Genie+: how many ride reservations do you need to make it worth the price?

Kind of a specific question here for what I know is a hypothetical situation, but I'm working on a preliminary itinerary for our spring trip so we can make our park reservations. Part of that is working out a (obviously also hypothetical) strategy for which and how many days it makes sense for us to buy Genie+, if at all.

In your opinion, how many Genie+ rides would you need to make in a day in order to make the cost worthwhile?

I’m not so much looking at it as number of rides is what provides the value. What’s more important to me is the amount of time saved. If it can cut an hour wait down to 15 minutes, and then you multiply that out over 8 rides, that’s 6 hours saved. (I know 8 might be a huge number, I don’t know, I just picked that for the example.

However, if it’s a slow time and it cuts a 30 minute wait to 15, then that might be a different story.

I think we need some real world data on the service to make some informed decisions Right now there are just so many unknowns.

Do we know for sure yet weather Genie+ can be added for individual days, or whether they will treat it like park hopping, which has to be added for all days?

For my family of 5 it would cost $75 for a day. There could be circumstances where I’d consider that, maybe. On the other hand, if it’s all or nothing, Genie+ on our next WDW trip would cost $600. Not a snowball chance in hades I’d do that.

On our trip this past July in Epcot we didn’t get on Test Track. That’s the one ride we would have used something like Genie+ on. Would I pay an added $75 for a day to get on my son’s favorite ride in Epcot? I really don’t know. The other thing that we really don’t like about no FP+, which Genie+ might solve, is that we couldn’t repeat some rides (something like Space Mountain) later in the day that we might have ticked off at rope drop. Would I pay $75 for a couple repeat rides in a day? Again, I really don’t know. Probably not. Lastly, no FP really puts a damper on Park Hopping. Hopping to a new park without at least a couple reserved short waits isn’t all that attractive to us. That’s something I wonder if Disney has considered with their current lack of FP+, or the potential limits Genie+ might have. We’ve always done park hopper passes in the past, last July we didn’t. That’s a lot of revenue Disney is forgoing if people, like us, don’t upgrade to hoppers.

How many to make it truly worth it? No idea, but two seems too few, and no repeats isn’t helping either. Ideally I’d want it to be a reasonable replacement for FP+, which was essentially unlimited. If it’s only two, and it only saves us 60 to 90 minutes a day of waiting in standby lines (which realistically is what it might have saved us last July) I’d really question the value in spending that $75.

I do believe they said you can buy it for individual days.

If I’m remembering correctly, you can purchase it on the day if your visit for an individual day but if you pre purchase it, like park hoppers, you have to buy it for the entire trip.

Do we know for sure yet weather Genie+ can be added for individual days, or whether they will treat it like park hopping, which has to be added for all days?
Yes, that has been confirmed. If you add it to your package at the time of booking, it will apply to your whole party for length-of-stay. But you can skip it at the time of booking and add it one day at a time.

My plan right now is to buy Genie+ every day, and Individual Attraction Selections never.

Rumors seem to indicate it can be daily….i hope that’s the case. I suppose proof will be in the puddin around the 18th!

Yes, that has been confirmed. If you add it to your package at the time of booking, it will apply to your whole party for length-of-stay. But you can skip it at the time of booking and add it one day at a time.

My plan right now is to buy Genie+ every day, and Individual Attraction Selections never.
That's my plan as well. I'm willing to try it once since I've committed to this trip already.

For me it's how many rides are wait times of 30 min or more. If there is at least 3, that's saving of over an hour, so worth it to me. That's why a lot are saying AK isn't worth it, but I think for my family during a busy week like Thanksgiving, it will be worth it to do G+. But not Epcot.

My partner and I have an Epcot tripped planned next month. For thirty bucks, we decided we might as well go ahead and buy the genie+ for a day if for no other reason than to try it out and see if we like it. Just from reading about it, there are things I think I will like and dislike about this system. We won't be paying for the individual attractions (FEA and Remy at Epcot). Ultimately, though, i think we need to use it before making a final judgment.

As for how many genie+ rides make it worth it. Well, i am assuming it will work like additional fast passes, where as soon as I use my genie lane ride, I can select another one. Assuming that is correct, I don't really know if there is a magic number of genie rides that will make it feel worth it to me. If it reduces the stress of long lines or worrying about long lines on rides we like, then that's what makes it worth it to me. Not a certain number, just a general feeling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter