Good places for overnight stop between Sac and DLR?

lorijohnhill

DIS Veteran
I know most people would drive straight through, but with my disability, I'm not sure I can. Our current plan (myself and my 10 year old daughter) is to leave Sacramento on a Saturday afternoon/early evening and arrive at DLR early Sunday morning. Then do the reverse the next weekend.

Any suggestions?

We usually fly, but this is a last minute trip and the flights are out of my price range and I don't like the times available.

Buttonwillow might be at about the half way point on I-5. There are a few motels at that exit right off the freeway

We stayed at a best western just north of the grapevine, it was soooooo smoky(I'm a non smoker). I saw a microtel across the way from there and decided I would stay there the next time. It was good timing for us, not the middle, but worked out well.

If you plan on getting to So-Cal early Sunday to enjoy the day in the park, I'd opt for getting past the half way point. Bakersfield should have plenty of decent, inexpensive rooms and would be about 2/3 of they way there with regards to time and more than that in miles.

We stayed at a best western just north of the grapevine, it was soooooo smoky(I'm a non smoker). I saw a microtel across the way from there and decided I would stay there the next time. It was good timing for us, not the middle, but worked out well.

There's also a new outlet mall just north of the grapevine where you could kill some time on Saturday afternoon.

We usually drive straight through, unless we decide to leave the evening before and break the trip. These mileage/time are from Auburn and are where the en route Motel 6s are, but there are other motels nearby. I'm a compulsive planner and list maker so I made a list for us to use to decide where to stay depending on when we leave. You can use it to help you figure a couple of potential stopping points.

Total miles from Auburn to Disneyland 440 miles.

Not sure where you are in the Sac area, it's about 30 miles from Auburn to Mid-town, so if you're in Sacramento proper, lop off 30 miles and about 1/2 hour drive time.

Distances/times

I-5

Los Banos/Santa Nella 142 mi 2.25 hr

Coalinga 215 mi 3.5 hr

Lost Hills 270 mi 4.5 hr

Buttonwillow 292 mi 4.75 hr

Lebec -top of Grapevine 342 mi 5.5 h

Hwy 99

Kingsburg 214 mi 3.5 hr

Tulare 240 mi 4 hr

Delano 270 mi 4.5 hr

Bakersfield So. 305 5 hr

Lebec 345 mi 5.5 hr

Last edited:
There's nothing too enticing on your way, but we drive I5 as well and prefer to stop in Arvin at the base of the Grapevine. It's a newer, safe stop with lots of dining options. There's the Outlets at Tejon and a newer hotel that looks decent (Microtel Inn & Suites) there as well. It puts you about 2 hours from Disneyland.

I know most people would drive straight through, but with my disability, I'm not sure I can. Our current plan (myself and my 10 year old daughter) is to leave Sacramento on a Saturday afternoon/early evening and arrive at DLR early Sunday morning. Then do the reverse the next weekend.

Any suggestions?

We usually fly, but this is a last minute trip and the flights are out of my price range and I don't like the times available.
Have you looked at JetBlue rates lately? They have a few Saturdays with $49 flights between SMF and LGB.

Have you looked at JetBlue rates lately? They have a few Saturdays with $49 flights between SMF and LGB.
I did check into Jet Blue. Unfortunately, our dates didn't have the $49 fares and we'd have to leave early to head home.

We've stayed at the Hampton on the south end of Bakersfield a few years back. That's about 5 hours from where you're at. Not a bad drive. Then it's about 3 hours to DL from there, so nice and easy. Plus Hamptons have the best beds and really good breakfasts.

My husband and I stayed overnight at Harris Ranch once. It was a really relaxing place to spend the evening, a bit more of a "destination" than just a motel to crash for the night, so it may or may not be what you're looking for! We had dinner at their steakhouse and explored the grounds a little bit, then the next morning they delivered a continental breakfast directly to our room before we headed out early in the AM. It's about 3.5 hours away from Disneyland. If you do look into Harris Ranch, they usually have specials on their website that include dinner or something of that nature.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter