• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FYI, this is what happens when you sell your bib

Maybe we are looking at this the wrong way. This runner ran a 1:20 half. Maybe buying the bib from someone else made them run faster. Instead of "drive it like you stole it" it's "run it like you bought entrance illicitly".

:lmao:

I didn't mean to imply a bitter sounding tone and I don't want to start a popcorn fest I swear! Also if I am wrong about what I said and just spreading a dirty rumor I really want to be corrected on that fact. :)

:thumbsup2 on both points.

I feel like, since having kids, my running has become even more important to me. It's an escape, an outlet, something that I do just for ME, as opposed to everyone else. I sometimes have to take a kid in the jogging stroller, and I sometimes walk a 5K with a baby on my back instead of going for a PR, but for the most part I run by myself (well, with my German Shepherd, who has always been my running buddy) for my own sanity. :lmao: It means making changes (I now do most of my runs at 9 or 10 at night after the kids have gone to sleep) and sacrifices, but it doesn't need to be all or nothing.

I ran a 5 mile race last Saturday and got beaten by a guy pushing a toddler in a stroller. I was impressed. I plan to be that guy one day.

On a completely different side note don't feel as though you can't continue to race if you have a kid. At this point more than half of my friends who race just as often as I do have kids. Many of them bring the kids along and they do kids races at local 5k's. I ran with one of them just this past weekend in a half mile kids fun run. As long as you have a supporting spouse it can still be done.

I definitely agree with this! We have a 9 and 5 year old and we continue to train and race. We walk/run with the kids and do local (and Disney) 5k's with them. Honestly, it is a great family time for all of us. I love that our kids WANT to be active with us! :)

We are now past the jogging stroller phase, but for years my husband was one of those dads racing pushing 2 kids in a jogging stroller and still keeping under a 9:00 pace. Since we both run, training takes a little more planning and we don't do as many training runs together. But we usually tag team on training mornings and it works fine. I also enjoy some alone time during my solo runs so that works out too. We also find ways to take the kids along for the races and they love cheering and watching their parents race. I have always enjoyed running with my husband and can't wait to run more races with my kids! All of this to say that you may have to change your expectations and your training, but you can definitely continue running after kids!

I have never needed to, but I really think RD should offer a transfer system for the bibs even if there is a fee involved for the process.

I didn't mean to imply a bitter sounding tone and I don't want to start a popcorn fest I swear! Also if I am wrong about what I said and just spreading a dirty rumor I really want to be corrected on that fact. :)

Not at all! I was rolling my eyes at Run Disney for their hypocrisy on the matter. I agree with what you wrote. :)

It is pretty dumb that Disney does not have some official bib transfer system in place.

The yearly Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta has something like 60,000 runners, and they have an official transfer system in place for a small fee. My guess is they have a lot less resources than Disney does, yet they manage to pull it off.

Seems to me like Disney is leaving a good amount of money on the table. If someone cannot run for whatever reason and is able to find another person to transfer their bib to, then by all means let them.

These Disney races are so popular that my guess is that finding people to transfer bibs to would never be an issue. Disney could even set a cutoff date where no further transfers were allowed.

I completely agree with this. They could make more money if they charged a small fee for transfers, which would also ensure that they've got an able-bodied runner coming to the world and spending their money during the race weekend. And it would engender greater goodwill. It's 2013, people.

But I also agree with this:

If the guy who bought the bib simply removed the timing strip from the back, then there w/b no issues with awards if, as in this case, the person was that fast.

Do the race. Get your medal. Go home.

It's not as though having the timing chip is going to get your name even on the results web page, and you won't interfere with the standings of others.

You sign up for a race, you do so under RunDisney's current policies. Policy sucks, but if you don't like it you don't have to sign up.

The thing is, at marathon weekend this was brought up REPEATEDLY. And the fact that he "hadn't really trained for it." Even in the pre-race show out by the corrals, by none other than Rudy himself. This kind of behavior is probably why Joey Fatone didn't win Dancing with the Stars, and it's why Justin wanted him off his stage during the VMAs. Justin would've trained and qualified for Boston.

I bought a bib for the 5k in January and ran as a 5 year old boy. Absolutely no shame here aside from the fact that had it been timed, I still would've lost to all the other 5 year old boys. Plus I think a LOT more people would buy/sell bibs (myself included) if there was a legit way to do it. As it stands I'm mostly afraid I'll pay someone for their bib and be unable to pick it up.

Unfortunately, Disney is not the only large race that does not allow you to sell your bid or give refunds. Basically, no matter what your personal reason is, you signed an agreement to follow that current rule. You don't have to like it, but you did agree to it in order to run. I can't even imagine what would happen if one of those downed runners was racing under someone else's bib.:confused3

That being said, if they made provisions to allow it in the future, that would be nice for those who find it necessary. I was under the impression that people were already allowed to delay their own race to a future one for a small fee.

I think Joey Fatone got in under the celebrity rule. The same one that qualifies them all for corral A;)

Unfortunately, Disney is not the only large race that does not allow you to sell your bid or give refunds. Basically, no matter what your personal reason is, you signed an agreement to follow that current rule. You don't have to like it, but you did agree to it in order to run. I can't even imagine what would happen if one of those downed runners was racing under someone else's bib.:confused3

That being said, if they made provisions to allow it in the future, that would be nice for those who find it necessary. I was under the impression that people were already allowed to delay their own race to a future one for a small fee.

I think Joey Fatone got in under the celebrity rule. The same one that qualifies them all for corral A;)

THIS! Boston, NYC and Chicago are three I can think of right off the top of my head that do not allow bib transfers. Pretty sure RnR doesn't either (not that I hold them up as a paragon of anything other than debacles).

And yes, for a fee you can defer a race. I know several people who have done that.

The thing is, even with a system in place, there has to be a cut-off (Cherry Blossom 10 and MCM I know have transfer systems in place and there is a cut-off point after which transfers are not allowed.) One big advantage of an official system is that you know no one is going to jack the price up - something that has no guarantee outside of a legal system. But once the cut-off point happens, you know that people will still chance it illegally. I applaud the races that do follow through and DQ people. (And in some cases (I know NYRR states it...whether it's followed or not I'm unclear) it gets you DQed from ANY future events.)

I've never bought or sold a bib but have given one to a daughter when a knee surgery sidelined me from my second Mickey medal, and worn my daughters bib for a half in May she was injured for. (She signed up and wanted to donate the medal to the local children's hospital, which is evidently common at this particular race so on the way out we donated her medal she let me run for.)

Follow the money... if Disney allowed transfers of bibs then all these sell out races would start to show up on ebay, etc creating a secondary market where Disney does not get to profit from.

As soon as they figure out they can capture this market, it will happen.

I definitely agree with this! We have a 9 and 5 year old and we continue to train and race. We walk/run with the kids and do local (and Disney) 5k's with them. Honestly, it is a great family time for all of us. I love that our kids WANT to be active with us! :)

We are now past the jogging stroller phase, but for years my husband was one of those dads racing pushing 2 kids in a jogging stroller and still keeping under a 9:00 pace. Since we both run, training takes a little more planning and we don't do as many training runs together. But we usually tag team on training mornings and it works fine. I also enjoy some alone time during my solo runs so that works out too. We also find ways to take the kids along for the races and they love cheering and watching their parents race. I have always enjoyed running with my husband and can't wait to run more races with my kids! All of this to say that you may have to change your expectations and your training, but you can definitely continue running after kids!

I have never needed to, but I really think RD should offer a transfer system for the bibs even if there is a fee involved for the process.

i agree about continuing to train even when you have kids. i started back running when my youngest was 18 months (yes. i was lazy for a bit after having him). sometimes, i push him in the stroller and sometimes i run solo. when i do take him, he loves it. as long as he has a drink and snacks, he's good to go. during these hotter months, when i do take him, i'm a little slower and i sometimes need walking breaks, but that's okay. i don't take him on long runs. and sometimes, i'll take him for the first part of the run and then drop him off to continue my run. it sure makes running without the stroller seem easy. ha!

it's not always the easiest thing, but it can be done.

Sean Astin started this year's Princess in C with the other men. I started in B and got to high-five him as I crossed the start line - he was just hanging out waiting for his start.

Sean Astin started this year's Princess in C with the other men. I started in B and got to high-five him as I crossed the start line - he was just hanging out waiting for his start.

He did. At princess the celebrities started off standing with the A corral but the male celebrities then stood off to the side until corral C started. They dropped off into the front of C. I was hoping I'd get to talk with Sean as he dropped into C right next to me, but DW started off at a 7mm pace and we quickly lost him.

Very cool:thumbsup2

Hey, that means he was in my corral and I missed him! From now on,I'll have to keep an eye out.

Is there a proper way to purchase a bib? With some races selling out in record time sometimes people just miss out on the opportunity to register which has happened to me. I've seen people post on FB sites that they have a bib to sell and although I sometimes I am interested I would want the bib in my name.

Is there a proper way to purchase a bib? With some races selling out in record time sometimes people just miss out on the opportunity to register which has happened to me. I've seen people post on FB sites that they have a bib to sell and although I sometimes I am interested I would want the bib in my name.

If registration sells out through the runDisney site, currently the only way to legally obtain a bib is through a travel provider that has a contract with runDisney or through a charity organization.

Follow the money... if Disney allowed transfers of bibs then all these sell out races would start to show up on ebay, etc creating a secondary market where Disney does not get to profit from.

As soon as they figure out they can capture this market, it will happen.

If the bib transfers happened within the RunDisney/active site, maybe they could eliminate people up charging for the bibs? And collect a transfer fee. I am not tech savvy, but I would think, SOMEHOW, this would be possible??

I agree with the PP who commented that if bib transfers were allowed, that much more money would be pumped in to Disney via vacation dollars being spent there. I mean, you are looking at thousands of dollars lost PER RUNNER who does not attend a race they are registered for..

Just my little two pennies on the subject. Let's start a petition! Would that help? lol:woohoo:

If the bib transfers happened within the RunDisney/active site, maybe they could eliminate people up charging for the bibs? And collect a transfer fee.

Since these races always sell out, what would prevent someone from buying up a ton of registrations, waiting until the month before and scalping them like they're sporting event tickets? It seems like an easy thing to implement until you start thinking about the actual implementation...

Since these races always sell out, what would prevent someone from buying up a ton of registrations, waiting until the month before and scalping them like they're sporting event tickets? It seems like an easy thing to implement until you start thinking about the actual implementation...

What would the benefit be to that person if they couldn't make any money off of it? That's why I wondered if there would be a way to transfer the bibs within the RunDisney/Active site. (Where RD controls the transfer) So, actually, I was thinking about the implementation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter