• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Getting a king bed with 3 year old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
aylarosie said:
Why not ask for a portable crib,even if not used .Let CM at booking time know correct age of child.Most children 15 months and older are walking so in an emergency technically they to would take up space in corrider.I would bet that in an emergency with only one child a parent would be carrying any child they physically could to safety. Seems that one child should be able to share room if under 5 yrs and parents want king bed.

Again, the statute is specific, any child over the age of 2 can potentially walk on their own.

I know people have their opinions, but the NFPA is very specific, totally based on previous loss of life in a fire and then they update the code accordingly.

While I do understand that Disney can make whatever rules they see fit, I had an experience at POR that made me think that they aren't as strict with their fire code as the dis boards are. When we had an issue with a very smokey room a few years ago as a family of 5, they were booked solid and did not have another AB room to move us to. THEY suggested moving us to a room in the mansions and giving us a rollaway for our third child. When I questioned them about the fire code and the occupancy limit being 4 in the mansions, they told us they make exceptions all the time.

Before this experience, I had always read on these boards about their strict fire code policy, but at least one manager at POR seemed to have no problems bending the policy when it suited them.

Fire code and Disney occupancy rules are 2 different things. It's possible the fire code is more but Disney chooses to use a lower number. If it really was fire code, they would not be making exceptions.

When we went in 2010, I booked a king room. My DH is a big guy and tall, so he's much more comfortable in a king. Our DD was 4 1/2, they knew she was 4 1/2 and told us that in the king room there would be a daybed. We were afraid she wouldn't sleep by herself with us right there, but as soon as her little head hit that pillow, she was in a coma until the next morning. :goodvibes

When I booked for this trip, I talked to the CM and asked if we could again book a king room w/ a daybed and we did. The daybed turns into a bed and our DD will sleep on that. Now, I'm not sure if all the resorts have that option, but it was an option for us at the GF.

That's what we're requesting at AKL. A king with daybed. DS6 will get the daybed and DD2 will either sleep in bed with us, with her brother depending on size of daybed when it pulls out, or on her toddler air mattress that's the size of a crib. She won't sleep in the pack n play...

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

If you aren't using a package, just booking a hotel room, then just book it for the two of you. Then when you check in, just have DH or you take her for a walk. It's not like she needs her own key, and you aren't cheating anyone (you wouldn't be paying more if they knew she was there). In reality I get the occupancy limits, but common sense tells you that they have to make allowances for wiggle room if they'd let a 2 year old stay. The fire dept doesn't care how old - a person is a person for head count.

Why do they have to make allowances for wiggle room? Not sure what you are getting at.

While I do understand that Disney can make whatever rules they see fit, I had an experience at POR that made me think that they aren't as strict with their fire code as the dis boards are. When we had an issue with a very smokey room a few years ago as a family of 5, they were booked solid and did not have another AB room to move us to. THEY suggested moving us to a room in the mansions and giving us a rollaway for our third child. When I questioned them about the fire code and the occupancy limit being 4 in the mansions, they told us they make exceptions all the time.

Before this experience, I had always read on these boards about their strict fire code policy, but at least one manager at POR seemed to have no problems bending the policy when it suited them.

And once Disney did that, I'll bet you they crossed their fingers nothing happened but documented what THEY did. THEY basically threw the spaghetti up against the wall and hoped it stuck. THEY knew if something happened THEY were screwed. THEY rolled the dice and I'll bet that doesn't happen very often.

I'm afraid it's simpler than all this. Disney's property -- Disney's rules. If you don't agree, you are welcome to stay elsewhere. Or book a room or suite that does meet your needs.

Yes, it's sucks. But THOSE are the two available choices.

This thread is closed.

DIS Posting Guidelines: http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm

Please note; Helpful posts about getting around Disney Policies can be deleted and infractions issued. This time, I'm just closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter