Going back from 1BR to studio is hard, how bad it is from a 2BR to a 1BR?

Straulin

Mouseketeer
On our last stay we had a couple nights in a 1 bedroom and I don’t know if I will ever get my family of four to go back to a studio. So for our next trip we booked a 1br at BCV in Oct 2023.

We have family that might join us. If they do, my mom will stay in our room. The timing for their decision is such that we decided to go ahead and upgrade to a two bedroom. If my side doesn’t come, we may bring our niece and nephew from my wife’s side with us in our room.

So how hard is it to convince the family to go back down to a 1br after a break the 2br seal?

Also, if I book a regular two bedroom at BCV, will I be assured to not get a lock-off or visa versa? The system has them listed separately when I book.

Less hard unless you were using the second bedroom to have no one crash in the LR.

Dedicated vs. lock-off at BCV is booking category. You will get what you booked, unless someone goes wild turning the living room into a jello wrestling pit and they have to reassign you at check-on because it's going to take 3 days to get the lime powder off the ceiling.

Experiencing the 2BR could be dangerous!! The dedicated 2BRs have real beds and an extra bathroom or 2! Unless you have folks who enjoy sleeping on a pullout, you might just become at 2BR family!!

In a perfect world, nobody sleeps in the living room so it's always open for late night / early morning relaxation or kitchen use. But not everyone has the desire to spend enough points to make that a reality.

Personally I'm fine with being (mostly) relegated to the master bedroom late in the evening. 2BR vs 1BR doesn't really impact me because I only use one of the bedrooms. When we book a 2BR, someone else is in that second bedroom.

The most important feature at any Disney accommodation for me is a King bed. I have a very hard time downgrading my sleeping situation from a King at home to a Queen on vacation, unless I'm getting the Queen to myself. So for me, we'll go to a 2 bedroom when Grandma and Grandpa tag along, but we don't feel a great compulsion to go to a 2 bedroom when it's just us and the kids.

We don't cook very much (other than maybe some scrambled eggs as we head out the door), and we never watch TV on vacation, so we have no problem using the living area as the kids' bedroom.

We are a family of three and almost always book 2 BR's. I'm a night owl. My husband is an early riser. So when our son is with us, we need that extra bedroom to free up the living room space. It makes for a much more relaxing vacation and keeps everyone happy. Plus, our son gets a real bed, though as they convert the sofa beds to Murphy beds that becomes less of an issue, I guess.

My opinion is that's not a fair comparison. All of the real amenities of a 1 BR are the same as a 2BR. It's just a matter of whether you need the bed/space. A studio is a totally different animal from a bedroom/LR accommodation.

We recently stayed in a 1 bedroom at SSR since I couldn’t get a 2 bed for the first night. Party of 4. 4 people with 1 bathroom is not for us.
This! I convince friend to get a two bedroom rather than a one bedroom at SSR when a fourth person decided to come. We shared the cost of the “one time use” points because our friend didn’t have enough points for one of the nights.

We recently stayed in a 1 bedroom at SSR since I couldn’t get a 2 bed for the first night. Party of 4. 4 people with 1 bathroom is not for us.

Great point. I didn't even think about that. I can see where that would matter to a lot of people, especially depending on the guest "configuration."

We always get a 2BR when we take guests because it's always another family. 'We be three' so the second or even third bathroom really doesn't matter to us at all.

(Interesting tidbit that just dawned on me. I have always lived in older farm houses and have never actually lived in a house that had more than one bathroom. I'm sure many of you would gasp at that thought, but I had never even really thought about it.)

Last edited:
Our kids are getting bigger (13 and 11) and complain about the pull out and refuse to share. Once the soft goods refresh goes through I hope the do the trundle and Murphy bed (or is that a full hard goods?). Then I hope we would be fine in a 1br.

Experiencing the 2BR could be dangerous!! The dedicated 2BRs have real beds and an extra bathroom or 2! Unless you have folks who enjoy sleeping on a pullout, you might just become at 2BR family!!

That's funny. You're right, but I read my family the 'riot act' years ago. You can go 2 weeks a year and stay in a nice 1BR somewhere (We have never cooked much more than a hot dog or a pizza in the room.) during mostly peak season (We usually have to because of school schedules.), or you can go 3-5 times per year and stay in a deluxe studio. I'm not doubling the points just so you can have a 1BR.

We have never had to have that conversation again. We splurge on very rare occasion, but we be 3 in a studio suits my girls just fine. The large accommodations are wonderful, and we really enjoy them, but for 3 of us, we value our days and time spent together far more.

The points difference for a 2bd vs a 1 bedroom is sometimes not a lot, especially if you forgo a view category, so I usually book the 2 bedroom. The point leap from a studio to a 1bed is greater. My husband declared that he only wants one bedrooms from now on even if it’s just the two of us.

There are certainly some significant advantages to the 1BR, and ultimately the 2BR! We're at a point in our travels that just the 2 of us prefer the 1BR - more room, washer/dryer (less stuff to pack), full refrigerator for water/drinks/food we want to order, etc. As long as the points are allowing, we're doing the larger rooms now!

That's funny. You're right, but I read my family the 'riot act' years ago. You can go 2 weeks a year and stay in a nice 1BR somewhere (We have never cooked much more than a hot dog or a pizza in the room.) during mostly peak season (We usually have to because of school schedules.), or you can go 3-5 times per year and stay in a deluxe studio. I'm not doubling the points just so you can have a 1BR.

We have never had to have that conversation again. We splurge on very rare occasion, but we be 3 in a studio suits my girls just fine. The large accommodations are wonderful, and we really enjoy them, but for 3 of us, we value our days and time spent together far more.

Good points. We have 360 points so it is just enough for a two bedroom for a week each year. Once my wife and I retire that will look like just enough for a studio for 3 weeks every year. Not sure if I will convince her.

We stayed with my parents in other 2BR TS resorts several times before buying DVC, so when we bought it was with the plan to book 2BR for the 4 of us (assuring DS and DD would each have a bed). We bought for SPACE!

There are certainly some significant advantages to the 1BR, and ultimately the 2BR! We're at a point in our travels that just the 2 of us prefer the 1BR - more room, washer/dryer (less stuff to pack), full refrigerator for water/drinks/food we want to order, etc. As long as the points are allowing, we're doing the larger rooms now!
That’s us! And last July we were so glad to have the W/D - we went to the parks only after sundown, but it was so humid and warm that as soon as we walked in the villa door, we’d peel off our sweaty clothes and put them directly into the washer.

Only two of us. We usually get a one bedroom. Because of limited availability, we had a two bedroom in Hilton Head ... nice! Then when we had to use up points, we got a beach cottage in Vero and now that's all I want.

You lose the separate bedroom with the two beds.

Is that a big deal? You would need to look who uses that room right now and think about it.

For us the kids wouldn't care but they are young and already go in the living room area as my parents come along and go in the 2nd bedroom.

Studio is terrible going to because you lose any ability for privacy of Parents vs Kids, lose the kitchen, lose the space, and lose the washing machine in room.

We have family that might join us. If they do, my mom will stay in our room. The timing for their decision is such that we decided to go ahead and upgrade to a two bedroom. If my side doesn’t come, we may bring our niece and nephew from my wife’s side with us in our room.
Let’s say it’s nice to have options. I love my family, really I do. Blessed to have them in my life and want to go on vacations together.

That said, after several trips with so much ‘togetherness’ this year, would probably book two studios over a 2 BR ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter