• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gluten Free kids on DDP/Entree Swap?

EEva

Mouseketeer
Hello. I would appreciate some advice. I’ve searched but can’t find anything this specific.

We are going mid-October and will have the DDP with two adults, as well as DD12 and DD9. Our youngest has Celiac (as well as type one diabetes.) So she will need to have gluten free meals. I’ve been able to find many allergy-friendly menus online, and they’ve been super helpful in planning.

Two questions . . .
1. If there is no GF option on the kid’s menu (unlikely, but you never know) could she get an adult meal?

2. Our DD12 is all about nuggets and hot dogs so would probably rather order off the kid’s menu. Would it be bad form if we ordered one adult and one child meal, then have them switch plates when the food arrives? (Making sure the meal DD9 gets is GF)

This will be our first time to WDW (many times to DL) and we’re so very excited!!!

The chefs will always accomodate her diet at Table service restaurants even if there is no kids meal listed, they will make one gluten free. For example, my ODD has been served fish or another protein when she can't order anything on the kids menu. With the allergy menus, sometimes you don't need a chef. If you don't see anything that works, don't be afraid to ask to see the chef. They will likely ask "what would she like?" When on DDP, we have never had a problem, and the portion sometimes rivaled adult portion when specially prepared. Paying out of pocket, my ODD is now 10. Sometimes we have been charged for adult entree, but not always. Sometimes, she still only gets charged child's when ordering ala carte. This is in reference to customized entrees. I have less experience with counter service. I would never switch entrees without the servers knowledge due to the allergy. However, you should be able to simple ask if you can use the adult credit for your dd and the child for your DS. They won't care. You are still using an accurate credit.

Your best bet is to make ADRs and call ahead to plan your meals with the chef. They will almost always work with you ahead of time. Quick service is a different story. You can request items, but they are not a full service kitchen with a chef. Their meals are pretty set. It is not like they have gluten free items laying around to substitute with. You can always call Disney and ask what options would work. The cast members do their very best to make sure your vacation can work with your dietary needs in mind. My Niece has Turners Syndrom, which is coupled with Celiac disease - finding food is difficult at times, so I know your pain.

I have celiac disease and have never had any problem while at DW. It's quite the opposite in fact. I've had many amazing meals, Mickey waffles, pancakes, muffins, donuts, cakes, cookies, nuggets, Mac & cheese, pizza, pasta. It's truly a gf dream come true. At times waiting for a manager at counter service or chef at table service restaurants take a bit longer and waiting for the specially prepared meals does take a few more minutes, but it's worth the wait knowing that it's being prepared correctly. I've had chefs ask me what I want, completely tossing out the menu and preparing something just for me. At counter service places they do have less wiggle room, but you'll know judging by the restaurant what they'll probably have, you're not going to go to Casey's on Main Street and expect to get a pizza. However, everyone that I've encountered on all of my trips has been very happy to help me find what I want!

Thank you everyone for your input! I had assumed a TS meal would be more adaptable, so that's why we went with DDP instead of the QS version. It's nice to have that confirmed.
All ADRs are made and special needs info added. I will also plan on meals taking a bit longer.

When my DD heard that gluten free Mickey waffles exist, she began to jump and squeal!

Not only gluten free waffles, but also french fries and other fried foods, pasta, donuts, cupcakes, brownies, pizza, buns and other types of bread, and pretty much anything else she wants.

I'm having trouble thinking of somewhere I have wanted to eat that they could serve me.

Not bad form to order and switch, we will be doing that next trip. Dd will be a Disney adult, but prefers kids stuff where my 7 year old has no issues polishing an adult steak. They'll be swapping a lot :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter