Genie+ vs Universal Express: A Comparison

Westerner

Mouseketeer
With all the soul searching and frustration re Genie+ I thought that it might be useful to contextualize a bit more vs Universal Express. I did G+/$ILL at WDW over the holidays and UEx at Universal just now, and can share a few thoughts.

Universal Express is a lot more $. For my dates advance rates started at $140/day for 2-park unlimited, which allow rerides and can be used in both Universal parks. Prices rose to $160-$180 a few days ahead and reportedly can go much higher day of. You can get a discount by buying through UT. They are nonrefundable which poses a risk if you can’t go for some reason. This compares to a more stable ~$30/day for G+ and 1 $ILL.

UEx is more flexible. I don’t have to plan or crisscross the parks as much and there are no reservations to make. If we feel like going on ride X now, we can. I feel like the bigger and more diverse your party, the more valuable UEx is relative to G+/$ILL. We were 5 including DW, DD, bro and his GF, and me. Bro/GF sometimes wanted to do their own thing - no problem with UEx. With G+/$ILL it would have been harder to coordinate as they are first timers and earlier risers. :)

UEx has longer Express lane waits than G+/$ILL. I was often waiting 15-30mins with UEx. Sometimes more for the Hogwarts Express train which was inconvenient as that’s what you typically use to hop between the parks. With G+/$ILL most waits were very short, 5-15 mins typically.

Universal Express is so much easier. No phone app or anything. Just swipe the card and go.

We book a dummy room at one of the three hotels that offer it. It’s cheaper to get the passes that way than pay for them outright.

Universal Express is so much easier. No phone app or anything. Just swipe the card and go.

We book a dummy room at one of the three hotels that offer it. It’s cheaper to get the passes that way than pay for them outright.
Why don't you just stay at one of the Universal Premier hotels?

My family had a 1 bedroom suite at Royal Pacific for several days back in November. It's a really great hotel. Beautiful pool. Nice restaurants. Comfortable rooms. Walking distance to City Walk, Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios. And the prices are actually reasonable compared to Disney deluxe resorts.

I'm permanently replacing my November Disney trip with Universal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter