushed but not like this. I looked at my phone and realized we haven’t even been seated for 5 minutes and the meats were already coming out. This leads me to the chicken... The chicken was border line inedible. It didn’t cut like chicken or even taste like chicken. The meat just seemed like fat pieces so I asked for another piece when she came back around and it was the same thing. The steak was perfect and the winner of the night. As they brought around the steak my beer was empty and they never once offered to refill even when they came around with the shrimp. Yes I could have asked for a refill but I knew I was being rushed and I just felt very uncomfortable with the vibe I was getting from the servers. My wife could tell I was aggravated and she even said she couldn’t believe how rushed she felt. When we are paying out of pocket at $50 a piece, I can not justify coming here anymore. It’s a shame because this restaurant has been a special place for us for a long time. I hope they can get things turned around but I think this is all about turning over tables as quickly as possible.

Same for us. My family said PLEASE don't make an ADR here again, my husband cringed at the bill compared to what we actually ate. We had a NEW Cast Member that really bless his heart, was not ready for this. He made so many mistakes and it took him forever to bring anything. Our food was not good at all, my daughter, Disney Adult, finally ordered chicken nuggets so she would not be hungry. I have to say, it is disappointing to have so many hit or misses. A beloved place like this, should work really hard to keep a consistency that is expected, so it will continue to be that special experience for new and repeat guests.

My wife and I have always had a place in our heart for 'Ohana. We first ate here 12 years ago when we got engaged, we ate here for our first anniversary 10 years ago, and we have eaten here numerous anniversaries since. Over the last 4 years we have eaten here at least once a year with daughter for both breakfast and dinner. Last night as we celebrated our 11th anniversary with dinner at 'Ohana, we both decided we will not be back.

I understand restaurants change over time, but I have noticed a trend with 'Ohana over the last few years when it comes to service and it has not improved. When we arrived I went to podium to check in while my wife took our daughter to the bathroom. I got us both a beer at the Tambu Loungue and then I got the text that our table was ready... that was awesome. We got seated and immediately was brought the salad while the waitress introduced us to the restaurant and we ordered our daughter a kids meal. As the waitress left, her helper brought us the skillet with the noodles, veggies, chicken wings, and potstickers. It seemed a little fast but we finished our plate of salad and just as we started to get food out of the skillet onto our plates, our waitress comes along with the skewers. Now I remember last year feeling rushed but not like this. I looked at my phone and realized we haven’t even been seated for 5 minutes and the meats were already coming out. This leads me to the chicken... The chicken was border line inedible. It didn’t cut like chicken or even taste like chicken. The meat just seemed like fat pieces so I asked for another piece when she came back around and it was the same thing. The steak was perfect and the winner of the night. As they brought around the steak my beer was empty and they never once offered to refill even when they came around with the shrimp. Yes I could have asked for a refill but I knew I was being rushed and I just felt very uncomfortable with the vibe I was getting from the servers. My wife could tell I was aggravated and she even said she couldn’t believe how rushed she felt. When we are paying out of pocket at $50 a piece, I can not justify coming here anymore. It’s a shame because this restaurant has been a special place for us for a long time. I hope they can get things turned around but I think this is all about turning over tables as quickly as possible.

We had a nearly identical experience in April. It was our first visit to 'Ohana & I was shocked that this was the place dozens of friends said I had to eat at. We won't be going again. It wasn't worth it at all for us!

Someone posted a picture a bit ago on another site and it now shows them serving spring rolls with the appetizers. The lady said they were really good.

We have always loved Ohana's and it has been a must visit every trip. For our upcoming trip this December I was only able to get reservations at 9:55pm. We have my grandma and mom with us this time around. They have never been and are looking forward to it based on my reviews. I am not so worried about rushed because we have 4 kiddos with us. However, I am concerned about the food temp etc. Any feed back for recent guest that had such a LATE reservations like ours. Clearly we have the last time slot of the night. I have been trying to get earlier but they have not had anything available.

I would be happy if more people stop going so that the reservations won''t be so hard to get and then they won't have a need to rush anyone because less people will be wanting to go there.

I would be happy if more people stop going so that the reservations won''t be so hard to get and then they won't have a need to rush anyone because less people will be wanting to go there.

But what a way to make that goal!

We have always loved Ohana's and it has been a must visit every trip. For our upcoming trip this December I was only able to get reservations at 9:55pm. We have my grandma and mom with us this time around. They have never been and are looking forward to it based on my reviews. I am not so worried about rushed because we have 4 kiddos with us. However, I am concerned about the food temp etc. Any feed back for recent guest that had such a LATE reservations like ours. Clearly we have the last time slot of the night. I have been trying to get earlier but they have not had anything available.
Don't give up, our trip is in August and I finally got a reservation at a decent time for Ohana. Use the reservation finder on Touring Plans, it's free and that is how I scored mine.

But what a way to make that goal!

Its because just like everything in life it is subjective. I have not had a bad experience here and I love the food. If they try to rush me I just say no thank you when they come around with the meat. When I am ready and if they haven't come back yet then I will ask for some. With the amount of money we pay for a Disney vacation at no point should we allow anyone to push us around. If the service is bad then the tip will reflect so.

Don't give up, our trip is in August and I finally got a reservation at a decent time for Ohana. Use the reservation finder on Touring Plans, it's free and that is how I scored mine.
We have a group of 9. I am set up on the reservations finder but no luck as of yet. Do you think the 9:55pm reservation would have more of a negative impact on the dinner? I booked at 180 days out. This was my first selection of the morning. I booked only 2 minutes after the online opeaned and it was the only time slot and day available for our whole trip! I had a much easier time scoring CRT, BOG and Akershus. I was shocked how it’s become so hard to score.

I would love this! Hope it's TRUE and it stays!

Yeah they look not bad. This is the picture that was posted. As I said before, it's not my picture.

37767184_10214476587340504_1178615107073081344_n.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter