• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Genie+ clarification

DisneyGuy

DIS Veteran
I’ve been reading about Genie+ and the additional fee rides and I’m trying to understand this new system. We go in February and I’m pretty sure I want Genie+ for every day but I do have a couple of questions.

7am - book first ride, and pay for one additional ride (I don’t have all of the abbreviations down yet) but I’m sure you’ll know what I’m referring to. I (or we) are essentially entering the park with two reservations, correct? And can you buy both extra rides at the same time - if not, then when could I buy the second ride? Also, I’m trying to understand the 120 minute rule - is it true you can select your next ride after checking into your current reservation (kind of like Fastpass plus?). What if it hasn’t been 120 minutes since you made that initial reservation? If that makes sense.

I’ve been reading about Genie+ and the additional fee rides and I’m trying to understand this new system. We go in February and I’m pretty sure I want Genie+ for every day but I do have a couple of questions.

7am - book first ride, and pay for one additional ride (I don’t have all of the abbreviations down yet) but I’m sure you’ll know what I’m referring to. I (or we) are essentially entering the park with two reservations, correct? And can you buy both extra rides at the same time - if not, then when could I buy the second ride? Also, I’m trying to understand the 120 minute rule - is it true you can select your next ride after checking into your current reservation (kind of like Fastpass plus?). What if it hasn’t been 120 minutes since you made that initial reservation? If that makes sense.
Yes, at this time, you can buy both paid individual attraction Lightning Lane rides or ILL$ and get one G+ LL at 7am. I could potentially see Disney changing this, but not sure if they would or when.

The 120 rule is now stricter. If your ride is within 2 hours of park opening, you can check in to the ride and get a second G+LL Pass. Your 2 hours restarts now.

If your first ride is more than 2 hours out, you can get a second G+LL at 2 hours. If you then check into your first LL, you cannot get another G+LL after because you used the 2 hour window. If you use the second G+LL, you should then be able to grab a new G+LL at this time.

Yes, at this time, you can buy both paid individual attraction Lightning Lane rides or ILL$ and get one G+ LL at 7am. I could potentially see Disney changing this, but not sure if they would or when.

The 120 rule is now stricter. If your ride is within 2 hours of park opening, you can check in to the ride and get a second G+LL Pass. Your 2 hours restarts now.

If your first ride is more than 2 hours out, you can get a second G+LL at 2 hours. If you then check into your first LL, you cannot get another G+LL after because you used the 2 hour window. If you use the second G+LL, you should then be able to grab a new G+LL at this time.

thanks, I think I get it now. I’m wondering if I need to start setting alarms to go off when it’s time to pick the next ride - not sure how I’m going to remember when I made a selection if it’s mid-day.

Just a couple points, and I apologize if you already know these. You can only get the Individual Lightning Lane (pay extra attractions) at 7AM if you are staying at a Disney resort. Else you need to wait until park opening. You do not need to purchase Genie+ (currently $15.96 per person including tax!) to purchase ILL$. If you purchase ILL$, you will be allowed 2 per day, and can select from available time ranges, like the old FP+ system. If you purchase Genie+, it's a bit more like the original FP system, where you will only be offered the next available time slots. But unlike the old FP system, you can only ride a G+ attraction once per day. So if you get a 10AM G+ for Peter Pan, you can only do standby to ride Peter Pan again that day (hope that makes sense). If you have a park hopper ticket and make a Genie+ selection at a park other than the original park you reserved for the day, your times will automatically be updated to be available after 2PM that day, when park hopping is allowed. Hope that's not too much blah blah blah of thing you already knew - just some points we've found can be confusing at times. And, of course, this could change by February! Have a great trip!

BTW - an alarm on your phone or watch is an excellent idea! I know we'll be doing it!

thanks, I think I get it now. I’m wondering if I need to start setting alarms to go off when it’s time to pick the next ride - not sure how I’m going to remember when I made a selection if it’s mid-day.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking as well. Shouldn’t be hard to restart a 2 hour timer after making a selection… in theory! Lol. I’d make it even if your next pass is within 2 hours just in case you don’t get to the ride before the 2 hour window expires

Yeah that’s what I was thinking as well. Shouldn’t be hard to restart a 2 hour timer after making a selection… in theory! Lol. I’d make it even if your next pass is within 2 hours just in case you don’t get to the ride before the 2 hour window expires
I'm older now - I need to do this to remember medications!!

Thank you everyone! A little concerned about how well this will work out but hoping for the best!

I would also be aware that both iLL$ and LL are limited. This week was busy and I was unable to ever purchase an iLL$ option because they were sold out before offsite guests had access and I was not able to make LL selections after my 2nd option ( made one at 7am and one at 11am — 2 hrs after park opening) because they were all gone already. I would hesitate to pay for it in advance for length of stay for this reason.

One tip I read that helped is to go into Genie (not +) and select a couple of favorites for the day. That will move those attractions to the top of the list and save a little time booking the quick to sell out rides.

At 7am, could I book ILL$ for a combination of people staying onsite and offsite if I'm staying onsite?

One tip I read that helped is to go into Genie (not +) and select a couple of favorites for the day. That will move those attractions to the top of the list and save a little time booking the quick to sell out rides.
We've read that, too - 'pin' them to the top of your list instead of having to scroll. Going to give it a try when we eventually use G+.

We've read that, too - 'pin' them to the top of your list instead of having to scroll. Going to give it a try when we eventually use G+.
This is one of the most important tips for getting what you want when u refresh (Whether u are refreshing at 7 am, or throughout the day.) And you don’t have to do it in Free Genie. You can also do it from he tip board if the “edit selections” link appears at the top of your screen.
caveat: if you have more than one thing selected appearing on top, when u refresh its possible that it won’t always show your top one and then scroll down. It seems that if u clicked into one of your selections and then backed out, it will ”stay” going to that selection when you refresh. This is a little difficult to explain but I wanted to warn people who maybe have say, Big Thunder and Jungle cruise and Peter an selected/pinned the top and had casually tapped on Peter Pan and then backed out. Next time refresh the screen will automatically scroll to Peter Pan soyour eyes might miss jungle cruise flying by andyou need to scroll up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter