• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gators at resorts...facts and wise tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I know I'm not the only one thinking OMGosh gators!! I would rather have facts and not hype...and hopefully my question will help someone else visiting.

Gators....what word of caution and wisdom would you give to those of us who are clueless?

What word of comfort would you give to those who have the tendency of freaking out when the word 'gator' is mentioned?

Thank you
Thanks for starting this thread to help future Guests of the Walt Disney World Resort understand the dangers of wildlife in Florida!

Your thread was featured in today's DIS Daily Fix! :flower1:

It must be a giant shock to you then that I've NEVER thought in my life I'd see Alligators in Disney. This is all new information to me. Sorry to tell you, but I have a great job, I'm a DVC member, I have a rather high IQ, and I didn't know there were Alligators in the lakes at Disney.

27,000 acres of Florida land, only about 1/3 developed, leaving 2/3 natural raw Florida habitat. Disney land has everything that naturally lives on that land. It would not be uncommon to see deer, wild turkeys, wild hogs, bobcats, perhaps even Florida panthers, etc.

Oh, and Disney World has rats... Mickey isn't the only rodent living at WDW. But everyone knows about the rats right? They are part of the natural wildlife/food chain.

Last edited:

Swimming means to go into the water and swim. Putting your feet in the water is not swimming. If someone told me there were gators in the water, I'd avoid the lake (Like I plan to from now on).

Not everyone has the information you seem to have.

To me No Swimming means stay the heck out of the water. It always has. When they post No Swimming advisories over the summer it means don't go in the water at all.

You say putting you feet in the water isn't swimming. What is then? Knee deep? Chest deep? Over your head only? You can float in a tiny bit of water, should that be considered swimming too or just floating? I don't see how No Swimming is unclear at all. Maybe they should change the signs to Keep Out of the Water.

If fresh water in Florida is such a huge risk for gators then why the heck did Disney allow swimming the lake from 1971- 1997?

They were considered endangered for a lot of that time. Probably because during that time they were on the verge of being wiped out.

Question: Doesn't every state have something in the wild that wants to harm you? In Michigan we have snakes, bears, cougars, spiders, coyotes, all sorts of things that may do you harm. Doesn't every state or most of them? How does it not translate then that Florida would too? Or is it just that many people for some reason think Disney is able to control the environment?

Ok I had to click your link because you chose 1b. Every single thing on that websters link goes against your selective definition of the term. It still doesn't explain the fact that people from outside of your country aren't aware of the gator issue at Disney, and the fact that you can still be attacked on the sand.

A question I also have is I know that people in Florida have gate over pools (I see them as I fly in to MCO) , I am assuming it is to keep out gators, correct?

Are pools at Disney resorts in danger of having gators in them as they are not gated? This tragedy had me wondering about this

you can still be attacked on the sand.

He was in the water at night (around 9 pm - dark out), reportedly splashing a bit in about a foot of water.

Alligators typically hunt by being submerged in water and lunging at their target in a surprise attack. That is typically what happens.

The man (he was a child then, I think he was 8 at the time) who was attacked 30 years ago at Fort Wilderness was playing with his siblings in the lake water/shore and the alligator attacked in a lunge from a submerged position. His siblings were able to hold him and hit the gator and the gator left. That happened during the day time.

You could possibly be attacked by a gator at the waters edge. It is less likely the further you are from the shore line, you would see the gator if it was out of the water. If you are standing on sand 10 feet from the edge of the shore, you'd see the gator IF it came out of the water.

So if Disney is responsible for this attack by a wild animal that happened on their property, does that mean that the states with beaches are responsible for attacks by sharks?

first -- most state entities have immunity from such lawsuits.
Second -- the only liability they might have is if they didn't provide an adequate warning.
Third -- the state isn't using the beach as a private enterprise and making a direct profit -- different standards of care are involved.

Thank you brertoad. That is the information we need from this thread. I've actually learned a few things from your posts.

I grew up in an area where "No Swimming" and "No Wading" are two different advisories, and the presence of the former does not automatically indicate the latter. If you see "No Swimming," it typically indicates that the beach is not lifeguarded and therefore the entity regulating the beach is accepting no liability for swimmers. "No Wading" (as on the sign below) indicates either a toxic water condition or, in the case of ocean beaches, an undertow that can knock you off your feet. It is not at all stupid for someone who was raised with this system to assume that wading is safe unless otherwise specified, especially on a resort beach that is set up for children.
wading.jpg

The only time I will ever use any ice bucket is if they have the plastic liner I can put it in it. Or I bring my own plastic bag to put it in first. I have heard too many stories of what happens with those ice buckets...:scared:
similar story with ice machines. Only use ones that dispense the ice out of a chute. If it is one where you open a lid and scoop the ice out, there's no telling what can be in there. My buddy saw someone mistake one such ice machine as a urinal when the guy was intoxicated.

My heart breaks for this family. I have been to Disney many times and always felt like I was in the most wonderful place on earth. The everyday pressures of work and life outside of Disney melt away when vacation arrives. It's just that carefree, magical feeling that can sometimes "suspend" common sense. My heart breaks for them.

Might as well throw this out there as well. If you drive to Florida and you happen to break down on the side of the road, you could be attacked by a gator. This also goes for most of the southeastern states and I think as far north as the Carolinas. Gotta make sure we cover all the possibilities for those that don't know much about nature.

Also, did anyone see the Disney cm who is in charge of removing the gators interview last night. He said there are so many it's impossible to remove all of them. At night it looks like Jurassic park.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter