Girl Scouts and Leaders: Information sharing for the 2013-2014 year

TanyaS

Mouseketeer
What does your troop have planned for the 2013-2014 year?

What successes has your troop had? Good ideas to share? Failures or problem to warn about? Best practices?

What works? What doesn't?

What do you have planned for for first meeting?

Let's share!

My troop is third grade Brownies. We meet every other week after school in a classroom for 1.5 hours. Additionally, we usually have one activity per month held on a Saturday or Sunday. We will have between 10 and 12 girls in the troop.

My first tip for new Brownie troops: get the vests, not the sashes! We are not an overly badge-earning troop, but will still run out of room on the girls' sashes for the basic badges that we do earn.

Our troop was together for the two years of Daisies. The girls' favorite activity was the one we did to earn the red petal for "courageous and strong" - we climbed a 50 foot climbing wall at a county park. The girls loved this activity.

For our second grade Brownie year we earned the Brownie Quest Journey badges. I did not love this journey.

This year we will be working on the World of Water Journey badges. I am looking forward to this journey and have been planning the following field trips:
* municipal water treatment facility
* a non-profit that makes water filtering systems for areas without safe drinking water
* beach/river sweep clean-up
* kayak trip

For our first meeting, I'm planning on working on the My Great Day badge. Having the girls make a two-week schedule to check off completion of daily activities (set out clothes for next day, set alarm, make bed), decorating containers to hold pencils for homework, make special date calendar for troop, and organize an area in our meeting room with our Brownie supplies.

We'll also be learning some new songs or games. Any suggestions?

In our repertoire already is:
Make New Friends
The Brownie Smile Song
Hermie the Worm
My Name is Joe

:flower3:

I am helping out with a mixed troop that my 2 nieces belong to. We are a very diverse group ranging from Daisies (and a couple of Pre-Daisies) all the way up to Ambassadors. Yesterday we had 14 scouts. Some of them have learning or emotional issues, are in foster care or in various stages of the adoption progress so we have quite a group. We have 2 adult leaders and 2 adult volunteers.
At last night's meeting the girls made shirts to wear on field trips/activities. One of the activities we have planned is to visit a nearby farm that has therapy animals for children. The animals range from rabbits to lambs and goats to horses. The girls will work at cleaning or grooming for a while and then be able to ride horses. An apple orchard that is less than an hour away has a Scouting Day where scouts can go and do various activities. They will each receive a small tree to plant at home.
Our leader is very craft oriented. We met for most of the summer and she had the girls making crafts from many different cultures. They had made "passports" and marked the countries that the crafts were related to. One activity was to cut strips of construction paper and glue them onto a sheet of paper like a tree trunk & branches. They then dipped the bottom of a 20 or 24 ounce pop/soda bottle into paint and pressed them on the paper to make "Japanese Chery Blossom Trees". Even the youngest who is 3.5yo was able to do this with minimal assistance. The older girls are great at helping the younger ones. Many crafts/activities are adapted to meet the various ages and abilities of the girls.

I just goggled to find directions for the Cherry Blossom tree art - love this! I may have to add it to our session when we have the tea party as part of the water journey.

What sort of t-shirts did your troop make?

The ages and differing levels in your nieces troop must make it extra challenging to lead, but what a great experience for the girls to work with many girls other than their own age!

The shirts are bright green for the girls (and a couple of brothers who attend occasionally) and white for adults. We wrote the troop number on the back and the girls decorated the front as they wanted with markers or tie dye. Not all of the girls can afford uniforms so they will wear the shirts when we are on field trip/activities.
It is challenging to work around all of the ages and levels especially as a couple of the girls act and achieve at levels several years younger than their ages due to disabilities. It teaches the other girls empathy. I know my 7yo niece asks lots of questions about something the girls may do or not do. She has become very close to one girl who has several issues and is 10 but functions at about a kdg. level. If she sees her struggling with a project she will try to help or get help for her.

We'll also be learning some new songs or games. Any suggestions?

In our repertoire already is:
Make New Friends
The Brownie Smile Song
Hermie the Worm
My Name is Joe

:flower3:

You got me singing now :)

I've listed some of the favorites of that age group in my experience. These songs focus heavily on letter sounds, rhyming, repetition, silliness, and hand motions.

Percy the Pale Face Polar Bear
Gumdrop Song (I put the penny in the gum drop)
Hey Diddle Diddle
The Princess Pat
Bubblegum Song (My mom gave me a penny)
Boom Chicka Boom

It's not too early though to get them started on some of the more grown-up songs that teach scouting values.

Linger
On My Honor
Barges
Taps
On the Loose
One Tin Soldier
Magic
Happy Days

I learned songs growing up by listening. I would join in the chorus of the more grown-up songs and then the versus as I came to learn those too. I found it a lot more fun to learn how to "be good" through music instead of workbook lessons. These songs are great to transition into a calmer period...either at the end of the day or meeting.

As for the OP, one of the best things my troop leader required for my troop 5-9th grade was to require each mom to participate in some way. There was a lot of grumbling at first, but it was more due to parents being used to using GS as a drop-off activity combined with low self-esteem since several of the moms were factory workers, on food stamps, single moms, etc. We learned to see the value that every person can contribute while at the same time preventing our troop leaders from burning out from exhaustion. I can't recall any other time where I saw a college professor, world-wide business executive, factory line worker, SAHM, home-ec teacher, etc. work together on the same level respectfully for their older children.

I'm not a GS leader (yet), but I have a weak spot for my scouting days as a scout, camp counselor, volunteer, and assistant leader...and so had to lurk.

"She wears a G for generosity...she wears an I for interest too...she wears a R for real-life sportsmanship...she wears an L for loyalty!"....

I am taking over my daughter's troop this year. I have been a leader in the past too. The girls will be seniors (grades 9th and 10th) We will work on our Journey and then hopefully the girls will work on their Gold awards. Looking forward to hearing what others are doing too.

I have 27 5th and 6th grade Scouts. 13 are New Cadettes and 14 are 2nd year juniors. His will be our 5th year as a troop. I have 2 co leaders and all my parents help out. Either by bringing snack or helping with a meeting.We meet at least twice a month for 1.5 hours right after school. We are lucky that we can use the classrooms for meeting space We just finished our journey book and are almost done with our bronze award. I've just started to think about this year and all we get to do and learn about. We've toured our local recycling facility, animal shelters, fire/police stations. We've worked with toys for tots and one warm coat. we've sang at a senior center and served pancakes to our community. We've made jewelry, planted flowers, cooked, cleaned, and washed laundry. And not to mentioned all the craft projects from recycled everything. Currently we are working and saving to go to Disneyland. It's a lot of hard work but our girls are determined to go!! ccant wait to hear about other troops!

I was an assistant Daisy leader last year and will assist with Brownies this year. I just have to share something we did as a family did this summer...

If any troop or family is planning a trip to NYC, make sure you are there during the week (m-f, no holidays) and visit the National Girl Scouts Headquarters and Museum! DD just bridged to Brownies so we didn't go with a troop, we booked the tour while visiting the city over the summer. We booked about a month in advance and it was completely free.

We first met with the woman who runs the archives and she showed us that area and then the layout of the museum. She gave DD a little pamphlet of questions that followed along with all the displays which took about an hour. It was a lot of fun to see all the old uniforms, posters, handbooks, etc...

When we were done the museum, she took us to the Executive Office and let DD into the President's and CEO's offices. She said the CEO was there that day, but in a meeting. Just as we were leaving, Anna Maria Chavez walked out of the conference room and stopped everything she was doing when she saw a girl scout was visiting! She showed DD around her office and her assistant took a picture of them and put it on Twitter. For visiting the offices DD was given a President's fun patch and a CEO "Eagle 1" fun patch. There are also tour souvenir patches for sale in the store that says "NYC Headquarters". It was like the Girl Scout version of a Disney Magical Moment! LOL :wizard:

Someone mentioned in a previous post about getting a vest vs a sash and I can't agree more! In the picture DD is wearing an extra-long sash, since then we have switched to a vest. With the President's, CEO Eagle 1, NYC Headquarters, and 2 camp patches she got this summer (camp logo and Polar Bear Swim); the back of the extra-long sash wold have been 1/3 full- before her first Brownie meeting! DD had originally tried on the vest, but she is tall and has a broad back, the large was too tight and the plus large was way too big in the front. We found out in the NYC store for $3 more plus shipping the manufacturer will make a vest in any size or use the child's measurements. We ordered DD a Brownie vest the same dimensions as a Juniors XL and you can't tell it is custom made.

Here is the link to booking a tour.
http://www.girlscouts.org/who_we_are/facts/visit_us.asp

Here is the Twitter post of DD with Anna Maria Chavez:
https://twitter.com/AnnaMariaChavez/status/354306568684187648

wait! can someone post the hermie the worm lyrics and boom chicka boom? My kids know part of the boom song and I wanna teach them the rest! Ps. im not a girl scout leader but I love these threads for ideas to use with my preschoolers.

I have no idea what I've gotten myself into for this year but it will be an adventure.

I also agree about the vests!!! I'm trying to convert the troops back to that.

This will be my first year as a leader with my daugther (she gets me roped into all sorts of things -- this is what happens when you have a gung ho Girl Scout that hasn't done it for years helping with Cub Scout stuff and says "I miss Scouting" to which you reply innocently "You know you are 18 now and can be a leader".....and our saga begins!).

We are taking over a 1st year Brownie troop at our local elementary school. Their leader who did the Daisy program stepped down. We went and saw a school-wide scout event to basically meet the girls briefly, etc... they had and they only had Daises/Juniors but the Juniors had Sashes. My daughter looked at each other and went...our girls NEED vests!!! When she was in school, everyone had vests...of course, that was a 3-year Brownie program but even getting the largest size at the time...her vest was completely full by the time we got done.

Then we recently had a back to school kick off carnival and a mom came up to me hearing I was the new GS leader and since she tried to get her daugther in a Daisy troop last year in Kindergarten but no one stepped up.

I don't know if anything is official on that yet or not but I believe we are going to be Daisy troop leaders also (1st graders only hopefully but I did put myself out there if no one steps up for the Kindergarten girls...we will do a K-1 troop).

The poor Daisy parents have been waiting to find out when we are meeting, etc... because I told them right away last year that time/date may change and if they want the exact same meeting time, etc.... then we probably are not the leaders for them. We finally got at least the day finalized but not the time yet/location yet.

As for plans..we want to do the legacy badges. We figured that was the easiest for us to start with since it has taken us a while to figure out all the new stuff (DD was in scouts when journeys were just in their test phase, try-its existed and most levels were 3 years, etc... so it has taken us a while to understand the new program).

The Daisy's obviously the petals since most will only be 1 year Daisy's.

We have some basic plans but until we meet with the girls, figure out what they want to do, etc... We are winging it somewhat but Fall product seems to start right away and then next thing you know it is cookie time. Let's hope for a cookie mom as I had my fill when DD was selling (she always sold several cases...).

I was a co-leader until this year when I took on PTA President and decided to step down from Girl Scouts. The girls are now Cadets and the leader is letting them really take the lead.

But last year, we took a trip to Savannah to see the home of Juliette Gordon Lowe. The girls did fall product and of course cookie sales plus had been saving (the majority of this group has been together since first grade - they're in sixth now). We took the train from Orlando to Savannah, stayed in a hotel and spent a day touring Savannah and the house, then came home on the train the next day. In addition to that, we earned our Bronze award. A LOT in one year, so this year they're taking it easy (for the parents' sake, not the girls!).

My daughter wants to keep with it, but I've noticed interest in Girl Scouts starts waning around middle school. She's in sixth grade...wonder if/when I will see that happen with her. Does that happen in your area too?

There are a bunch of videos on You Tube for songs such as Hermy the Worm or Boom Chicka Boom.

We haven't gotten to middle school yet, but my leader friends who do have older groups do have some drop-offs in membership. The older groups also tend to meet on Sunday afternoons (too many after school conflicts) and meet less often. One group refers to themselves as a community service group because the girls, ahem, young women, are a little embarrassed by the "girl" scout title.

Becky - I agree the Legacy badges are easier to do than the Journeys. I am not a fan of the journeys.

You could also do some of the Skills Builder Badges that are supposed to go along with the Journeys. They are also more like the try-its - five steps and done. I personally think second grade is too young for really having most girls think up and implement projects. :confused3

One of my pet peeves with Girl Scouts is the way they split all the information into so many different books and sets. I wish you could buy just one book that listed all the different badge requirements for Daisies or Brownies, instead of having to purchase a bunch of different sets. :mad: And it is time for Girl Scouts to put all the badge requirements online! Okay, off my soapbox!

Well, I have downloaded several songs for the girls to learn tomorrow and have everything ready to go for our first meeting of the year!

G is generosity! :cheer2: I for interest too! :cheer2: :thumbsup2

I am in my 3rd year of leading my daughters troop, which is a first year Brownie troop this year. We have 12 girls and 11 are saving to go to WDW in June 2015. We've saved some cookie money for this year and had a garage sale in June and we're almost 1/4 of the way!

We met once over the summer and earned our artist legacy badge. Our first meeting at school was last Tuesday and we started our Brownie Quest journey. We are doing a kaper chart for the first time and so far the girls really liked it!

I can't wait to get all the info for fall product!

I'm in the process of finding someone to take over my file as troop leader. Last year we were a Brownie troop of 21 girls, this years we'll be a Brownie/Junior troop. I found it challenging with a group this large and no parent participation. Even my co-leader often flaked :(

The girls were great, as are many of their parents, just no one can commit. They liked the outdoor skills the best, as well as intensive art projects. Last year we met weekly, this year I'd like it have them meet every other week.

Getting ready for our bridging ceremony (to Juniors)!

How did everyone's year go?

Our troop finished the Brownie Wonders of Water journey and the legacy badges that we hadn't done in the first year of Brownies.

Our WOW project was taking part in the Water Missions International Walk for Water to raise money for water filtration systems for parts of the world lacking potable water.

We didn't camp out this year, which I would have liked for the troop to do, so that will be high on my list for next year.

Junior troop leaders - Which journeys did you do? Any suggestions?

I may be losing my assistant (her daughter may be doing gymnastics every afternoon and cutting out scouts) and was worried I wasn't going to have any help, but I think one of the other parents is willing to be a troop assistant leader. Whew.

Do you have issues with parental-UNinvolvement? How do you deal with this?

You got me singing now :)

I've listed some of the favorites of that age group in my experience. These songs focus heavily on letter sounds, rhyming, repetition, silliness, and hand motions.

Percy the Pale Face Polar Bear
Gumdrop Song (I put the penny in the gum drop)
Hey Diddle Diddle
The Princess Pat
Bubblegum Song (My mom gave me a penny)
Boom Chicka Boom

It's not too early though to get them started on some of the more grown-up songs that teach scouting values.

Linger
On My Honor
Barges
Taps
On the Loose
One Tin Soldier
Magic
Happy Days

"She wears a G for generosity...she wears an I for interest too...she wears a R for real-life sportsmanship...she wears an L for loyalty!"....

(….for loy-al-ty)

Can we have a sing-along? Former scout (all the way through college), leader, resident camp counselor. Nobody knows the same songs that I do… except you guys! On the Loose always chokes me up. My very last session as a unit leader, I had brownies at overnight camp. SUCH FUN! My staff and I used On the Loose for our staff intro song, with the words changed, of douse. SUCH an amazing summer… possibly the best summer of my life.

I didn't know the "One the Loose" song - just listened to it on Youtube. Will have to teach it next year!

What did everyone use for a "bridge" for the bridging ceremony?

For Daisy to Brownie, we used a piece of playground equipment at the school, but we are having this ceremony (Brownie to Junior) at my house, so I need to create something and woodworking is not an option. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter