• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Galactic Starcruiser early bookings require points

Back to topic... I see that DVC members have to call the DVC membership line instead of the AP phone number. Does this mean that DVC members *MUST* use points to book during the opening phase, or simply one must be eligible to choose to use points or use cash?
If you call DVC to book, you must use points for at least one person. If you have an AP and only want to pay with cash, call the AP number.

Back to topic... I see that DVC members have to call the DVC membership line instead of the AP phone number. Does this mean that DVC members *MUST* use points to book during the opening phase, or simply one must be eligible to choose to use points or use cash?
The notice on the DVC page says at least one guest must be booked using points; the others can be with cash.

Thanks y'all. I did call DVC member services to confirm, and y'all are correct. It doesn't matter that AP can pay cash- DVC members are required to COMPLETELY book one person using points. It doesn't matter if you don't have enough points for one person. If you cannot completely pay for one person using points, you are not eligible to book in the DVC pre-booking period. You are told to use other booking means according to your circumstance: AP for AP holders and Disney Visa for those card holders, or simply wait for general booking on Oct 28.

I am beyond disappointed. I'm very unlikely to have enough points for this "Cruise" and it smarts on top of the general booking requirement to pay double as a solo traveler. Just venting mainly- I realize being able to Star Wars LARP while I was already there opening week is beyond first world problems. I had just been saving up for a while, and this seemed like a great opportunity that fizzled out. I'm going over to Toshi Station to pick up some power converters now....
:cutie:

Unfortunately my wife is the AP holder (mine expired) and she will never sit on the phone for 3 hours.

On the 12-16th, I will be at the parks and will not sit on the phone for 3 hours.

And there is no way I will have enough points.

So I am probably screwed too.

300 points and still $2400 cash. The only advantage of using points being able to book earlier.Given the prices I doubt it'll sell out in second, but I might underestimate demand, which at least at the beginning might be very high. Perhaps there'll be a rush for the opening week(s).
To me, as with all such exchanges, it seems a waste of points.

Re selling out, remember that many people visiting WDW are from other countries, There are a lot of wealthy people there that come to Disney. I've noticed this in the Grand Floridian hearing people speak other languages. Just don't know the COVID restrictions from those countries right now which may put a damper on it.

(Also, having thought about it, vloggers may not be able to take a ton of video in Starcruiser. At the prices being paid, it is defined as a "private" experience for guests, and there is a strong argument to be made that they cannot post video including other "passengers" on their trip for commercial purpose without legal releases for the use of their likeness. It's one thing to have someone in the background when you're in a theme park queue, this is quite another from an expectation of privacy standpoint.)

The third person pricing is 86 for an adult and 60 for a kid 3-9, regardless of dates, so if you are - or could be - a party of 3, you could book the third person on points and pay cash for the first two adults.

Looks about typical as a Disney Collection exchange rate, which is to say roughly equivalent to dues but highway robbery on modern direct points when calculating in buy in cost.

(Works great with mid-90s BWV points tho.)

The third person pricing is 86 for an adult and 60 for a kid 3-9, regardless of dates, so if you are - or could be - a party of 3, you could book the third person on points and pay cash for the first two adults.

Supposedly the information was wrong and you need to book the whole party on points.

If someone successfully only books for 1 person in party possibly they can confirm for everyone though.

Their website specifically says that is not true.

Their site has lots of incorrect information right now. There is also a chance that its true long term but not for the early booking window.

Not sure hopefully someone can book and confirm for everyone.

I'll be grateful if someone who gets through could ask whether the future year borrowing restriction will be exempt for this reservation points/Disney collection booking. If I can't borrow 100% then there's no way this would work.... unless book using a child/3rd person as surmised upthread. I mean, maybe I bring a Droid and count them as a person? Droids have feelings/names/personhood, too! :jester:

I'll be grateful if someone who gets through could ask whether the future year borrowing restriction will be exempt for this reservation points/Disney collection booking. If I can't borrow 100% then there's no way this would work.... unless book using a child/3rd person as surmised upthread. I mean, maybe I bring a Droid and count them as a person? Droids have feelings/names/personhood, too! :jester:

The future borrowing restriction remains in place.

The points don't disappear when used in Disney Collection. The points them get used to book DVC units that are put into cash reservations to "pay" for the out-of-DVC booking. So the reason for the borrowing restriction (space out points a bit more to mitigate demand) is still a factor for DC exchanges.

The future borrowing restriction remains in place.

The points don't disappear when used in Disney Collection. The points them get used to book DVC units that are put into cash reservations to "pay" for the out-of-DVC booking. So the reason for the borrowing restriction (space out points a bit more to mitigate demand) is still a factor for DC exchanges.

Except I have read they made exceptions for cruises and ABD. They don’t have to keep it in place for the trades if they don’t want to.

I can't believe they didn't even give DVC a one-day jump over APs. The point value is horrible, so it makes Disney even more money!

this is all too much - i think i'm going back to basics and just rent my regular dvc resorts and pay that kind of money to travel... as it was i spend well over what we should have for 3 nites at the contemporary just to be at MK on the actual Anniversary Day (which was kind of underwhelming considering it should have been a bigger deal that 1 day) when I had my resort stay on points reserved and wouldn't have cost me... I just can't see giving up a ton of points AND a few thousand as well - the force is gone with this one... :/

I successfully booked one person on points and the second person for cash. FYI- Full payment is due up front.
Could that have been because of your "sailing" dates? Dates within a certain period need full payment, right? Further out has other percentages due at booking, at #x days out, at #y days out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter