Gen Xers in Canada are making AstraZeneca cool :)

GenX'er here too. That twitter thread above is awesome and led me down the rabbit hole of youtube music. All day I've had Remedy by The Black Crowes in my head. "I need a Remedy" You have NO idea Chris Robinson.
Not a bad theme song while you get your shot. LOL!

Another Canadian genX’er here! Got my AZ shot less than 24 hours after it opened for 40+ in BC.
They were gone within a few hours. DH and I tried too, and everywhere was out / booked up. Both of us are willing to drop everything, take a vacation/ sick day and drive to get one. We are registered with confirmation numbers. Now hoping more vaccines arrive in the Greater Victoria area for us to get one.

They were gone within a few hours. DH and I tried too, and everywhere was out / booked up. Both of us are willing to drop everything, take a vacation/ sick day and drive to get one. We are registered with confirmation numbers. Now hoping more vaccines arrive in the Greater Victoria area for us to get one.

Are you watching here? https://twitter.com/VaxHuntersCan

I lucked out and heard that the Shoppers on Esquimalt had 3 left. We live only a couple of mins up the road so I hauled butt and got the last one. Still looking for one for DH though.

shame on the people shopping around for a specific brand of vaccine. take the first one you qualify for, unless a doctor is telling you otherwise. There shouldn't be any doses left sitting on shelves.
At this point there aren’t, at least not here in Alberta. The uptake of AZ has been tremendous since they lowered the age eligibility to 40. So much so in fact that many clinics are out and now cancelling pre-booked appointments. As we are (again, as always it seems) completely unsure of when further supply will arrive, that leaves us all out on a limb waiting for word of our second doses. I’m felling very uneasy about the overall strategy - anyone else with me? :confused3

At this point there aren’t, at least not here in Alberta. The uptake of AZ has been tremendous since they lowered the age eligibility to 40. So much so in fact that many clinics are out and now cancelling pre-booked appointments. As we are (again, as always it seems) completely unsure of when further supply will arrive, that leaves us all out on a limb waiting for word of our second doses. I’m felling very uneasy about the overall strategy - anyone else with me? :confused3
Yes...very happy to be vaccinated but I also somewhat regret not waiting for the pfizer as supply doesn't seem to be as much as an issue. I suspect with the catastrophe in India that we won't be getting more of the AZ manufactured there and that US will be sending their supply to India. All or most of us who jumped on the AZ train will be getting the J&J as a second dose.

Yes...very happy to be vaccinated but I also somewhat regret not waiting for the pfizer as supply doesn't seem to be as much as an issue. I suspect with the catastrophe in India that we won't be getting more of the AZ manufactured there and that US will be sending their supply to India. All or most of us who jumped on the AZ train will be getting the J&J as a second dose.

I believe Quebec is recommending Pfizer for the second dose? And the UK is doing some testing on that as well... given the possible supplies of that one coming in it's possible we'll get that as a second dose. I am not worrying yet though, I believe the studies I read showed that waiting 12 weeks between doses gave better results than getting them too close together (for AZ) so we have a bit of time.

I believe Quebec is recommending Pfizer for the second dose? And the UK is doing some testing on that as well... given the possible supplies of that one coming in it's possible we'll get that as a second dose. I am not worrying yet though, I believe the studies I read showed that waiting 12 weeks between doses gave better results than getting them too close together (for AZ) so we have a bit of time.
I thought the rna vaccines couldn't be used used as a second dose for the viral vector vaccines and vice versa? Of course, it's not unusual for me to be wrong and i hope i am in this case 😁

I thought the rna vaccines couldn't be used used as a second dose for the viral vector vaccines and vice versa? Of course, it's not unusual for me to be wrong and i hope i am in this case 😁

well I think they are still doing the study in the UK, where if you had Pfizer or AZ as your first dose you can sign up for the study and you'll get perhaps the same or a different one for the second dose. And a few different scientists have said that mixing types of vaccines may actually be better at increasing immunity.

I guess for me, the fact that AZ has 76% efficacy about 3 weeks after the first dose. and only increases to 82% after the second dose... well I think that's pretty good off the bat. And honestly higher than J&J's one dose. I like this table from ctv news. I do find the idea of mixing them fascinating though, and to my brain it seems like using different methods of increasing immunity would cover the bases better... but I haven't studied biology in a very long time.

When did the Wonder show up on the West Coast?
I am definitely concerned about the second dose and our supply. Here in BC we are almost out as well. I read this morning that Canada should be receiving 4.1 million doses of AZ at the end of June ,but until it's on CDN soil I will still be a bit concerned about how to procure our second dose.

As a Gen Xer, thank you all who got the vaccine when you could. I’ve been advised to wait for Pfizer or Moderna due to health issues, so I’m hoping for herd immunity and for the Pfizer age limit to come down enough so I can get it. It’s currently 50+ here in Manitoba and I’m ‘only’ 45.

As a Gen Xer, thank you all who got the vaccine when you could. I’ve been advised to wait for Pfizer or Moderna due to health issues, so I’m hoping for herd immunity and for the Pfizer age limit to come down enough so I can get it. It’s currently 50+ here in Manitoba and I’m ‘only’ 45.

this millennial agrees! if we’re all getting the right vaccine for our age/medical conditions, we’re taking care of our communities. each shot is a step in the right direction! 💉💉💉

just to note; these numbers come from the trials of these vaccines and comparing them like ctv news is doing is irresponsible. Unless they do a study to actually compare the effectiveness of each vaccine with the other, these types of comparisons are meaningless and causes people to vaccine shop which is dangerous from a public health perspective and is outright lying from a facts perspective. For one, pfizer and moderna were studied in the USA when cases were low, AZ was studied in the fall in brazil,uk, and south africa when cases were high. Just that alone introduces so many variables that are not being controlled for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter