GCH or Disney Hotel

Sara Meyers

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone! I have been reading through posts, but will admit I have not searched all the way back through every single post. My family and I are planning a vacation for spring break (march) and we are trying to decide on what hotel to stay at. When we visit the resort we always LOVE staying at the GCH. However, we have never stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. Am I missing out on something amazing?

I have stayed at both hotels multiple times and I love them both for different reasons, since you have already stayed at the GCH, I will tell you why I love the DLH:
- large, well appointed rooms (much larger than GCH)
- the fireworks effect in the headboards is wonderful
- a classic throwback vibe that celebrates Disneyland of yesteryear
- crazy attention to detail in the theming (check out the wallpaper in the public restrooms in each of the towers)
-the ambient music played in the public spaces is among my favorite
-Trader Sam's is not to be missed
-great pools and monorail themed slides

Now there are a few downsides:
-no direct access to a park
-longer walks to and from parks

Having said all that, I really don't prefer one over the other. They are very different. I love them both for different reasons. I do think you should try DLH once. It really is a wonderful place!

I enjoy the grounds at DLH, but not the rooms. To me the rooms are standard motel style rooms with a Micky Mouse theme. I like Grand Californian much better for the patio/balcony and the twice daily housekeeping service. I love having the ability to go back to my room after getting soaked on Grizzly Rapids.

I do enjoy the a lot of stuff at DLH, but you don't need to sleep there to enjoy any of that stuff. I do suggest walking around and getting some food/drinks there if you haven't done that before. The pools at Grand Californian will be closed in March. Because of that, you will be able to use the pools at DLH during that time.

I agree with +cruisehopeful. If money is not an issue, go with the Grand. The theming is excellent - makes you feel that bubble. I got to spend some time with some friends in their room and at the pool a few months ago, and I finally felt the Disney Bubble feeling I always get at the WDW resort hotels. It must be the theming that "removes" you from your surroundings. The DLH, while it has a lot of cool stuff like waterslides, sparkling headboards, and scale park attraction models, it's a lot like a Hilton. Just a basic hotel with some Disney touches.

For us, it has always been an easy choice to stay at the Grand. However, we recently did a one-night stay at DLH and absolutely loved it. We have two small children, 4 and 8 months. It just felt so magical. I think next time we will try DLH for our whole stay.

Things I like about DLH:
Magical, classic Disney feel
Tangaroa Terrace for breakfast
Larger rooms
Close to monorail
Lovely grounds and huge lawn areas outside each building (great for letting a young kid run out some energy!)
Didn't use the pool, but can't wait to try it out next time

Things I like about GCH:
Close proximity IF you get a good room location. Can't say enough good things about our most recent room, i think it was #4024, super close to the elevators. Farther away = MUCH longer walk.
Dark rooms with Balconies (key with little kids who still need naps)
I love Whitewater Snacks, it's one of my favorite quick service locations, but anyone can eat there...

I can't justify the DLH cost when you don't get the convenience of being right there. The Grand location can't be beat, and I love the theming. Rooms are a little smaller, but we don't travel with a large group.

Are you going THIS March? I'm not sure if you are aware that the pools at GCH are closed for refurbishment until spring. They do not give an exact re-opening date. They are letting GCH guests use the pools at DLH and PPH. It would be a bummer to have to walk over to DLH, but the pools over there are great.

I have not stayed at GCH yet, but I've walked through there a lot. Its gorgeous! I have stayed at DLH twice now and I really love it there. It feels more Disney to me and the pools are fantastic. It is a longer walk, but it's through DTD so to me it feels like it's in the bubble. Plus, the monorail is right there which is super convenient. I really don't think you can go wrong with either hotel.

We have stayed at GCH multiple times and finally bought into Disney Vacation Club there. We love it there. We once stayed at PPH trying to save a little $. I think we were too spoiled by our stays at GCH, because we were not happy at all with PPH. We haven't stayed at DLH, but a friend of ours did once and we walked down to the hotel and checked out her room. It was a nice enough room, but we didn't like the walk through DTD and we didn't like that the sink was inside the bathroom. The bathroom set up at GCH makes thing so much easier. I love having a balcony, too--just feels like extra space. I have never felt cramped at GCH and we love the theming of the hotel and the rooms. The cost of GCH can be ridiculous, though, so if that is a consideration, any of the hotels will still be Disneyland and still be wonderful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter