Germany Trip Report 2016 - Completed

Cousin Orville

Inventor of Air Cooling
Pre-night 1 - Disneyland Paris

Off we go again... to Germany! For this trip it's me and my 11yo DS, Gavin. After SE Asia, China, and Australia in the last few years, Gavin and I decided on something a little closer if not a little shorter. I gave him half a dozen options, and he chose Germany. Since Disneyland Paris is pretty close to Frankfort/Heidelberg where the Germany ABD starts, we decided spend our pre nights here at DLP. Gavin's never been. So, it made for a nice fit. This is an unusual trip for me, because I've planned so little of it. Even with ABD's I typically plan all details of the pre nights and the OYO time. Not here. We have 5 nights at DLP, and we'll take each day at a time. I'm familiar with Paris, so we'll likely go into town a couple of those days, but really no structured activities set or must see sites in Paris this time.

As was mentioned in another thread, we upgraded to business class on United to Paris and it made all the difference in the world. Gavin and I both got a lot of sleep and that helped us make the most of our first day. We arrived in the morning around 10am and had planned to take the TGV which is a 10 min ride from the airport, but the next train wasn't for a couple of hours so we took the DLP version of the Magical Express bus instead. It was ok, but it took an hour to get here. We're staying at the Disneyland Hotel. The security seems very tight. There are security barricades raised at the entrance gates at all hotels. All bags were sent through x-ray machines and I was wanded with a metal detector.

The Disneyland Hotel is lovely hotel. I ended up getting a great deal on the room many months in advance. I don't know if the hotel is worth the regular room rate, but it is a beautiful hotel and it's basically located at the entrance to DLP so when you're coming home from the park, it's nice to just to walk under the train station, enter the hotel and you're home.

We meandered around the parks most of the afternoon and evening. We ate lunch at the Golden Nugget (counter service), whose food is nothing special, but they have live entertainment a la Golden Horseshoe. There was a piano player, a singer, a ventriloquist?!, and a marionette show with Woody, Jessie, Bullseye, and Prospector Pete which was very cute.

Let's see, the hits for Gavin were Ratatouille (a trackless ride like Mystic Manor), the Alice in Wonderland Maze, and seeing the Jedi Training Academy in their indoor theater (where they lower the lights so everyone's lightsabers are lit up). My highlights were Ratatouille, Space Mountain, and just walking around the park. It's such a beautiful park.

That's enough for now! As usual as soon as I compress my photos I'll post them up as well. Cheers!

we were in DLP 2 weeks ago. If you want a change of pace, take the #50 Marne and Seine bus (not the pink buses) to Provins. It leaves on the hour from the farthest left bus stop across the bus bay from the DLP train station. It is a nice 45 minute ride thru the countryside. Provins has a 12th century castle you can explore. DD and DS (13) liked climbing the castle tower. It's a lovely very small town. 2 euros each way. We have taken the bus 2X. A few nice places to have lunch. We usually take a 10 or 11 bus and return at 3 or 4.

27889008554_a950a032df_c.jpg

27889010014_9c69a344c9_c.jpg

28427571581_967a1dff0a_c.jpg

27889011454_6d84093411_c.jpg

27889037294_e68f065141_c.jpg

27889861073_4544be89da_c.jpg

28505700265_2fef31df9e_c.jpg

28505703035_17e8f6cc05_c.jpg

28222332310_185518d947_c.jpg

28222277520_17f3faac95_c.jpg

28505472845_cf7ff88611_c.jpg

28222093370_8e973e0299_c.jpg

28400788802_d8b14abaea_c.jpg

we were in DLP 2 weeks ago. If you want a change of pace, take the #50 Marne and Seine bus (not the pink buses) to Provins. It leaves on the hour from the farthest left bus stop across the bus bay from the DLP train station. It is a nice 45 minute ride thru the countryside. Provins has a 12th century castle you can explore. DD and DS (13) liked climbing the castle tower. It's a lovely very small town. 2 euros each way. We have taken the bus 2X. A few nice places to have lunch. We usually take a 10 or 11 bus and return at 3 or 4.

That's a great idea. I checked it out the pictures on tripadvisor. Provins looks very picturesque. I'm guessing it's pretty straight forward coming back? You just find the bus back to "Chessy"? I've never ridden a public bus in France - do you just pay the driver?

yes. just pay 2 euros PP each way on the bus. It's a nice bus with reclining seats. You want the Provins (ville) stop, not the Provins SNCF (train station) stop. Just ask the driver "Vous allez a Provins Vieux Ville?" This will confirm that you are on the correct bus (but it will say Provins on the bus), plus let him know that's where you want to get off, but it will be obvious to you when you get there. The train station is the stop after the town. You will make a few whistle stops thru small villages. Don't worry, Provins is a stop where he turns off the road into the town and actually pulls up at a small bus bay with a covered waiting area (looks sort of like a picnic pavillion without tables, just 2 benches). You can also look at the estimated time of arrival on the chart at the bus stop and judge where you are by that.
There is a tourist office across the small road, bathrooms and gift shop. Then you just walked 200 feet down the small road towards the town gate. It's really simple, very safe, IMHO. The only tricky part is to make sure you get on the bus to Chessy (at 7 after the hour, I think), not the bus right before, which is going to SNCF. You can confirm with the driver, "C'est le bus a Chessy?" There is only the SNCF bus and then the Chessy bus pulling up during that time. It's very small, not like the DLP bus station with many buses. We liked it so much our 1st time, that we went back again on this trip.
Also, the tourist info center kiosk right outside of DLP by the train station had brochures about Provins 2 weeks ago. There is also a medieval show, dinner, etc. but we have never done that, as we prefer an easy 1/2 day with just exploring the small village and castle.

Pre-Night 2 Disneyland Paris

This will be a quick entry as we essentially stayed around DLP for the day. We saw Mikey and the Magician which opened very recently in Walt Disney Studios. It's a wonderful show. It reminded me of some of the shows on DCL with Mickey having one evening to find his Magic while cleaning up the Magician's studio. Before the moon sets, he's met by Genie, The Ferry Godmother, Lumiere, Rafiki, and Elsa who all sing a song, show an illusion or two, and teach Mickey an important lesson before he puts everyone's advice all together just in the nick of time. It was actually quite fun. I can see them moving this show over stateside or putting it on a ship.

We rode a few new rides and some favorites again from yesterday. Tonight we dined at Remy. It was cute. Arguably not worth the money, but the atmosphere was very impressive. You're the size of a Rat and in Remy's personal restaurant. It ties in nicely to the final scene of the Ratatouille ride as well. I enjoyed my meal, but it was definitely pricey for what you got.

Tonight we watched Dreams, DL's night time spectacular which used castle projection, water screens, fog, fire, smaller fireworks, fountains. The story basically follows Peter Pan trying to find his shadow or something like that. It was an impressive show. I like World of Color better, but this might be my next favorite of all the parks I've been to.

That's it for today. Decided to head into Paris for the day tomorrow to do something I've never done before...

Last edited:

Pre-Night 3 Paris
Part 1

After staying up to watch Dreams last night, we slept in for a while. It was probably 11 by the time we got out of the hotel. We decided to head into Paris for the day. Paris is still one of my favorite cities anywhere, but I had not yet been up to Sacre Coeur. I used a new app (for me at least) Rome2Rio. Pretty impressive. It tells you all the ways to get from one place to another including trains, how long it takes, and costs.

We made the long climb up to Sacre Coeur. Beautiful views.

27931344064_cb50b12c30_c.jpg

27930658764_f548305174_c.jpg

From there we headed down to the Museum d’Orsay. Unfortunately when we got there we found out it’s closed on Mondays. The drawbacks of not planning out your days. Oh well. We went over to de l'orangerie, the nearby museum with Monet’s water lilies. This is a great stop, as the museum itself is small, but the presentation of the water lily paintings is perfect. There’s 2 big rooms where you are surrounded by the paintings.

28516009046_355143c2bb_c.jpg

27932019323_fb5d871a7b_c.jpg

There’s also an impressive collection downstairs. I think it rotates, but I might be wrong. Today they had a number of Cezanne and Renoir’s.

28515481866_327382d36d_c.jpg

From here we walked through the park down to the Louvre trying unsuccessfully to hunt Pokemon…

28516041296_195cba6c16_c.jpg

28442053372_a6c9373980_c.jpg

28470558751_1f9a18d383_c.jpg

I’ve been a few times before… The Louvre is definitely a museum you just pick 1 or 2 things to see and be goal oriented. Not a museum IMO to just wander around. Gavin wanted to see the Mona Lisa which is easy enough. It feels like 90% of the visitors are doing the same thing, so you just follow the directional signs with Mona Lisa look for the crowds.

I title this next picture - “Totally Not Worth It”

28272067320_98e2cffd21_c.jpg

My fault. I’ve seen the Mona Lisa a few times before and have never waited in the crowds to get up to the front. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to do it today… Why? No idea. Once you get to the front, the painting isn’t significantly bigger than it was at the back of the crowd or to the side. Not worth it. :)

But Gavin did have that rite of passage that all who come to see it have, that it’s tiny. Really? Meh. The other da Vinci’s out in the nearby hall are better with far less crowds.

After Italian Renaissance (which is a nice area and has a lot more interesting paintings than just the Mona Lisa) Gavin was nice enough to let me go to the early early Greek (Cycladic) art area. I’m sure one of the most boring areas for kids, but other than Athens, this is pretty much the only museum that has some of these pieces. Gavin was cool enough to let me wander around here for a little while before we headed out.

27931487454_f30ec81cc4_c.jpg

I’ll pause it here as we’re about to head out. TTFN.

Last edited:
Great report so far! I think the Mona Lisa ranks up their with the Leaning Tower of Pisa in terms of disappointing (at least for me)! But, hey, check it off the list, right? :)

@ldo
Just wanted to say thanks! We're heading back from Provins right now on the bus. Great suggestion and perfect directions! We had a nice time. I'll write about it a little more in the trip report.

Thanks for your TR...you are so wonderful with just the right amount of detail and lovely pics.
I have to admit I was thrilled to see the Mona Lisa (or was that not to get pickpocketed?).
Can't wait to read more...

Last edited:
Pre-Night 3 Paris

Part 2

It was late afternoon when we headed over to Sainte-Chapelle cathedral. It’s a beautiful gothic church with an amazing array of stained glass.

28264497380_a59424b818_c.jpg

And so we headed back to the train station…

Upon arriving back to Disneyland, we had reservations at Walt’s on Main Street. DLP’s flagship restaurant. I thought it was spectacular. The food was a notch above most Signature WDW restaurants. It was expensive to be sure, but I liked it. Service was great.

Here’s the entrance with photos of Walt and a beautiful glass elevator.

They gave us a terrific table overlooking Main Street.

I had the Duck Pineapple Coleslaw starter which was very good. Gavin had the Caesar.

Lobster cooked in an orange sauce for my main. Delicious. Gavin had a steak which he ate most of and enjoyed.

We shared a lemon meringue pie as well, but ate it faster than I could remember to take a picture.

After dinner we walked around for a couple of hours and rode a few rides. Overall a good, but very tiring day.

Tomorrow we’re off to Provins in the countryside!

Last edited:
Cousin Orville! Loving the review and all the pics so far. Looks like the trip is off to a great start. Will be anxiously awaiting your report on Germany as that's one I've thought about. DS is such a cutie! He looks so much older this year--wasn't he with you in China?

Cousin Orville! Loving the review and all the pics so far. Looks like the trip is off to a great start. Will be anxiously awaiting your report on Germany as that's one I've thought about. DS is such a cutie! He looks so much older this year--wasn't he with you in China?

Thanks! Yes, he was on the China ABD a couple of years ago.

Was Rhi your german guide by chance?

Haven't made it there yet. I'm trying to post this in real time as much as possible. In another post I'll be all caught up. We have one more full day in DLP (tomorrow) before heading over to Germany.

Pre-Night 4 Provins

At ldo’s suggestion we took the bus out to Provins. As mentioned, it was an easy 1hr bus ride. We arrived at the edge of town outside the medieval gate. I had never heard of Provins, but it’s a famous Medieval town in the Champagne district that’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The main attractions are the medieval wall surrounding the town and the Cesar Tower a fortification from the 12th century. As you can see from the pictures, it was a charming, relaxing town. We climbed the wall and the tower. Had a little lunch and crepe desert. Overall, it’s a great option. For us it was perfect. I love Paris, but I didn’t feel the need to take the train into Paris more than once this trip. Provins was a nice balance to that.

27946194974_ed73e658b7_c.jpg

28279103130_1786f3e136_c.jpg

27946212014_df90f6fc94_c.jpg

28456665922_6c224b93e4_c.jpg

27947973663_e84fd0098f_c.jpg

28563406465_b64f7f76a7_c.jpg

27953942134_f435a26581_c.jpg

We headed back in the mid afternoon. Some pictures from the Disneyland Hotel.

28464050362_e1c76ae535_c.jpg

28464009202_43183f40fb_c.jpg

Afterwards we rested a bit in the room and headed into the parks for a couple of hours.

28464086982_d2ff1a0626_c.jpg

28538251226_92d1af2dcd_c.jpg

28464138542_c816644060_c.jpg

28286650630_ccbc40cda2_c.jpg

Overall it was a fun, and generally relaxing day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter