• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GF or CSR...is the GF worth the extra money?

Hey there, I've stayed at every Disney Resort except Beach club and Saratoga Springs. We're local and I find every excuse to go according to my husband. On our honeymoon we stayed at the Grand Floridian. With kids in your age range I would say definitely try something else. Not worth the price! For the extra money you would be saving, you could take them on carriage rides, a wishes cruise, boat rides and you could eat in any restaurant and still have loads left over. I bet if you asked your kids they would rather spend the extra money on activities. Stayed at CSR a few times, one of my favorites, but a very business oriented resort and you are paying extra gratuity for the food court which is retarded in my opinion.
I would think with kids your age they would enjoy the Animal Kingdom Lodge or the Wilderness Lodge tons better. I have booked both of those resorts for a much cheaper rate than I have ever gotten at the GF.
BTW, my favorite mod for kids is the CBR or PORS. They both have lots of water activities.
Thanks
Disneybride2005

When was your last stay Carol? If it was over 2 years ago you really should try it again. You obviously had a poor stay as you bring it up in most GF threads. Maybe you should try it again, you never know you might change your mind? Or not....

This was when it first opened and I've had other people tell me they've gotten the same reaction. It doesn't really bother me...it does bother my husband. And you are right...it's just not our style. But that's what great about Disney--it has something for everyone.

I know thats why I love Disney....:goodvibes :thumbsup2

the toiletries are wonderful -- although Disney is very, very stingy with them.

We have always received much more than we need. If you need more just call and ask.

We have only stayed at the CSR and our boys loved it--more so than the Contemporary and Polynesian. We have never stayed at the GF and have no desire to. We stopped at the resort once to look around and we didn't care for the way some people looked at you because you weren't dressed in "nice shorts and a collared shirt"--just too stuffy for us.

Just curious? What were you wearing?
I don't think i have ever worn a collard shirt at the GF.
I stayed at the GF once. I have stayed at a lot of nice and not so nice hotels. The GF has ONE distinction. BIGGEST RIP OFF!!!! Yes it's pretty. No you are not "pampered" or living in luxury. If you want either of these, the Ritz Carlton is very close and generally the same or lower priced!

I also think you should try the GF again instead of complaining on every thread that asks about the GF. Your posts always sound do angry :confused3

Did you really wait 45 minutes for your car to be brought around?
45? Each time?
I usually call from my room and the car is waiting.
And if i waited more than 10, much less 45, minutes i doubt id use it again.

If they build a ritz across from the MK i might consider staying there.

The GF is one of the best locations especially if you have kids.

I never use buses anymore. Cabs are quicker, no waiting, no crowds, no smelly people, and they aren't expensive.

To me... that would be a negative instead of a positive. My kids watch enough TV as it is.

The tv in the cabana is for you to relax when your kids are in the pool. :thumbsup2

My DH and I are planning on taking the kids to WDW in May, 2009. We would be going for 7 nights/8 days. We have been trying to get back to WDW since 2005 and something always happens and money has been tight. My DH got an extra large bonus this year (almost triple!) and we finally have the money to go. We are concerned about spending the extra money at GF. It looks great and it seems like you will be pampered more but is it really worth the extra money? We do plan on spending at least 1 full day at the resort. A few of the things we liked about GF is of course the monorail but also that they have a cabana you can rent by the pool with a TV. Does CSR offer something like that? Do any other resorts have cabanas you can rent by the pool?

What do you think? GF or CSR?

TIA,
Loralie

I would pick the GF over CSR at any price. Have you looked into the 4/3 special that WDW is running?:banana:

I don't think this has been mentioned. The GF is very girly. Pink, Victorian and frilly are words that come to mind. I'm a girl, so I think it's lovely. I don't imagine that most boys would feel the same way. If you really want a monorail resort, I would imagine the boys might like the Contemporary a bit better? I think they would probably love the Wilderness Lodge, but that's not on the monorail. If you're thinking of non-MK resorts, I bet your boys would love the Beach Club, if only for Stormalong Bay...

I'm kind of curious as to why you are deciding between GF and CSR....

We have always found Disney's bus and boat service to be excellent. The first time I planned a trip, I did think seriously about booking a monorail resort because I thought it would make a big difference. Having spent some time at the monorail resorts and having stayed elsewhere, I don't know -- I don't think it's THAT big of a deal. If you have people with ambulatory problems, very small children or will be spending most of your time at MK, the argument for monorail resorts becomes stronger.

I would pick the GF over CSR at any price. Have you looked into the 4/3 special that WDW is running?:banana:
Not me, I would never pay those prices for a place to sleep and receive the same level of service as a mod or value.

Just curious? What were you wearing?
I don't think i have ever worn a collard shirt at the GF.

Not that it should make a difference what I was wearing (unless it was dinner at a signature restaurant--which we don't do at Disney), I was wearing a pair of shorts and a Minnie Mouse t-shirt. Like I said, my husband was more upset than I was. I truly don't give a hoot what people think about me. We are simple people who live simple lives. We don't need fancy rooms with glass fixtures, canopies, etc. We don't spend much time in the room anyway...we're either at the parks or at the pool (or I'm at the spa getting a massage) so it definitely is not worth the money to us...especially when putting two boys through college.

Like I said before, that is what is great about Disney--there is something for everyone.

Value propositions are tricky. We love the GF. It's a lovely resort and we really like the monorail access. IMHO, it definitely makes traveling to the other resorts (in the monorail and epcot area) to eat super easy. The boat to WL and FW (for the hoop de doo review and the cook-out), which connects at the MK, is convenient too. We've never rented a pool cabana and it might be a good idea to check out the GF thread to get the details on advance booking the cabana - it wouldn't be fun to get to the GF and find out that they have all been booked for the day you planned to spend at the resort - the ladies on that thread are super helpful. I don't know about pampered though - we think it's a beautiful, convenient, well managed, and relaxing resort and definitely one of our favorites.

Having said that we have never stayed at CSR but are looking forward to our first stay in the club level rooms in April (I'm SO excited :banana: ). The new rooms look beautiful and it will be fun to try a new resort. Be sure to check on the CSR thread about the room renovation schedule. I think only the club level rooms are guaranteed to be finished by January. Would you be disappointed if you were not in a renovated room? We also book a lot of dining at the other resorts so we are prepared to take taxis if the bus isn't convenient.

Some things you might want to ask yourself: Is your husband happy to stay in a mod or would he prefer a more "hotel" type of atmosphere? Also, how important is the extra money to you? It might sound like an odd question but if you think you might be disappointed with the GF - would it dampen the mood of your vacation thinking about the money you could have saved?

My suggestion would be to do a split stay if you aren't doing the 4-3 deal or getting a great rate. This way you can really enjoy the GF and spend a day relaxing poolside in your cabana, and also save a little money by spending a few nights at a slightly more budget friendly resort. IMO, it's the best of both worlds. Good luck deciding! :goodvibes

I would go either GF, Poly or YC/BC -All are great resorts. GF and Poly have the convenience of the monorail, GF is the only resort that has the cabanas. YC/BC have the most amazing pool of all the resorts and you can walk or take the ferry to EPCOT and take the ferry over to DHS. With the ages of your kids I think I might go YC/BC, but we love all four of these resorts -check my sig!

A big rip off in your mind...but to others it is not. That is your opinion....
You say you only stayed once...I have stayed multiple times and have found it to be fabulous and I have to say I have been treated GRANDLY! Pampered??? thats spa talk and can get that at home.....
Also, if All Stars is the same as the GF why don't personalities, presidents, princesses,etc stay there then??? HMMMMMM.........or why dont they stay at the Ritz and cab or limo over to Disney then???
Valet service has been phoenominal everytime and we always drive to DD, AK and DHS....way better than taking a bus regardless if we are first or last off.
To the OP if you can try the GF it is truly grand and magical....im not even going to compare it to a moderate (and yes Ihave stayed at all of the mods)

After spending that much money to be treated rudely by the front desk, to wait 45 minutes on my car and other issues... why should I give them a second chance?

At that price point you don't get second chances! At the All Star price point, maybe!

I have stayed at all the mods, all the values and MOST of the Deluxes. GF was the biggest disappointment. Now I no longer will stay Deluxe. Pricing is too high for what you get IMHO!

After spending that much money to be treated rudely by the front desk, to wait 45 minutes on my car and other issues... why should I give them a second chance?

At that price point you don't get second chances! At the All Star price point, maybe!

I have stayed at all the mods, all the values and MOST of the Deluxes. GF was the biggest disappointment. Now I no longer will stay Deluxe. Pricing is too high for what you get IMHO!

I didnt ask for you to give them a second chance.....:rolleyes1 More Room For Me!!!!!!:banana: :yay: :cool1: :thumbsup2

CSR!! Great main pool area, awesome transportation, and terrific food options. Check out my CSR website below for pics and info. CSR now has queen beds in all the rooms and will have club level rooms as of 01/2009!!

11kfg3p.jpg

ostjs3.jpg

2igcfa0.jpg

2vijc02.jpg

5vvfi0.jpg

2quuj2q.jpg

I stayed at the GF once. I have stayed at a lot of nice and not so nice hotels. The GF has ONE distinction. BIGGEST RIP OFF!!!! Yes it's pretty. No you are not "pampered" or living in luxury. If you want either of these, the Ritz Carlton is very close and generally the same or lower priced!

Service was not really any better then the All Stars. Parking was a NIGHTMARE. (Self parking was a long way away. Valet took around 45 minutes EACH time! I think they park those cars at Epcot!) Transportation is BAD. Sorry, but you are the LAST stop for the buses to DTD, Studios and AK. So the bus is full and on the way back you get to tour CR and Poly. For those prices I don't think that's really good. To get to Epcot. Get on monorail. (once again last stop so its full to!)

And as to "amenties" what are you getting at GF that you don't get at a moderate? Hand lotion? Hmm.... Seriously, what? I can't think of a thing except MAYBE room service. I understand that IF you ask you MIGHT get turn down. At a true deluxe that's a standard feature.
IMHO I would stay at CSR or another moderate. If you want to splurge and say in luxury go to the Ritz. YOu say money's tight. Put the extra money away for a future trip.

Turndown is standard for every room at the GF. You don't need to ask for it!

The value of something is truly personal. I for one would never buy expensive cars or jewelry or clothing but many enjoy that. CSR is one of the nicest moderates on Disney problem but it is not the Grand Floridian.

As to what the Grand offers that makes it worth the money to me is valet parking, curb side luggage assistance, friendly greeter, magnificient grand lobby with entertainment, extensively landscaped grounds, two very nice pools, one with cabanas, one of the best counter service resturants at Disney, multiple dining choices, in room dining, concierge services, large spacious rooms with deluxe bedding, interior hallways, spa services, children's programs, afternoon tea, fabulous views of the Magic Kingdom, view of the Electrical Water pageant, fireworks views and the some of the best service we have ever received in traveling.

That is why the Grand is Grand to me. :thumbsup2

The value of something is truly personal. I for one would never buy expensive cars or jewelry or clothing but many enjoy that. CSR is one of the nicest moderates on Disney problem but it is not the Grand Floridian.

As to what the Grand offers that makes it worth the money to me is valet parking, curb side luggage assistance, friendly greeter, magnificient grand lobby with entertainment, extensively landscaped grounds, two very nice pools, one with cabanas, one of the best counter service resturants at Disney, multiple dining choices, in room dining, concierge services, large spacious rooms with deluxe bedding, interior hallways, spa services, children's programs, afternoon tea, fabulous views of the Magic Kingdom, view of the Electrical Water pageant, fireworks views and the some of the best service we have ever received in traveling.

That is why the Grand is Grand to me. :thumbsup2

Nicely said, and I concur! :goodvibes

I think the point everyone is trying to make is that you have beat that poor ole GF horse to death.

If you truly feel that pricing is too high for what you get then, simply state that. As to service at the Grand Floridian, you experienced something that happened years ago and while that might be enough to keep you away forever, is not a reflection of the current staff at the Grand Floridian, for the staff that was there during your stay is no longer there.

So yes you can say you don't feel what they offer in amenties warrants the cost, but to criticize the current staff is unfounded because you have no experience with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter