gift card fail

disdad19

Earning My Ears
It's embarrassing to admit this, but I just realized I have $2000 in Target gift cards that I am no longer able to exchange for Disney gift cards. I bought them with this express purpose in mind, and I don't know what else I can do with them.
I know I can sell them online although this would be at a pretty significant loss. Is there any way to somehow convert them into cash or Disney GCs or something else useful?
One thought I had is this: What if I log in with my Redcard account and buy something very expensive from Target's website. Enter the gift cards to pay for it (or at least part of it). Can I then return it to the store and have the entire amount placed back on my Redcard? I know it's a long shot. I'm so mad at myself for not buying Disney cards long ago when I first got these Target cards but I just forgot since our next trip wasn't for awhile.
Any other creative options are greatly appreciated!!!

Ugh. I got stuck with about $300 worth of Target gift cards myself.

Your best bet is to probably sell them via Raise or something similar and make the best of it.

One possibility is to use the gift cards to buy household necessities, e.g. groceries and cleaning supplies or back to school items, that you would buy anyway, then use the budgeted money that you would have used for those items to buy Disney gift cards. If you do this for several trips, assuming $2000 covers a few trips, you should be able to get whatever you need at Target and get your Disney gift cards, too.

I don’t think your idea of purchasing and returning will work. I think they would give you a gift card back for part of the purchase.

Start purchasing the stuff your household uses with the gift cards and then use the money you aren’t spending on household items for the trip.

In addition to purchasing household good, you could also purchase things you need for a Disney trip (sunscreen, etc.).

One thought I had is this: What if I log in with my Redcard account and buy something very expensive from Target's website. Enter the gift cards to pay for it (or at least part of it). Can I then return it to the store and have the entire amount placed back on my Redcard? I know it's a long shot.

That won't work, unfortunately. the portion that was paid with a gift card will be refunded to a gift card.

Depending on the denominations, can you use them as gifts? (nieces or nephews, teacher gifts, coworkers, wedding or housewarming?) Use them for Christmas shopping or back to school? You can get free shipping with your Redcard, so how about nonperishable groceries, cleaning supplies, paper products? I find I can do better at Target than Costco for most of my household supplies (paper towels, toilet paper, etc).

I am at Target a few times per week, so it's hard for me to imagine not being able to find something to spend Target gift cards on :cool1:

I'd be using the Target GC for household necessities; food. TP, paper towels, laundry detergent, back to school supplies, basic clothing items like socks and underwear, toiletries, etc. Christmas is coming up so you can use it for that as well.

No need to dwell on what you can't use it on, but rather focus on how you can use it.

Thanks everyone for responding. I guess I'll need to just start shopping at Target more :)
We do typically get paper towels, etc at Costco so they're going to be losing some of our business for the near future. Good to know about the free shipping with Target Redcard. My wife usually does most of the household shopping so I'm sure she's already aware of this. Now I need to find a way to break the news to her what I've done :snooty:

Did you buy them at a discount? Then using them at Target might be worth it. Otherwise I would follow @floridafam’s advise and simply return them if you still have the receipts. I do occasionally buy everyday items at Target but they are generally priced higher than other places.

If OP bought them on the 10% off deals and are physical cards then problem soleved, return them. If they aren’t physical cards direct from Target- personally I’d take the hit to your savings and get your cash back by selling them online. $2k is a lot of Target groceries and household goods, especially if you don’t normally shop there. Unless maybe you need a TV? Furniture?

I've learned the hard way that if you pay for any part of your Target purchase with a gift card your ENTIRE refund will be on a gift card. $200 paid for with $5 gift card (rebate for beauty products) + $195 on Red Card...return any item/s from that purchase and your entire refund is on a gift card. So please don't buy something and think you'll get it refunded to your Red Card.

What a tough choice to make! My first choice would be to sell them online for minimal loss. Second, to use them for everyday household purchases. Good luck!

Did you buy them at a discount? Then using them at Target might be worth it. Otherwise I would follow @floridafam’s advise and simply return them if you still have the receipts. I do occasionally buy everyday items at Target but they are generally priced higher than other places.

This may still be true on certain items, but I find Target to be much more competitive on pricing these days.

I would have just thought, "well, I guess I'm set for Target purchases for awhile." We have a toddler and one on the way, so we spend a bundle just on diapers, overnights, pull-ups, wipes, etc. We also buy some food and most of our household stuff there (vitamins, beauty products, toiletries, detergent, etc.). We don't have a big box membership, so I couldn't compare, but I try to shop our necessities when they have gift card with purchase deals (not exactly a concern for you right now :rotfl:).

I hope you can find a use for it or are able to return them.

I've learned the hard way that if you pay for any part of your Target purchase with a gift card your ENTIRE refund will be on a gift card. $200 paid for with $5 gift card (rebate for beauty products) + $195 on Red Card...return any item/s from that purchase and your entire refund is on a gift card. So please don't buy something and think you'll get it refunded to your Red Card.

What a tough choice to make! My first choice would be to sell them online for minimal loss. Second, to use them for everyday household purchases. Good luck!

I'm glad you mentioned this. That has happened to me and I completely forgot about it.

This is news to me . I did see it mentioned up thread . and Target dot com confirms it . . .
Can I return a Target GiftCard?
Physical Target GiftCards can be returned in store with a receipt if unused. <<

Target Mobile GiftCards and Target eGiftCards purchased on Target.com cannot be returned or redeemed for cash or credit except where required by law.

I do occasionally buy everyday items at Target but they are generally priced higher than other places.

I wonder if this depends on location. Our Target is across the street from Walmart and about a block from Costco. Target might be priced 5.99 while Walmart is 5.88, for example, but I can still do better at Target with my red card discount. And with Target's frequent "buy three and get a $10 gift card" on household items, I can beat Costco.

Can you no longer use them to buy other gift cards? They never expire so you could use them for registry gifts etc

Can you no longer use them to buy other gift cards? They never expire so you could use them for registry gifts etc

Target changed its policy early last year and no longer allows you to pay for other GC with Target GC. But you can still use your Red Card to purchase entertainment GC and get the 5% discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter