• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Getting on and off bus with scooter, any tips?

bcinohio

DIS Veteran
Getting my mom a scooter for the first time. Staying at ASMU in 10 days. Any tips on how to get on and off the buses with a scooter? do you have to back in on the ramp to get on? do you back off on go forward?

Does the rest of your party get on at the same time as person in scooter or do they wait in the regular line? there will be 4 others of us plus mom on the scooter. Don't want to make people angry, trying to find out all I can since it is our first trip with a scooter. It took a lot to talk her into one want it to go as smooth as possible.

thanks

You drive in and out with your ECV. The older buses (do not think they are any left) that had lifts you had to back into the lift. Use the turtle (slow) speed. Once on the bus need to parallel park the unit. If she is uncomfortable someone else could drive the unit onto the bus. I think it is the user + 5 guests can board at the same time.

Her ECV will have a dial that controls its speed. One end has a turtle (slow) and the opposite end a rabbit (fast). She wants to drive up the bus ramp with the control in the middle, that is, half way between turtle and rabbit. As soon as she is up the ramp she should pause and turn the dial all the way down to slowest turtle. The she makes a right turn to line up down the aisle and backs into the spot the driver will have cleared. It is just like parallel parking a car. Most likely the bus driver will offer to help get her into place. Let the driver help, they are experts. Once parked, she will transfer from the ECV into a regular seat and the remainder of her party (up to 5 people) will be allowed to board through the rear door.

When getting off the bus, all the other people including her party get off. The driver will unhook the ECV and help her get angled to drive down the ramp. Again, turtle mode is best and make sure to keep straight until she is all the way clear of the ramp. The ramp has an edge on it and if she tries to turn to soon, she can tip over. Someone from my party usually stands outside the bus by the back door and tells me when I have cleared the ramp and can turn to take off to the park.

Some of the bus ramps that flip out have a center stripe - so just drive straight up the middle until the back wheels have cleared the ramp inside the bus.

Another tip for first timers - I have seen people drive up the ramps with their feet out to the sides (like a little kid holding their feet out on a bike!) and nearly get their feet caught on the sides of the doors. So, feet firmly on the floor of the ECV!

Otherwise, as others have said - just don't worry. Tell her to take her time, and if she has a chance, to watch a couple of other folks board the buses first - she will quickly see how easy it is. It will be second nature by the time you all are ready to go home!

Coming off the bus the number one thing that drivers will stress is to make sure that your back wheels have cleared the end of the ramp before trying to turn the ECV to the right or left.

If you have the time in your schedule, you can always ride the bus back and forth to Disney Springs; that's a great way to "practice" (especially in the day time) not only loading and unloading from the bus, but also basic driving skills.

Let us know if you - or she - has any further questions! :)

Thanks everyone. this is great info. It makes me feel better that is seems to be easier than what I was thinking. She told us we had to walk in front of her so if she hit someone it would be someone she knew!

Be prepared to do this for your mother. I find going on and off the buses to be the hardest especially if you are not the first one to load. Obviously people do it all the time, but it's a little challenging. If she drives a car she will be better at scootering. Between the battery issues and the buses this is why some just rent scooters at the parks even if costs more.

Scooters and wheelchairs get on first, but get off last. You don't want to bump another wheelchair or scooter.

I would have your mom practice with the scooter at the resort. You can even practice at home at the local stores, but those scooters are actually harder. You can even go to a local zoo for a day and get a scooter there and practice for the day.

If she is unsure, have her get off the scooter and ask the bus driver to load it and unload it for her. They are experts and do it very quickly. Sometimes I think they prefer to do it, because it is quicker than some of us having problems with it. It wouldn't hurt to tip them at the end of each bus ride.

If she is unsure, have her get off the scooter and ask the bus driver to load it and unload it for her. They are experts and do it very quickly. Sometimes I think they prefer to do it, because it is quicker than some of us having problems with it. It wouldn't hurt to tip them at the end of each bus ride.

This is news to me. It's great to hear if indeed this is done. There may be an exception here and there where a driver may help some, but I believe this is more of an exception. I would love to hear from others who got this service.

They can't accept tips it not a tipped position they could get fired if caught. Disney strict with non tipped postions excepting tips as are most company's.

It also Disney policy that they not touch the ecv or wheelchair but most will help out by if you get one who won't park it because their being a bad driver. They my just want to follow the policy more and also be newer. But all should get verbal help if needed they will do what ever they can and need to do to help you.

This is news to me. It's great to hear if indeed this is done. There may be an exception here and there where a driver may help some, but I believe this is more of an exception. I would love to hear from others who got this service.

They can't accept tips it not a tipped position they could get fired if caught. Disney strict with non tipped postions excepting tips as are most company's.

It also Disney policy that they not touch the ecv or wheelchair but most will help out by if you get one who won't park it because their being a bad driver. They my just want to follow the policy more and also be newer. But all should get verbal help if needed they will do what ever they can and need to do to help you.

@Jane Eyre - Both @Bete and @disney david are correct - with an exception. Let me explain:

There are 2 kinds of bus drivers at WDW: The drivers who work for DME (Disney's Magic Express) (and the DCL buses are included in this) and the the drivers who drive for Disney only inside the boundaries of WDW. For our purposes, we will call them DME drivers and WDW drivers.

DME drivers make runs to/from Resort Hotels, Orlando's MCO airport & the DCL using buses owned by MEARS. They are (someone correct me if I'm wrong) employed by MEARS, not WDW directly. These drivers CAN - and will - load your ECV or wheelchair or other medical equipment under the bus in the luggage hold. They also handle luggage for passengers. DME drivers will assist with loading/unloading from the external lift platform on the DME buses, however they are NOT allowed to drive or push the device onto or off of the platform; the Guest must be seated on the device and capable of driving it on/off and parking it while the platform is in motion.

WDW drivers only drive Guests within the boundaries of WDW property, using buses owned by Disney. These WDW drivers are employed directly by Disney. These drivers CANNOT load your mobility device or equipment on or off the bus, however they are allowed to provide a small amount of "assistance" with parking the device (once it is inside the bus) so that the device can be properly tied down for transit. They are also allowed to "guide" Guests when disembarking by standing at the end of the ramp outside the bus and giving direction ("turn your wheels left", etc.) As with many Cast Member positions at WDW, they are NOT allowed to accept tips from Guests. However, they LOVE to chat with Guests, and like any hard-working CM, they truly appreciate a heart-felt thank you.

If a Guest is not able to safely drive their mobility or assistive device on to or off of the bus, typically a family member or traveling companion will assist them. If no one was available, they could ask another nearby Guest to assist them, but the bus drivers (and this all applies, BTW, to Monorail CM's and boat Captains & CM's as well) are not allowed to load or unload any device, regardless of circumstance, within the internal WDW transportation system.

Guests at WDW are generally expected to be able to fully operate and manage any mobility device they use while on property, regardless of if it is a rental or personally owned.

@Jane Eyre - Both @Bete and @disney david are correct - with an exception. Let me explain:

There are 2 kinds of bus drivers at WDW: The drivers who work for DME (Disney's Magic Express) (and the DCL buses are included in this) and the the drivers who drive for Disney only inside the boundaries of WDW. For our purposes, we will call them DME drivers and WDW drivers.

DME drivers make runs to/from Resort Hotels, Orlando's MCO airport & the DCL using buses owned by MEARS. They are (someone correct me if I'm wrong) employed by MEARS, not WDW directly. These drivers CAN - and will - load your ECV or wheelchair or other medical equipment under the bus in the luggage hold. They also handle luggage for passengers. DME drivers will assist with loading/unloading from the external lift platform on the DME buses, however they are NOT allowed to drive or push the device onto or off of the platform; the Guest must be seated on the device and capable of driving it on/off and parking it while the platform is in motion.

WDW drivers only drive Guests within the boundaries of WDW property, using buses owned by Disney. These WDW drivers are employed directly by Disney. These drivers CANNOT load your mobility device or equipment on or off the bus, however they are allowed to provide a small amount of "assistance" with parking the device (once it is inside the bus) so that the device can be properly tied down for transit. They are also allowed to "guide" Guests when disembarking by standing at the end of the ramp outside the bus and giving direction ("turn your wheels left", etc.) As with many Cast Member positions at WDW, they are NOT allowed to accept tips from Guests. However, they LOVE to chat with Guests, and like any hard-working CM, they truly appreciate a heart-felt thank you.

If a Guest is not able to safely drive their mobility or assistive device on to or off of the bus, typically a family member or traveling companion will assist them. If no one was available, they could ask another nearby Guest to assist them, but the bus drivers (and this all applies, BTW, to Monorail CM's and boat Captains & CM's as well) are not allowed to load or unload any device, regardless of circumstance, within the internal WDW transportation system.

Guests at WDW are generally expected to be able to fully operate and manage any mobility device they use while on property, regardless of if it is a rental or personally owned.

Thank you I forget got about mears yes they can be tipped they are mears employees not Disney. But a lot of them are ex Disney bus drivers mears poached them when they got the contract to o be the bus provider for tours, Disney cruise and magical express.

Thank you to everyone who helped with info for using a scooter for the first time. My mom loved it. It took some talking her into it at first but once she got on it she loved it. She felt so much better. It was easy to drive and get around in. She would park it and go into rides if the wait wasn't too long or drive it in if it was a longer wait. She didn't like to back up so she had my husband put it on and off the bus. The bus drivers were all really great about helping. The bad part was how people would cut her off while she was driving it. We tried to walk on all sides of her so they couldn't but some people just didn't care and would cut her off.

It was a very good experience for us and will do it again. We rented from Buena Vista scooters and it was waiting for us at the resort when we checked in.

I'm really interested to read about the policy that bus drivers cannot load your mobility device. I've been to WDW many times over the years and have had some lovely experienced with drivers, but can honestly say my WORST moments in WDW have been to do with the bus drivers. On a couple of occasions in 2014 I was made to get off my ECV while they parked it for me even though I really didn't want to. I am an experienced driver and actually very good at parking, reversing and all the rest of it, but before I'd even boarded the bus I've had them literally insist they did it. It's really upset me and made me uncomfortable every time it's happened, and loading my ECV onto the bus is the one part of the trip I dread.

So when did the policy come in that drivers can't drive your device? I'm going to try on my next trip to politely but firmly say "thank you, but I've got this" but the whole experience is very stressful particularly when some impatient and exhausted other guests are watching and waiting to board too. The only time my driving manoeuvres go wrong is when I'm feeing stressed by the driver and other guests! How do you guys handle the pressure?!

I'm really interested to read about the policy that bus drivers cannot load your mobility device. I've been to WDW many times over the years and have had some lovely experienced with drivers, but can honestly say my WORST moments in WDW have been to do with the bus drivers. On a couple of occasions in 2014 I was made to get off my ECV while they parked it for me even though I really didn't want to. I am an experienced driver and actually very good at parking, reversing and all the rest of it, but before I'd even boarded the bus I've had them literally insist they did it. It's really upset me and made me uncomfortable every time it's happened, and loading my ECV onto the bus is the one part of the trip I dread.

So when did the policy come in that drivers can't drive your device? I'm going to try on my next trip to politely but firmly say "thank you, but I've got this" but the whole experience is very stressful particularly when some impatient and exhausted other guests are watching and waiting to board too. The only time my driving manoeuvres go wrong is when I'm feeing stressed by the driver and other guests! How do you guys handle the pressure?!

Heir not allowed to touch them it against Disney policy so if they insist just say no thanks but thank you for offering. And if they ask again ask to speak to their manager or lead about them wanting to touch your ecv which is away at Disney policy.

I don't think their doing it to be mean or rude it more to help and other guest ask them to help so they may just not think not every guest want them to. They do it more to be helpfully and to try and take the stress away for the guest and to speed up the loading but they also need to learn when to back off. Not every guest wants or needs help loading the ecv and they should just stay in the bus unless asked for it.

So just ask to speak to their lead nicely that should do the trick if they want to call the lead then. You can explain to the lead that what happening and they should take care of the problem. All their allowed by Disney policy is to offer verbal help but lots of guest do ask them to park it so they have to read the guest and see what their comfortable with.

If a driver ever makes you feel to uncomfortable to ask and wait for a lead or manager. Just get the drivers name bus number dot number be by the back tire when you board with your ecv it say fl dot then be a number. Time of day pick up location and where the bus was heading. At each resort bus stop their a phone or any WDW house phone press zero ask operator to transfer a transportation bus department manager each mode of transportation has their own manageners. And tell them what heppened if they want to meet you they will come to you so just let them know what resort your staying at.

If it happened while your boarding the bus to the park from your resort you can do the same call or each park has a bus info kiosk. It staffed by drivers or bus dispatchers you could ask them to call for a lead if their not one their already.

Just saying no driver should pressure or make you not want to ride the bus. Their taking what they think being helpfully and turning it into something that not.

I just say sir or madam I rather drive it up my self and park it thank you for the offer of help. If needed more one more time thank you for you being so nice to offer but I rather follow Disney policy and handle my own ecv. Not that I trust you but if something happens I hate for you to get in trouble when Disney has to pay to fix it thanks. Or something like that

If there are already people sitting on the bus, you're better off to allow the driver to load it. I'm a good driver and parallel park it with ease usually in one swing, but if there are people sitting along the sides, in todays "sue happy" world, I don't want to risk bumping someone.

I have had a few drivers try to "help" me from time to time, but it's always been when the buses were full, and/or there was a sizable crowd waiting to board.

I think this driver behavior that you have experienced is coming from a place of experience; there are SO many folks who show up at WDW, never having driven an ECV before, and the very first thing they try to do with their rental is board the ding dang bus! It's why a lot of the folks here in this forum will recommend "practicing" with your rental first - even 5 minutes of driving around, seeing how tight it will turn, how fast it stops, and how it feels going up and down sidewalk curb cuts/ramps can make a huge difference.

So, from the driver's perspective, it's "here comes another one!" and s/he makes the assumption that you or I aren't experienced - at all or enough - to handle driving up/down the ramp and parking.

The few times I have had a driver try to "help" me too much, I just give them my biggest smile, and politely say "Hey, thanks, but I've got this!" or "I appreciate the offer, but I'm really experienced at this!" or something similar. If they would let me, I would put the tie-downs on/off and run the ramp myself too! LOL

As far as feeling the pressure, here's what you need to remember: Yes, you get on the bus first - but you are also the last one off the bus. The few minutes it may take to load you and your mobility device are completely offset for the able-bodied riders at the end of the ride, when they jump off the bus, and are already through Security before you have rolled away from the bus.

I've had zero issues with other Guests recently; every now and again you'll catch someone giving you the side-eye, but if I do, I just smile and wave to them... and then if I see them at the Resort again, I make sure I smile and wave. Every time. ;)

By seizing control of the interaction with the driver, you will most likely feel much less pressure - and when the bus empties out, and it's just you, the driver and your device, be sure to thank them for all of their help. They really are the unsung heroes of WDW, and they put up with a lot of crap from Guests every day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter