• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Good replacement for Mickeys BBQ?

lorenni

DIS Veteran
Trying to find a replacement for the BBQ and coming up short.

Hoop DD show hasn’t changed in 20 years and I just can’t make myself go again.

The luau (food and show) is horrible (especially since we’ve now seen the one at Aulani for comparison).

The best part of the BBQ, for us, was that the kids didn’t have to sit and watch the whole time. Is there anything comparable in WDW these days?

Actually Hoop Dee Doo has changed slightly due to loosing the rights to the original version of the main song they used.

We did the Backyard BBQ once and said never again, but Hoop Dee Doo is one we will do every time we go.

Actually Hoop Dee Doo has changed slightly due to loosing the rights to the original version of the main song they used.

We did the Backyard BBQ once and said never again, but Hoop Dee Doo is one we will do every time we go.

Are you referring to the song change in 2011? They need the refurb the entire show. It’s beethe same (other than subbing out a couple of songs) since the 80’s at least.

Yeah, I preferred the old song, but really I have no problem with the show as it is. The food this last time needed some work, but could have just been an off day for the cooks.

Are you referring to the song change in 2011? They need the refurb the entire show. It’s beethe same (other than subbing out a couple of songs) since the 80’s at least.

To each his own- we do HDDR every year and we'd hate to see them change it, but Mickey's BBQ was a one and done for us. I guess as somewhat of a replacement possibly Ohana? It really is nothing like the BBQ in that there's not a show, but there's a couple of kid activities on occasion. Other than that, there's really nothing comparable.

One suggestion is that new Pixar Play thing for kids at Contemporary. Of course it would mean you guys go to dinner while the kids are at the Pixar thing, but that may work out. Whatever you decide, enjoy! :)

We have done HDDR at Christmas time and that is fun too, but other than that I don't see a need to change it.

Place Place is going to be replaced by something else, I read somewhere on here. Many of the resorts have outdoor movie and S'mores nights, and I think they're open to everyone, not just the folks staying there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong! That might be an option.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for but based on the general location you're looking at and character interaction why not look into the new character meal where Artist Point used to be? Storybook Dining with Snow White.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest, perhaps, dropping the kids of at Pixar Play Zone at CR - they can run around, play, have some dinner - while the adults have a meal somewhere else. You won't all be together, but it's probably the closest thing to being able to eat and then run around like they could at Mickey's BBQ.

To each his own- we do HDDR every year and we'd hate to see them change it, but Mickey's BBQ was a one and done for us. I guess as somewhat of a replacement possibly Ohana? It really is nothing like the BBQ in that there's not a show, but there's a couple of kid activities on occasion. Other than that, there's really nothing comparable.

One suggestion is that new Pixar Play thing for kids at Contemporary. Of course it would mean you guys go to dinner while the kids are at the Pixar thing, but that may work out. Whatever you decide, enjoy! :)

Don’t get me wrong - we still do HDDR once every 2-3 years but I find it’s not quite entertaining enough for the younger kids, and we’ll have a 4 year old with us this trip. The BBQ was essentially the same food, with space and entertainment for the littles. One difference in our experience may have been that we paid the extra $10 each for tier 1 at the BBQ so we got in first with no line, got food first with no line, met the characters with no line, etc. I would not have enjoyed it half as much otherwise.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for but based on the general location you're looking at and character interaction why not look into the new character meal where Artist Point used to be? Storybook Dining with Snow White.

I did look into this but apparently it’s the new BOG - the current hot reservation. There was nothing available at 180 days out.

Was also thinking about the pirates and pals cruise, but not sure it will hold the attention of the four year old. Our guy was 6 when we did it, and he loved it.

It’s not a full show but this trip we’re replacing the BBQ with chip and dale’s campfire singalong and dinner at the chuck wagon—depends on what you’re looking for, though!

I’ll definitely look into this. Especially if the weather is nice, I love taking the boat over to FW. Between the horses and the playground it’s some quality outdoor time.

Don’t get me wrong - we still do HDDR once every 2-3 years but I find it’s not quite entertaining enough for the younger kids, and we’ll have a 4 year old with us this trip. The BBQ was essentially the same food, with space and entertainment for the littles. One difference in our experience may have been that we paid the extra $10 each for tier 1 at the BBQ so we got in first with no line, got food first with no line, met the characters with no line, etc. I would not have enjoyed it half as much otherwise.
a couple of years ago at HDDR our 4.5 year old granddaughter plus her at the time 18 month old and 8 year old boy cousins all loved the show. we were a large group of 14 and all loved it

It’s not a full show but this trip we’re replacing the BBQ with chip and dale’s campfire singalong and dinner at the chuck wagon—depends on what you’re looking for, though!

Dinner at Trails End then The Chip and Dale Campfire singalong!

I was just going to suggest this as a replacement.

OP- The BBQ was once and done for my family however I know it was fun for a lot of folks. I think that the the combination of Trails Ebd and the sing along is probably the closest you can come to matching what you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter