• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

German village in Southern California

alicenwonder99

DIS Veteran
When we were in So. Calif years ago, we happened across a German Village (touristy). I can't remember where it was, but I think we may have seen it as we were heading to Pasadena from Huntington Beach (but I could be wrong). Maybe we saw it from one of the expressways??? Sorry, so vague, but I just can't remember.

This place didn't have any rides, but it was filled with shops, a bakery, restaurants, etc. My family members who live in Pasadena said they have never heard of this place before.

If I remember correctly (and that would be stretching it...lol), I think it may have taken us around 1-2 hours to get back to Pasadena.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? We leave in 6 days for our next trip to California, and we wanted to stop there.

TIA

Mary

Hmmm, I don't know of such a place but perhaps it is Solvang up in Santa Barbara county, it has a cute Danish village with some features you described. Enjoy your stay in the Golden State!

I think you may be thinking about Alpine Village that is off the Harbor freeway around Torrance. That seems logical as it is in the direction of going from the South Bay to Pasadena. If you were driving north, it would have been on your left, right next to the freeway.

Could it be this?
http://www.alpinevillage.net/

I think you may be thinking about Alpine Village that is off the Harbor freeway around Torrance. That seems logical as it is in the direction of going from the South Bay to Pasadena. If you were driving north, it would have been on your left, right next to the freeway.

Could it be this?
http://www.alpinevillage.net/

No, it was definitely Old World Village, but now we want to stop at Alpine Village, too. Have you been there before? Is it worth a trip? We did a mapquest from my mom's house to Alpine Village and it said 25 minutes (hmmm...I bet it will take longer because of traffic).

Thanks. :yay: :yay:

Oh my.

Rouladen & Saurbraten.....:cool1:

How far are these places from DLR??

Great thread. :thumbsup2

hound :yay:

No, it was definitely Old World Village, but now we want to stop at Alpine Village, too. Have you been there before? Is it worth a trip? We did a mapquest from my mom's house to Alpine Village and it said 25 minutes (hmmm...I bet it will take longer because of traffic).

Thanks. :yay: :yay:

Well... before I was married.... I used to go there every Friday or Saturday night during Oktoberfest. My friends and I would make the 45 minute trek down the freeway to have some "fun". They had so many activities to do. I think it is worth the trip.

:banana:

Old World Village is about 11 miles from DLR according to Mapquest. Alpine Village is much further - I'd guess 30+ miles.

No, Alpine Village is not 30 miles away... it should be no more than a 30 minute ride on the roads/freeway... I think the 91 would be the best one to take to the Harbor.

Alpine Village is about 5 minutes from my house, and I am 25 miles by freeway from Disneyland, and AV would be a bit further, so it could be 30 miles. I used to go country western dancing there twice a week back in the day (please hold while I reminisce....)

... okay --- anyways, Alpine Village has a great market, some shops, and Oktoberfest every September (I haven't been to Oktoberfest in years!). They also have a restaurant. On Saturdays we can get fresh leber kaese (oh, so yummy) and other foods from there.

I don't know that it would be a tourist destination in itself, but if you were going from the DLR to San Pedro you could surely pass by it.

I was introduced to Alpine Village way back in the 70's when we had a German Exchange Student, and we would go there for her. She made us homemade rouladen, and it was pretty good.

You'd get there by taking the 5 to the 91 west, and then 110 (Harbor) south. It will be on the next exit - Torrance Blvd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter