Genie Questions and Answers (with no commentary)

Raemama

WDW is my hobby!
Note: This is a thread for those who wish to learn more about Genie and discuss how it will work. Please do not add any color commentary or opinions on whether it’s good or bad for the consumer, etc. We all have opinions on that, but this thread is not the place to air those. Thank you for adhering to the spirit of this post.

I have questions about functionality; I’m sure others do as well. Perhaps there aren’t clear answers yet, but if others know the answers, please share.

1. Virtual queues will still be in play, correct? We’ll still have the ability to get a boarding pass for ROTR (and Remy, and potentially other attractions in the future, like Tron), and not pay?

2. See #1; if we aren’t able to get a boarding pass for one of the VQ attractions, will we have the opportunity to purchase Lightening Lane for them?

3. Will we be able to purchase Genie+ for singular days and for individual people, or is it all or nothing?

4. Do you have to purchase Genie+ to be able to access Lightening Lane?

5. Will this create a scenario where additional attractions won’t have an opportunity for a standby line? (I understand virtual queue attractions already don’t have standby.)

6. How will this work with DAS? In the past, you could hold a FP+ while also having a DAS return time. Will guests with a DAS be allowed to purchase Genie+ (G+), book a return time that way and still have a separate DAS return time for another attraction?

7. How will purchasing G+ be handled if you already have a ticket or AP? Will it be a simple in-app purchase or will a visit to GS be required to add it to your pass?

8. Which attractions will be G+ attractions and which will be LL attractions? How much will LL cost for each attraction (just having a range for prices would be helpful)?

Note: This is a thread for those who wish to learn more about Genie and discuss how it will work. Please do not add any color commentary or opinions on whether it’s good or bad for the consumer, etc. We all have opinions on that, but this thread is not the place to air those. Thank you for adhering to the spirit of this post.

I have questions about functionality; I’m sure others do as well. Perhaps there aren’t clear answers yet, but if others know the answers, please share.

1. Virtual queues will still be in play, correct? We’ll still have the ability to get a boarding pass for ROTR (and Remy, and potentially other attractions in the future, like Tron), and not pay?

2. See #1; if we aren’t able to get a boarding pass for one of the VQ attractions, will we have the opportunity to purchase Lightening Lane for them?

3. Will we be able to purchase Genie+ for singular days and for individual people, or is it all or nothing?

5. Will this create a scenario where additional attractions won’t have an opportunity for a standby line? (I understand virtual queue attractions already don’t have standby.)
I was also wondering if we could purchase Genie+ for one day of our trip. Would love to have it on the last day so we could get more done!

I was also wondering if we could purchase Genie+ for one day of our trip. Would love to have it on the last day so we could get more done!

My guess is that you can purchase it for the day. It sounds very similar to the MaxPass and we were allowed to purchase the MaxPass individually and just for the day instead of the entire length of our stay. I was thinking about this - my family usually gets 3 day park hoppers, but I'd probably just buy the Genie+ for one of our days, just to get on the rides that we weren't able to get to ride otherwise.

My question is - is the Genie replacing the official DL and WDW app as we know it? Or do we know have to have access to 2 separate apps?

9. Will you be able to choose from a list of attractions and available time slots, or will the time slots be available only after you make this selection? In other words, will I know not to choose Haunted Mansion if the first available time slot is 6pm since I can't pick another until I use this one-
10. Do pay-for individual attractions show up separately from others? Can I have two paid for attractions and 1 Lightning Lane at the same time?
11.-Can I drop my Lightning Lane selection and pick another like we could with FP?

1. Yes. Rise of the Resistance and Remi will both have the free virtual queues.

2. I believe that's how the system is. So I imagine after 7 am and people miss the boarding group, there will be a large influx of purchases.

3. Most likely yes but it wasn't completely clear.

4. Yes, there will not be free access to lightning lane unless you're using the DAS.

5. Every attraction will have some type of included access, either through a free virtual queue or a standby line.

My guess is that you can purchase it for the day. It sounds very similar to the MaxPass and we were allowed to purchase the MaxPass individually and just for the day instead of the entire length of our stay. I was thinking about this - my family usually gets 3 day park hoppers, but I'd probably just buy the Genie+ for one of our days, just to get on the rides that we weren't able to get to ride otherwise.

My question is - is the Genie replacing the official DL and WDW app as we know it? Or do we know have to have access to 2 separate apps?

Genie will be part of the existing apps.

9. Will you be able to choose from a list of attractions and available time slots, or will the time slots be available only after you make this selection? In other words, will I know not to choose Haunted Mansion if the first available time slot is 6pm since I can't pick another until I use this one-
10. Do pay-for individual attractions show up separately from others? Can I have two paid for attractions and 1 Lightning Lane at the same time?
11.-Can I drop my Lightning Lane selection and pick another like we could with FP?

9. It sounds like the attractions will be listed with the next available return time, so you can see how long the wait is before reserving.

10. Yes and yes. The individual paid ones are in addition to your one Genie plus reservation.

11. They did not specify but I would imagine yes.

6. How will this work with DAS? In the past, you could hold a FP+ while also having a DAS return time. Will guests with a DAS be allowed to purchase Genie+ (G+), book a return time that way and still have a separate DAS return time for another attraction?

7. How will purchasing G+ be handled if you already have a ticket or AP? Will it be a simple in-app purchase or will a visit to GS be required to add it to your pass?

8. Which attractions will be G+ attractions and which will be LL attractions? How much will LL cost for each attraction (just having a range for prices would be helpful)?

7. You can add it to a ticket and pay in-app.

8. I think Genie plus and lightning lane are the same thing. Buying Genie plus gives you access to the lightning lane. For upcharges, they've only announced a few. Rise of the Resistance, Remi's Ratatouille Adventure, Radiator Springs Racers, and Spiderman will all be extra cost, but they haven't announced the price yet. They specifically mentioned Smuggler's Run and Big Thunder will be included in the standard Genie plus, which leads me to believe that only 1 or 2 rides per park will be upcharges.

From what I've read elsewhere -

You will be able to purchase it "Daily" or as you go for each ticket. Or as a add-on like a hopper.

You will be able to purchase the "upcharge" rides - the Tier 1s like Rise, Rat, etc. even if you don't have Genie +. I think the limit would still be 2 per day.

6 DAS question from website says ... "DAS can also be used in addition to Disney’s Genie+ service and individual paid attraction selections (coming this fall)."

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/disability-access-service/
7 AP ... response to Blog Mickey question "At launch, passholders at Disney World and Magic Key holders at Disneyland are going to be able to add Disney Genie+ on the day of their visit." ..... I'm hoping we can do this for xxx days in one payment with proof of reservation.

https://blogmickey.com/2021/08/annual-passholders-will-be-able-to-add-disney-genie-on-day-of-visit/
8 Which attractions which? Sounds like all attractions that are set up for "FP+" could be part of G+ but LL will be reserved for the most popular attractions "High demanded" aka ones they think people will pay for. Guessing those lose the G+/FP+ ability.

EDIT TO ADD: Just watched video with Daniels, VP of Digital Experience. He did say that the Individual Paid LL pass would "be for a different set of attractions" that is included with Genie+. With that I hope it is only one or two at each park. My fear is if people freely pay they might expand it to things that are just popular like Peter Pan.

Last edited:
9 Which attractions which? Sounds like all attractions that are set up for "FP+" will be part of G+ and LL will be reserved for the most popular attractions "High demanded" aka ones they think people will pay for.

I believe there will be a subset of the "E-Ticket" attractions (apparently 2 per park?) that had been FP+, but will not be Genie+ because they'll be Virtual and/or Lightning (paid) attractions. For example, Mine Train had been FP+, but will likely be the paid Lightning access now (if you don't want to do standby) and not Genie+. Way more clarification needed!

12. Can I do a Virtual Queue and a Paid Lightning Pass for the same ride?
13. Can I do both of my Paid Lightning Passes for the same ride?
14. Can I do Passes for everyone in my party at once? (Genie+ Pass and Paid Passes)
15. Will you be able to break up your travel party and make seperate Genie+ passes? (ie; my teenagers want to go on a different ride than the rest of the group)
16. What's the resturant reservation impact if you get a Genie+ Pass during your reservation time?
17. Do you have to wait until you use your pass to make a new one - or will there be a time lag in case your pass is for much later? (Ie; I believe MaxPass lets you make another pass 90m after you made your first one, even if your first one is still scheduled for later in the day. ie; you make a Genie+ Pass for Peter Pan, but it's not until 5p. Are you locked out of making more passes until after you ride Peter Pan, or can you make another one 90m after you made your last one?)
18. Can you make a new Pass right after you check in for your last pass?

ROTR was one that's always been virtual and not FP+, and will most certainly be a Lightning attraction. Expecting folks will try hard to grab the 'free' virtual queue, and then go Lightning if they wish to pay instead!

That is how MaxPass worked, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same. You could see what attractions were available at what windows before choosing one.

8. I think Genie plus and lightning lane are the same thing. Buying Genie plus gives you access to the lightning lane. For upcharges, they've only announced a few. Rise of the Resistance, Remi's Ratatouille Adventure, Radiator Springs Racers, and Spiderman will all be extra cost, but they haven't announced the price yet. They specifically mentioned Smuggler's Run and Big Thunder will be included in the standard Genie plus, which leads me to believe that only 1 or 2 rides per park will be upcharges.

I don’t think the bolded is true. The info page on the WDW page specifies they are 2 separate things:

“For even more convenience and flexibility, there are two other options for enjoying our theme parks, through a queue we are introducing called the Lightning Lane entrance that also saves you time in line:

• Disney Genie+ service (available for purchase): For the price of $15 per ticket per day at Walt Disney World Resort and $20 per ticket per day at Disneyland Resort, choose the next available time to arrive at a variety of attractions and experiences using the Lightning Lane entrance. You can make one selection at a time, throughout the day – from classics like Haunted Mansion to thrill rides like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and newer favorites like Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run (attractions subject to limited availability). This convenient option is the next evolution of the fan-favorite Disney MaxPass service from Disneyland Resort. Disney Genie+ will also include Disney parks-themed audio experiences and photo features to capture your memories – augmented reality lenses for those visiting Walt Disney World Resort and unlimited Disney PhotoPass downloads from your day if you are visiting Disneyland Resort.
  • Individual attraction selections (available for purchase): Schedule a time to arrive at up to two highly demanded attractions each day using the Lightning Lane entrance – like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at Magic Kingdom Park and Radiator Springs Racers at Disney California Adventure park (subject to limited availability; attractions not included with Disney Genie+). Pricing for this option will vary by date, attraction and park and will be announced closer to launch.”
It doesn’t really specify if you’ll have to buy Genie + to access the individual attractions, but it reads to me like you don’t. I think we might need more info to know for sure.

12. Can I do a Virtual Queue and a Paid Lightning Pass for the same ride?
13. Can I do both of my Paid Lightning Passes for the same ride?
14. Can I do Passes for everyone in my party at once? (Genie+ Pass and Paid Passes)
15. Will you be able to break up your travel party and make seperate Genie+ passes? (ie; my teenagers want to go on a different ride than the rest of the group)
16. What's the resturant reservation impact if you get a Genie+ Pass during your reservation time?
17. Do you have to wait until you use your pass to make a new one - or will there be a time lag in case your pass is for much later? (Ie; I believe MaxPass lets you make another pass 90m after you made your first one, even if your first one is still scheduled for later in the day. ie; you make a Genie+ Pass for Peter Pan, but it's not until 5p. Are you locked out of making more passes until after you ride Peter Pan, or can you make another one 90m after you made your last one?)
18. Can you make a new Pass right after you check in for your last pass?

12 and 13: we don't know yet.
14. Probably yes, because you could do that with FP+
15. Also probably yes, for the same reason.
16. We're not sure yet. Universal's virtual queue had the option to push your time back by 30 minutes or 1 hour, so maybe Disney will do the same. Also you will still probably have a 1 hour window, but that is all speculation.
17. Based on the announcement you will have to wait until your next pass, but it's not totally clear.
18. Yes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter