Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge - too busy in August?

DH & I lived in Chattanooga for about a year & visited the area a lot on weekends as a young couple before having children & are excited to bring our boys here. I'm sure most of what we recall about crowds, attractions, etc is no longer accurate but we are *gasp* arriving with nothing more than a week off work & a hotel room. Our Sept WDW trip exhausted me planning wise & im excited about a week of relaxing, whatever that ends up looking like.

Anyhiw, My family is driving in now (finally made it to Birmingham so not much farther) ~ I'd guess the crowds will be similar this week to crowds in July & can let you know / post back once we have a better feel for the area & crowds.

Thanks! I'd love to hear how your trip wen when you return!!!

I know this topic has been beat to death but I have more questions about Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge after searching past threads :).
I
We're planning a trip in August and I keep reading that Gatlingburg/Pigeon Forge is very crowded in the summer as in bumper to bumper traffic. Is that accurate?

Also, there seems to be a lot of debate on where to stay in that area. We would be doing mostly the touristy attractions. Any suggestions on the area to narrow my search for cabins? I don't need a room with a view.

Thanks in advance!

We have been going to those towns since I was a young kid so 40+ years. If you have kids Pigeon Forge may be fun, we always stay in the Riverstone Luxury Condos and I highly recommend them, for what you pay for a,suite room elsewhere you can have your own condo. Yes at certain times the day is worse than others but it shouldn't be your deciding factor of if you go or not. We stay near the end of the parkway going towards Gatlingurg and that section isn't too bad. It's also close to Dollywood and waterpark. There is also gatlinburg bypass is you are looking to drive into the park you can bypass gatlinburg congestion. We go mid August when rates just start to go down and just a bit less. If you stay in Gatlinburg it is a walkable town to a lot of things. There are many cabins also,so maybe look for reviews on them.

Sunday - traffic & crowds seemed very light before lunch, began picking up around noon and really peaked around 3-4,overall quite manageable compared to WDW.

Visited Ober Gatlinburg
Lesson #1- decide in advance if you will ride the tram up or not. It's just under $50 for a family of 4 or you can just drive up. Parking at the top & bottom are $5/day. We paid $5, opted to skip the tram and had to walk back & then drive up & pay $5 again to park.

#2 if you ride the alpine slide - the attendants will say slow down, the signs will say slow down. The guy at the top will say, don't lean into the turns, the signs will say don't lean into turns... Take it from me, they are right. Road rash is no joke.
Alpine Slide - 1
Mom trying to be cool - 0
<Ouch>
Edited to add:
Went to Dixie Stampede tonight. I think everyone really enjoyed it. A few tips - call & buy tickets by phone (not sure why but it saved us $30 over online purchase) & arrive early - there is a pretty decent pre show. Sit upstairs for the pre show / it'll give you a better view & the entrance to the dinner show is upstairs anyhow so you'll avoid the crush to come upstairs to go in for dinner after the pre show ends.

Last edited:
Sunday - traffic & crowds seemed very light before lunch, began picking up around noon and really peaked around 3-4,overall quite manageable compared to WDW.

Visited Ober Gatlinburg
Lesson #1- decide in advance if you will ride the tram up or not. It's just under $50 for a family of 4 or you can just drive up. Parking at the top & bottom are $5/day. We paid $5, opted to skip the tram and had to walk back & then drive up & pay $5 again to park.

#2 if you ride the alpine slide - the attendants will say slow down, the signs will say slow down. The guy at the top will say, don't lean into the turns, the signs will say don't lean into turns... Take it from me, they are right. Road rash is no joke.
Alpine Slide - 1
Mom trying to be cool - 0
<Ouch>
The line for the tram 2 days after Xmas was about 2-3 hrs just to buy the ticket then you had to wait in the actual tram line

Has anyone eaten at Crockett's Breakfast camp ? That is on our list as is Fanny Farkles and The Old Mill restaurant in Pigeon Forge ?

Also, could someone recommend a good mini golf place ? $50 for all of us at Ripley's is a bit too high.

We've been to Crockett's Breakfast. The food and service were good, but it's a popular place for breakfast. Be prepared to wait a little if you're hungry at the same time as everyone else!

I am just back from a stay at Dollywoods Dreamore resort. If you stay on site they offer discount tickets on all things Dolly. 89.00 for a three day park hopper. If you stay at the hotel you also get a special device to set up a time and go to the front of the line at the parks. Buses run from hotel to parks all day. Hotel is unbelievable. My favorite hotel has been Wilderness lodge but Dollywood has now taken that spot. They have lots of specials. Lots of extras for the kids....story time for free each night. Afternoon craft and s'mores in the evening for as all fee. For the price you get ALOT of benefits. Also go to the Cathouse if you like cats. They have live ones running around to pet and even had kittens when we where there. Kids loved it. It's in the Old Mill area just down the road from Dollywood. The Old Mill restaurant was great as well.

We used Sunset cottage rental twice. Both were very nice.
We have also stayed in Gatlinburg several times. My favorite was Baskins Creek condos. a very short walk to the main drag and a beautiful 2 bedroom condo. Nice pool, covered parking, just perfect for us.

If you want to avoid some crowds, go midweek.

Agree with PP, it gets HOT in Gatlinburg. Titanic is good. Dixie Stampede is worth the money as well. Check the weather before you haul your family up to Clingman's Dome. If it's cloudy you wont see anything. Roaring Fork Motor Trail is another good one. Don't miss Hillbilly Golf. It's an icon

I love walking in the Village. Pancake Pantry is very popular but you can get good breakfast other places. Donut Friar opens real early so you could walk down and get delicious, fresh donuts.

The two main PF shortcuts are Teaster Lane which runs parallel to the main drag. The other is Veterans Parkway which takes you by Dollywood and it the quickest route between Sevierville and PF.

What do you guys think is the most "disney" resort in the Smokies? My guess would be the new Dollywood resort....
Riverstone Resort and Spa close to Dollywood is very Disney-like. In fact, the landscape architect is the same one who designed Old Key West and Caribbean Beach Resort, as well as Atlantis. It features 1-, 2-, 3-, and 4-bedroom accommodations. It is expensive just like Disney! We like staying close to the Gatlinburg strip and the entrance to the National Park, so for our next visit we are going to try Baskins Creek Vacation Rentals owned my Wyndham. We need a 2- or 3-bedroom, and it's within walking distance of the strip.

I did the dream more resort for spring break and it was nice. I have only stayed value at Disney and the bunk room I had was definitely nicer than a value room. The bus over was nice so that my car never let the hotel lot. The timesaver pass was another nice benefit of the reservation (think similar to fast pass). If you have more questions about the resort I will answer what I can.

I have some!! Did you use any of the splash pad or pools? Do you know if they get overly crowded? It'll be beginning of August and we will just be there 2 nights. We won't do Dollywood, but Dixie Stampede the second night. Would you recommend that?

I have some!! Did you use any of the splash pad or pools? Do you know if they get overly crowded? It'll be beginning of August and we will just be there 2 nights. We won't do Dollywood, but Dixie Stampede the second night. Would you recommend that?
We went to the lumberjack show in December and really liked it. Dolly bought it out so the music will probably be awesome now along with the show.

We used Sunset cottage rental twice. Both were very nice.
We have also stayed in Gatlinburg several times. My favorite was Baskins Creek condos. a very short walk to the main drag and a beautiful 2 bedroom condo. Nice pool, covered parking, just perfect for us.

That's IT!! My daughter and I stayed at Baskin's Creek with a friend and her two kiddos. It was perfect for us. It was about 10 minutes to the national park for a hike and we loved being able to walk into "town."

It was very clean and spacious for us having three littles in the condo with us.

We went to the lumberjack show in December and really liked it. Dolly bought it out so the music will probably be awesome now along with the show.

That was not clear, sorry. I've done Dixie Stampede before, so I know we prefer that because our daughter really likes the horses.

Would you recommend staying at Dreammore if you are not going to Dollywood? We were hoping to take advantage of the splash pad/pool areas and amenities, etc.

We did not use the pool in April (the outdoor one was not yet open. I read the indoor one can get crazy but did not go check it out. Start of June we saw people in both pools but it did not seem crowded. I do the theme parks so I can't comment on Dixie stampede, but many people seem to love it. The outdoor people seemed good for many ages and right next to it was a playground type area that is supposed to be for only 6? And under.

We did not use the pool in April (the outdoor one was not yet open. I read the indoor one can get crazy but did not go check it out. Start of June we saw people in both pools but it did not seem crowded. I do the theme parks so I can't comment on Dixie stampede, but many people seem to love it. The outdoor people seemed good for many ages and right next to it was a playground type area that is supposed to be for only 6? And under.

That sounds wonderful. I was hoping most people would want to spend the day at Dollywood.

If you ever get the chance, definitely check out the Dixie Stampede. It's wonderful, we especially love the Christmas version.

Today (Monday) slept in (until 8) then had breakfast at the hotel. Took the car over to Patriot park & hopped on the Dollywood bound good time trolley (50¢ A person beats the $20 parking fee @ DDollywood). Dollywood is a little more difficult to navigate than WDW /MK - the lands are themed but the cut-throughs & layout took some getting used to. Had very light crowds through the noon hour, then noticed everything getting a bit more congested... Decided to grab some cinnamon bread (it's classic & not to be missed) & then headed back to the hotel around 3 for a rest. We were back in the park by 5:30, grabbed a bite for supper since we hadn't really eaten lunch (granny's buffet isn't worth the $) & enjoyed thinning crowds up until fireworks. We were walking on all the headliners & DS9 was thrilled. Grabbed a trolley back to patriot park & our car just before fireworks to miss the mass exodus, and enjoyed an hour or so at the hotel pool before bed. Overall a great day. Timed well you can easily do the park in a day but we didn't push it because we have a 3-day pass & DS5 who likes to "watch the fireflies" ... Planning to go hiking tomorrow & spend some time sightseeing in the mountains.

That was not clear, sorry. I've done Dixie Stampede before, so I know we prefer that because our daughter really likes the horses.

Would you recommend staying at Dreammore if you are not going to Dollywood? We were hoping to take advantage of the splash pad/pool areas and amenities, etc.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't really answering your pertinent questions. Just putting a plug in for the Lumberjack Show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter