• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GASP! On check in I was advised by a CM to...

PrincessJen09 said:
I have a question. If kid's meals are allowed to be used for adult meals, then can an adult purchase the child's plan if they eat less?

No, the rules explicitly state that persons over the age of 9 pay the adult rate for the plan regardless of what they order.

Pedler said:
No, the rules explicitly state that persons over the age of 9 pay the adult rate for the plan regardless of what they order.

But parents of kids 3 to 9 can pay for the kid meal plan and use it to feed themselves. Anyone see what is wrong with this picture?

PrincessJen09 said:
I guess my major problem with all of this has to do with the question that I posted above. What about the families who have "adult" children that do not eat that much? They cannot save money while others can. That doesn't seem far.

Just because one group of people can participate in a savings that others can not doesn't make using that savings unfair. You could argue that Disney is providing a plan that doesn't treat everyone equally but your issue would be with Disney.

If it can go one way, then it should go the other way. It is already bad enough that the cut off is at 9, but they should allow you to buy a smaller adult meal plan for less money. Otherwise, I think that it is cheating and unfair to those of us that follow the rules and spend the money.

I don't understand the logic of this. The discussion has been if this use is allowed or not allowed. So far, with little dissent, the opinion seems to be that this is an allowed use of the plan. So using the plan as it is allowed wouldn't be considered cheating or unfair to others. The use of the plan in this manner has no direct impact on people in the situation you described.

It seems that your issue is that Disney has created a plan that allows some folks to have a monetary advantage, pay the child rate for the plan but use those credits for adult meals, and you feel that if they offer that advantage to one group then they should offer it to others. While that is a nice utopian sort of view there are several examples at WDW outside the dinning plan where this type of equity doesn't exist.

For example is it fair that someone that lives in the Florida Keys pays less for an annual pass than someone that lives in Georgia but is closer to Orlando?

Is it fair that there will be families of 4 that purchased packages with dinning for the end of August in January that are unaware they could have rebooked and gotten free dinning? They will be staying in the same hotels as people that payed the same rack rate for a room but got free dinning? Is if fair that they payed over $100 a day for dinning while the family next door got it for free? Shouldn't Disney have notified everyone that already booked to insure everyone should be treated equal?

Is it fair that a family with 2 17 year old teenagers doesn't pay a room surcharge for extra persons but a couple that add an extra adult does?

Setting aside the whole fair / unfair thing if a person uses the plan as it is allowed doesn't make it cheating. If that is cheating or if you are implying that people shouldn't use this feature of the plan because other people can't then I have to assume that in your desire for equitable treatment for all you wouldn't not accept free dinning when it is offered, or any other discount, unless Disney retroactively notified all persons that had already booked travel for that time and offered the discount to them as well. After all anything less wouldn't be fair. pirate:

Pedler said:
Just because one group of people can participate in a savings that others can not doesn't make using that savings unfair. You could argue that Disney is providing a plan that doesn't treat everyone equally but your issue would be with Disney.

I don't understand the logic of this. The discussion has been if this use is allowed or not allowed. So far, with little dissent, the opinion seems to be that this is an allowed use of the plan. So using the plan as it is allowed wouldn't be considered cheating or unfair to others. The use of the plan in this manner has no direct impact on people in the situation you described.

It seems that your issue is that Disney has created a plan that allows some folks to have a monetary advantage, pay the child rate for the plan but use those credits for adult meals, and you feel that if they offer that advantage to one group then they should offer it to others. While that is a nice utopian sort of view there are several examples at WDW outside the dinning plan where this type of equity doesn't exist.

For example is it fair that someone that lives in the Florida Keys pays less for an annual pass than someone that lives in Georgia but is closer to Orlando?

Is it fair that there will be families of 4 that purchased packages with dinning for the end of August in January that are unaware they could have rebooked and gotten free dinning? They will be staying in the same hotels as people that payed the same rack rate for a room but got free dinning? Is if fair that they payed over $100 a day for dinning while the family next door got it for free? Shouldn't Disney have notified everyone that already booked to insure everyone should be treated equal?

Is it fair that a family with 2 17 year old teenagers doesn't pay a room surcharge for extra persons but a couple that add an extra adult does?

Setting aside the whole fair / unfair thing if a person uses the plan as it is allowed doesn't make it cheating. If that is cheating or if you are implying that people shouldn't use this feature of the plan because other people can't then I have to assume that in your desire for equitable treatment for all you wouldn't not accept free dinning when it is offered, or any other discount, unless Disney retroactively notified all persons that had already booked travel for that time and offered the discount to them as well. After all anything less wouldn't be fair. pirate:

My point is that a parent can buy a child a cheaper dining plan and use it for themselves. On the other hand, a parent cannot buy a cheaper plan for their teenager and do the same thing. And a person who cannot eat as much as the adult plan offers cannot buy a smaller plan. I think that the people that do this are cheating and know that they are cheating. They are using others, the Cast Members, to make themselves not feel guilty. However, it is wrong. If it was not, then all adults would be able to buy the child's plan and use it for themselves. That is not what the plan was intended for. Come on people. Be honest with yourselves!

Your logic also does not make sure. I think Florida guests are offered a discount to get them there more because they are closer. This is an obvious marking ploy.

The company would not be able to notify every person that books a vacation when something changes. It is the person's responsibility to check on their reservations and call to make sure nothing has changed.

I am not saying whether what people are doing is fair. I am saying it is wrong and that is obvious.

PrincessJen09 said:
My point is that a parent can buy a child a cheaper dining plan and use it for themselves. On the other hand, a parent cannot buy a cheaper plan for their teenager and do the same thing. And a person who cannot eat as much as the adult plan offers cannot buy a smaller plan. I think that the people that do this are cheating and know that they are cheating. They are using others, the Cast Members, to make themselves not feel guilty. However, it is wrong. If it was not, then all adults would be able to buy the child's plan and use it for themselves. That is not what the plan was intended for. Come on people. Be honest with yourselves!

No, actually the evidence is to the contrary. The plan, and past plans, were allowed to be used this way. Go back and read the posts on this thread and others that discuss it. The only argument people have ever come up with to say this is wrong is that it is wrong just because they think it is or that it shouldn't be allowed regardless of what Disney does. Disney allows the use of the plan in this manner, CM's have offered this unsolicited advice, managers as restaurants have been asked this question and have said this is an allowed use of the plan. Just becuase it only works one way doesn't mean it isn't allowed.

Your logic also does not make sure. I think Florida guests are offered a discount to get them there more because they are closer. This is an obvious marking ploy.

The company would not be able to notify every person that books a vacation when something changes. It is the person's responsibility to check on their reservations and call to make sure nothing has changed.

I am not saying whether what people are doing is fair. I am saying it is wrong and that is obvious.

You had said:

Otherwise, I think that it is cheating and unfair to those of us that follow the rules and spend the money.

I was just pointing out that if your definition of fair is that the same deal has to be available to everyone then there are several things that Disney does that is unfair. I was showing some absurd examples of where people in similar situations pay different rates for the same thing at Disney to show why just because you don't like that the DDP doesn't let adults pay a kids rate and get a kids meal doesn't mean it is unfair or that the use of pooled credits in any manner is cheating or unfair. It appears that you view it is cheating even though Disney allows this just because you don't like that people use the plan in this manner. In essence you have made up a rule that you wish Disney had but doesn't and have determined that if people don't follow your imaginary rule then they are cheating.

I find there to be nothing immoral or wrong with people paying different rates for the same thing. This happens all the time in the real world. As long as people are working within the allowed rules of the system then if they are able to get a better deal than others hats off to them. I don't begrudge them because I paid more for the same thing.

If we are talking about fair. Is it fair that I am going to Disney during the free dining promotion but because I am staying on a campsite at Fort Wilderness I can't get free dining. I am however allowed to buy it. Is it fair that I can't get the dining plan at all if I have an annual pass? Is it fair that I have to have two reservations because you can't get the dining plan for longer than 10 nights so now I have to place two deposits to get a 15 night stay? Nope, life isn't fair, it is just the way it is.

FB

GoodFairies said:
Here is what I think is funny...the CM knows you had to have paid full price for your room to get the dining plan and that you had to purchase tickets and dining plan for each person in that room -- and the CM tells you to feel free to spend MORE money like it's some kind of deal. It sounds like a deal but the end result is more money for Disney, because you purchased the credits but now you are purchasing additional meals.

The biggest shock to me of all is, for a family that would do this...what are they using all their credits on? Signature meals? Because I can't fathom anyone saving credits to get more food than you already get with this plan. That's crazy.

Yes we ( 2 adults + 2 children ) are using them on:

1) character dinners
a) Chef Mickey ( 4 TS )
b) Cindy's Royal Table ( 8 TS0)
c) Donald's Breakfastsaurus ( 2 TS and pay for kids)
2) signature meals
Fantasmic Dinner package at Brown Derby ( 4 TS and pay for kids )
3) Park restaurants
a) San Angel Inn ( 2 TS and pay for kids)
b) Coral Reef ( 2 TS and pay for kids)
4) Resort restaurants
Whispering canyon ( 2 TS and pay for kids)

For 6 days this is 24 TS credits. However (my justification) if Disney did not want 2x TS for CRT and Brown Derby I would only have to pay for the children for one meal (actually none, since they could split). Also I cannot split a child's meal at buffets so I am forced to use a TS meal or OOP.

I think Disney has a good profit model and experience shows it. Remember an empty table is lost revenue, it costs more for an empty table than the meals. Also, by my example if you have individuals willing to fill a table and pay for at least some of the meal OOP (and possibly, several times) Disney will come out in the black every time. Not only that, with every character meal and experience the guests (especially the children) have the more they are exposed to the magic that keeps them coming back as often as they can ensuring generations of revenue. This is a great business model, especially when you are give free dining at the slowest/worst part of your business cycle every year to offset reductions in revenue. I am sure the accounting rules also allow certain benefits to be had by booking expenses differently.

People forget that first and foremost Disney is in business and business is about the bottom line.

Sorry for the rant.

I have been following this thread for some time and I honestly can't believe how bent out of shape some people get when they think they are in the right. Like the last poster and Pedler said Disney is not going to lose money by allowing this. It's not a crime to use a service that Disney allows. As for the people who write to Disney to get "official" policy just to try to prove somebody else is wrong -grow up and get a life. This reminds me of second grade tattle tales. You obviously have too much time on your hands!

Why wouldn't you want to do this?

I'd much rather pay OOP for the one child in our group for TS, and share the CS stuff, and be able to eat at a few more different places than not. And besides, my son doesn't really eat all that much, I'd really hate to waste a TS credit when he's not really going to use it.

I think, bottom-line, Disney wants its guests to be happy and they probably get questions/complaints about how limiting it is for kids to have to eat off the kid's menu. Being (almost) vegetarian(we eat some seafood), there's no way my DD5 is going to survive on mac and cheese or pizza for our entire stay. That is one reason I usually choose buffets(also faster, more time in the parks), but it's nice to know I can pay for her to eat some "real" food and not have to forfeit her credits.

sara74 said:
Why waste a day on travel?

Welllllll, I would love not to have to, but living in CA, I don't really have a choice. :(

Yeah, I know, I know :offtopic:

Oh, I'm so sleepy....I stayed up LATE last night reading all of these posts. It was so funny when I stumbled across the thread, because I had just been thinking "there's nothing interesting to read tonight, sure wish someone would start a mug thread! ":rotfl: :rotfl: What I love most about these threads is not only how entertained I am, but that every time one is started I get more new ideas on how to "ABUSE" the DDP when I arrive, :cool1: :thumbsup2 :Pinkbounc So...Dis police beware, all these rant threads are actually intesifying the issue and planting seeds for those of us who never would have dreamed up these schemes otherwise! :rotfl2: :yay:

i don't get why people are complaining. i'd be happy if a CM was trying to help me save money hahaha. and if you have a teenager who doesn't really eat much, then maybe you shouldn't use the dining plan. just a suggestion. OR, you could always pay OOP for the teen, and maybe just get an appetizer or something, and then use the credit for an adult who can eat a lot.

Please, please don't think that Disney is getting ripped off somehow when people pay OOP for kids or share meals. I'm certain that the heads around the table have talked about every eventuality involved with the DDP. Just think of how many people go home with unused credits! And please consider the fact that Disney has our "package" money for 45 days before we actually step foot on property, gaining interest in their bank account and not ours. And, if we need to cancel past 45 days out, they get to keep a part of that money.

I love Disney and am not out to rip anyone off, but I also like to get the best deal for my money AND make sure that the food my kids eat is something they want.

I also believe that Disney offers the appetizer and dessert in the hopes of changing people's pattern of eating. One day when the DDP goes away, we will all think we need to order an appetizer and a dessert with all our meals because we've been reprogrammed. (Of course, I don't mind the programming on the dessert part!! :goodvibes )

After looking at the menus and realizing that my children would not eat anything off of the childrens menus, I called and had them change my 2 youngest daughters to adults. It is during the free dining period so it just cost me $35 more each because of the difference in ticket prices.

Now my question is, since they don't distinguish between adult and child for DDP, are they going to try to make my children order off the childrens menu even though they are listed as adults on my reservation?

Cameo said:
Please, please don't think that Disney is getting ripped off somehow when people pay OOP for kids or share meals. I'm certain that the heads around the table have talked about every eventuality involved with the DDP. Just think of how many people go home with unused credits! And please consider the fact that Disney has our "package" money for 45 days before we actually step foot on property, gaining interest in their bank account and not ours. And, if we need to cancel past 45 days out, they get to keep a part of that money.

I love Disney and am not out to rip anyone off, but I also like to get the best deal for my money AND make sure that the food my kids eat is something they want.

I also believe that Disney offers the appetizer and dessert in the hopes of changing people's pattern of eating. One day when the DDP goes away, we will all think we need to order an appetizer and a dessert with all our meals because we've been reprogrammed. (Of course, I don't mind the programming on the dessert part!! :goodvibes )
You are soooo right! :thumbsup2

lholt70 said:
After looking at the menus and realizing that my children would not eat anything off of the childrens menus, I called and had them change my 2 youngest daughters to adults. It is during the free dining period so it just cost me $35 more each because of the difference in ticket prices.

Now my question is, since they don't distinguish between adult and child for DDP, are they going to try to make my children order off the childrens menu even though they are listed as adults on my reservation?

Many, many others on this board with more knowledge than I have, but I think if your dd are under age 9 then they WILL have to order off of the kids menu. The plan is pretty clear about this policy. It won't matter that you listed them as adults and paid more for credits, they will still fit the criteria of being 9 and under which requires them to order from the kids menu. Last year my 10 year old son was asked almost everywhere how old he was. I hope I'm wrong. My DS started to dislike kids menus at a younger age, also. But, if you look through the menus you can find quite a few places that have kids' meals that aren't just chicken strips and burgers. I can't recall places off the top of my head but I know I have seen steak, grilled chicken, fish, etc. on some kids menus. You could also do some buffets.

mlwear said:
Many, many others on this board with more knowledge than I have, but I think if your dd are under age 9 then they WILL have to order off of the kids menu. The plan is pretty clear about this policy. It won't matter that you listed them as adults and paid more for credits, they will still fit the criteria of being 9 and under which requires them to order from the kids menu. Last year my 10 year old son was asked almost everywhere how old he was. I hope I'm wrong. My DS started to dislike kids menus at a younger age, also. But, if you look through the menus you can find quite a few places that have kids' meals that aren't just chicken strips and burgers. I can't recall places off the top of my head but I know I have seen steak, grilled chicken, fish, etc. on some kids menus. You could also do some buffets.

I am not positive, but I think if the children were listed as adults, and adult prices were paid for the tickets, the card will have the total number of adults on the package. The CM's would then allow the number of adult credits on the card to be used. I cannot picture a CM "carding" a child to prove that they were 10 years old rather than 9 if the card indicated otherwise. We take a 4 YO, so I have no practical experience in this area.

lholt70 said:

I did the same thing with my 8 and 9 year olds, and I am also a little concerned on how to handle it when questioned by a CM. I certainly don't want to tell my kids they have to say they are 10,,,,yes I know the card will list them as adults, but I assume CM's do not ask to see the card up front, but rather ask the kids directly their ages. Perhaps I can just interject and say something like "we just have one (referring to my 6 yo) child on our dining plan, did you need to see our cards?" :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter